cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess we can start this now that Christmas is over...

Post your best and worse memory of camping in 2019.

Best: Prince Edward Island. Beautiful scenery, nice people, great seafood, excellent french fries.

Worse: Driving home from PEI in a hurricane. We left early because we wanted to be off the bridge before they closed it, but we still hit about an hour of high winds and heavy rains in New Brunswick.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
29 REPLIES 29

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œFirst damage while parking in 8 years of RVingโ€

Still waiting for my first. It will come!

Yeah, surprised the heck out of me. Just like kids, the moment I made contact and everyone realized what happens- all those old fogies scattered like Mom was coming!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad to see so many members enjoying our great state of Michigan! ๐Ÿ™‚

Our best was camping at my sons private family campground that he built up in the northern Michigan woods. It is a full hookup campground for our families use that can accomodate 6 rigs up there if everybody attends at the same time! :C

Some of the family rigs.

My worst time was having to permanently park our trailer up there and not use it to travel any more. I am getting kind of old (almost 83) and although I have no problems driving as of now, I found it hard to do all the other things necessary to travel via RV. Bending over, hooking up, unhooking, setting up utilities, chairs, awning, etc. all became too much for these old bones so we decided to stop travelling and permanently park our rig to be used a our "summer place" now. That was a very hard decision for me and I still miss it very much.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm terrible at picking favorites - I loved all our trips this past year - our best year ever.

So I asked dh and I'll go with that...

The best was our spring trip to Michigan which included Tulip Time in Holland:

Sleeping Bear Dunes:

And Tahquamenon Falls in the UP:

It was not possible to pick a worst. It really was an exceptional year.

If you want to see where else we went click on the Trip Pics link in my signature.

Happy New Year to ALL!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Best for this year was me, my 13 year old daughter (youngest), and our dog at the a Mahoning Drive Inn, in Pennsylvania. We had a great time for Christmas in July. No electric, so we brought an inverter and 4 car batteries wired in parallel for these lights and inflatables. We didnโ€™t know it then, but that would end up being our dogs last camping trip.

Worst trip was a few weeks later in August. Started out great with me and 5 kids and perfect weather, but while packing up sunday, I slipped and cut my hand right thru nerves and tendons. Extensive surgery, Then to top it off, my bosses dad died later that day, and then next day we had to put the dog down immediately before the wake! Like literally got changed into my suit in the vet parking lot, then to the funeral home. Been out of work ever since, but going back finally next week.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best was the trip around the N shore of Lake Superior.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Worst was getting stuck trying to move the last 50' to my parking spot at the Oskosh EAA show & losing a 1/2 day of show time getting out.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œFirst damage while parking in 8 years of RVingโ€

Still waiting for my first. It will come!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jim_n_Steph
Explorer
Explorer
The best Gatlinburg and UP Michigan trips with grandkids

The worst putting trailer away for winter storage the season is to short
2003 Silverado 1500HD Vortec 6.0 4.10 2012 Flagstaff 831FKBSS

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
Best ....a few days in Key West

Worst...having to leave the Keys.

Best was 3 wonderful weeks with the TT in several locations across Saskatchewan.
A family reunion, reconnecting with many cousins I haven't seen in years, the peace and quiet of various campgrounds, nestled in amongst the trees.
Day trips to just wander by the lake, sightseeing way out in the countryside with hardly a soul in sight. Visiting quaint little towns and enjoying all they had to offer.
Meeting friendly people both in and out of the CGs. We were invited to a weekend party in the site across from us. They had several instruments among them, and performed an impromptu jam session. It was all wonderful.

The worst was right at the end when we were packing up to go home.
Nasty storm clouds looming overhead, I was hurrying to put everything away and hitch up before the imminent rain struck. Backed the truck up to the TT, was cranking it up to drop it on the hitch and the jack collapsed, sending the nose of the trailer crashing to the ground.
Meanwhile, the rain started. And rain it did. Torrential downpour, and I spent the next 2 hours trying to pick the nose of the trailer up off the ground and get it on the hitch. Bottle jack and lots of wood blocks, finally got it done, but not before I was soaked to the skin.
We were many hours late leaving, had an 8 hour drive to get home, and pulled in very late in the evening.

But it was a great trip all in all! Life is good!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Quite a few bests - our RVing friends rallying together to take care of us after my wife had surgery; being able to stick around Orlando so my daughter could shadow a professional photographer for 4 or 5 weeks; and just being together as a family.

The Balloon Fiesta continues to be a top event for our family:

My worst was damaging my truck while backing into an impossible to park at spot (for a 44' fifth wheel, at least). I had 5 people all speaking French at me, telling me about a fence I could see and made me forget about a light pole. First damage while parking in 8 years of RVing.

Here's the spot:
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many rainy days camping. It's highlighting the need for better internet setup

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
To more adventures in the Sierra for all.

Tuttle Creek, BLM campground near Lone Pine, CA, on a cold day

Worst - All the generators running endlessly at Pismo Beach SP
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best of 2019... our annual summer week in Pagosa Springs right on the San Juan River. Six days of exploring southern Colorado on my Indian motorcycle including the trip to the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad for the all day ride between Antonito and Chama.

A close second was a week in Angel Fire NM riding our Rzr including a run up to the top of Greenie Peak {11,300'} out of Red River.

Worst event was the blowout on westbound I-10 109 miles from the Colorado River last October. Spent 2.5 hours in the dead zone on the shoulder when the drivers side outer dually grenaded doing over $4,000 damage to the wheelwell. Having a spare ready to go saved our butt's.

:C

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Last April, ran into a storm in Grand Canyon - S Rim ... got some awesome storm
photos, camped in the snow for a few days. Beautiful, with storm clouds settled in the canyon.

Ran into a snow storm a few days later, had to turn east over I-70 in the snow. Took the loooooooooooong grade down toward Denver in the snow at 45 mph in 4x4 with truck camper. Lots of cars and trucks speeding past 65 mph plus, some of which we spotted later off the side of the banks waiting for a tow truck.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Best: Trip to Michigan's upper peninsula with a group of old friends.

Worst: Didn't have one.

Most entertainment: The guy with the huge, shiny new TT who spent the better part of an hour trying to level up on a paved, pull thru pad. Probably would have taken about ten minutes, but his wife was helping...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP