cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2WD Excursion fishtails

Misterk3
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2002 Excursion 2WD with the 6.8. I have a 26' travel trailer @ approx. 5200 lbs loaded weight. I was driving a new asphalt patch of highway in a light rain and the Ex started fishtailing at times in a crosswind.

I have been researching forums and found this to be a typical problem.

I have used two other vehicles to tow the same rig using the same brake controller and anti-sway hitch and trailer loaded the same way and never encountered this before. One was a 1999 F150 2WD and the other was a 2001 GMC 2500 pickup (not the HD).

I am wondering if anyone here has any advice on mods to fix the problem.

I am leaning toward installing F250 rear springs and Gas Magnum Monroe shocks. I have also read much about using the Hellwig 7643 sway bar kit and heavier shocks.

A WD hitch is out of play as I can't really afford it right now plus it shouldn't be required if my suspension is up to the task.

Any help is useful. Thanks.
34 REPLIES 34

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad it worked out, enjoy some camping now.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good to hear! After i found out you had the wrong tires, I know of figured that would be the cure! Glad to know its towing as it should!

Have fun!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Misterk3
Explorer
Explorer
Update! I finally took the improved rig out for a good long tow. 178 miles into the middle of nowhere Iowa. I put on new tires Load range E adjusted to 65 rear and 60 front, adjusted the roadmaster set up which had not been adjusted by the original installer, reset the WD hitch using a YouTube video from Curt and installed a new sway control friction brake. She is very solid now and predictable when crosswinds pick up. I had no problem in 30 mph gusts and it never even twitched when we hit the interstate and got passed by semis.

The better rated tires even improved the regular ride and handling immensely.

Thanks again for all your help. Without this solid advice I could have spent a ton of money on upgrades. As it worked out the investment was pretty minimal.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
The tires are likely the problem. P rated tires on a 3/4 ton truck is asking for trouble.

Good move changing them.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

I agree, this and an improperly set up hitch are the issues. Suspension upgrades may help but only mask the actual cause.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
The tires are likely the problem. P rated tires on a 3/4 ton truck is asking for trouble.

Good move changing them.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

That is actually illegal in countries who enforce their vehicle agency codes

Plus, if found out and about...they will boot or impound the vehicle till
it is fixed

If an accident (not from these under-class tires but from something
else), the authorities can and do fine/revoke licenses/jail/etc the
installing dealer. As they will check everything about the vehicles
involved

Sure wish our regulatory agencies do their job that well
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II

Good move changing them.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Misterk3 wrote:
Well thanks for all the great advice it has kept me digging. I found out my tires that were new before I bought the truck are only 4 ply. I already called my tire guy and I will upgrade to load range E tires. There is a set of Roadmaster assist springs on it from a previous owner. I am adding a friction control this weekend and my guy at the local rv place will weigh the tongue and trailer plus double check the wd setup. I am confident this will help.

So your saying someone put "P" tires on your X?!!!! As in P265/75/16!

It happens more often than you'd like to think.

And yet we get frustrated when legitimate tire dealers are hesitant to install anything other than what's on door sticker...
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Misterk3
Explorer
Explorer
That is what was on it when I bought it two months ago. It's not all lost. My tire guy is giving me credit for the take offs.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Misterk3 wrote:
Well thanks for all the great advice it has kept me digging. I found out my tires that were new before I bought the truck are only 4 ply. I already called my tire guy and I will upgrade to load range E tires. There is a set of Roadmaster assist springs on it from a previous owner. I am adding a friction control this weekend and my guy at the local rv place will weigh the tongue and trailer plus double check the wd setup. I am confident this will help.

So your saying someone put "P" tires on your X?!!!! As in P265/75/16!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to check or adjust the Roadmasters (before they send the discs), a quarter is aboot right for the max setting and a dime is good for the lowest setting. Need to do the adj with the wheel or wheels off the ground.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Misterk3
Explorer
Explorer

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
Misterk3;

You NEED to find load range E tires to put on that Excursion. Originally these guys shipped with load range D and then were hit with I believe a class action suit where they were changed to E's. Going over the scales your empty Excursion will weigh more than an F250 CC. If your only putting in 40psi I wouldn't be sure you even have range D tires on there and the sidewall flex will be scary.

The spring rate on the Excursion is not the best, but I will tell you I towed my 8000lb travel trailer last summer a few times without any suspension modifications and it did "decent". I have since upgraded the hitch to an Equalizer 1,000lb WD hitch, Hellwig rear sway bar, airbags, KYB Monomax shocks and new load range E tires.

World of difference.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP should have LR "E" tires on his Excursion. If he does I would set them at 65 front and 70 rear and reset the WD hitch. it should tow very well.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Tires with firmer sidewalls will have less flex and side-to-side squirm than those Discoverers. Another factor may be the Excursion's rear overhang length, if it is greater than your previous tow vehicle's; but of course you can't change that. If your currently planned changes don't yield the desired results, consider changing the tires at your next opportunity.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point