cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitch?

baggy_pants
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any mystery's here? Ya get a 16,000 GVWR 5th wheel so you buy a 16,000 lb. hitch, right? Any manufacturer recommendations?
11 REPLIES 11

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
Look at it this way....

You stop at the store to buy a gallon of your favorite adult beverage with your one gallon pail. So you stop and get it filled level full to the brim (1 gallon) and then start driving home over a bumpy road. You beverage starts to slop over the top and by the time you get home you have your pail about 3/4 full.

Now you realize that if you had brought a 1.25 gallon pail and put in one gallon, you would have had room to slosh and you would have gotten home with a gallon of your beverage.

This applies to the hitch as well. Yes it is rated for a 16,000# RV. Just the same as your one gallon pail. It held one gallon fine until you started to subject it to lifes normal road abuse.

I'd go on up and get an 18,000# hitch and then no worries.

Ken

Nothing wrong with a safety margin at all but as far as B&W hitches are concerned they have a huge safety margin. I have talked to them about it. They rate exactly what you can safely tow at. Very easy to see if you compare their hitches to other they are much stronger for the exact rating.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Look at it this way....

You stop at the store to buy a gallon of your favorite adult beverage with your one gallon pail. So you stop and get it filled level full to the brim (1 gallon) and then start driving home over a bumpy road. You beverage starts to slop over the top and by the time you get home you have your pail about 3/4 full.

Now you realize that if you had brought a 1.25 gallon pail and put in one gallon, you would have had room to slosh and you would have gotten home with a gallon of your beverage.

This applies to the hitch as well. Yes it is rated for a 16,000# RV. Just the same as your one gallon pail. It held one gallon fine until you started to subject it to lifes normal road abuse.

I'd go on up and get an 18,000# hitch and then no worries.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

baggy_pants
Explorer
Explorer
All good information, thank you all for your input. I like to have it and not need it rather then need it and not have it, B&W sounds like the best bet. Have a Happy Easter, thanks again.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
16K GVWR trailer............then get 18K rated hitch

Always get a hitch rated at least 1000# higher than GVWR of trailer being towed.

Safety margin!

Nothing wrong with your philosophy but the fact is the hitches already have the "safety margin" built in.

That can be said about tires, wheels, frames, king pins, etc. etc. but I like 'added' margins.

Kinda belt/suspenders :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Always get a hitch rated at least 1000# higher than GVWR of trailer being towed.

Safety margin!

Nothing wrong with your philosophy but the fact is the hitches already have the "safety margin" built in.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Halmfamily wrote:
We went from a Reese 16k to a B&W Companion and will never own anything but the B&W. Spend the extra money and get a top quality hitch with at least a 20K rating that way you'll never have to buy another one. Good luck.

I would suggest this one. Then you really won't have to buy another one!

RVK3600 25K towing and 6,500# pin.

SULTINI
Explorer
Explorer
I have a B& W Patriot. I really like it . It's paired with a Reese Revolution Pin box. Nice setup.
SULTINI
#1 18'NOMAD, #2 20'MALLARD #3 27'SUNLINE #4 30'C FOUR WINDS #5 40' INNSBRUCK. #6 28' AMERI LITE. #7 Forest River FW.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Technically, sure, 16k hitch for 16k trailer should be Okay... but I would feel more comfy with an 18 or 20k hitch.

Check out the B&W hitches.. very good IMHO.

If you have rails in your truck you can get the B&W Patriot or if you don't have anything you have the option to get rails installed or have a B&W Turnover ball Gooseneck installed and use a B&W Companion hitch. The advantage is that you have a completely flat bed when the hitch is removed.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Safety margin!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a Reese 16k to a B&W Companion and will never own anything but the B&W. Spend the extra money and get a top quality hitch with at least a 20K rating that way you'll never have to buy another one. Good luck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you will never tow a heavier FW, than the 16K, then the 16K hitch will work just fine.

Many people say to buy the hitch, for the rating of the trucks capacity. That way you will have it covered, if you go bigger, or tow a friends heavier FW.

What hitch you get depends on truck bed and style hitch you want.

Jerry