cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

20 lb propane tanks

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed that some of the new model trailers are coming with 20 lb propane tanks like the ones they sell at Walmart and other retailers. I can see the convenience of that. Anyone change their tanks to accommodate them instead of the standard 30 pounders?
40 REPLIES 40

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
spadoctor wrote:
.....why I said was the new regulation says you can only put 17 lbs in a 20lb tank...less then the 80% rule. Many places still do 80% but it is no longer legal because of issues with the OPD. Guess I could have been a little clear

You could be clearer by linking to this regulation, including where it may apply, and explaining what the "issues" are with OPD valves so we can all see judge for ourselves. My tanks are always filled to 80% capacity - 5lbs for my 5 pounder, 10 lbs for my 10 pounder, 20 lbs for my three 20 pounders, and 30 lbs for the two 30 pounders that were on our previous travel trailer ... all weights verified before and after filling, as is my usual procedure, by putting the tanks on a scale ... also verified by the Costco fill slip I'm handed by the tech who weighs the tank before and after each fill.

Yes, please do clarify this issue. Is it possible it is a New York regulation?
It certainly is not done that way here in Montana. Here, the tech connects the hose and fills until the OPD shuts off the flow or the 80% valve (spitter valve) spits out liquid propane, whichever occurs first. then the valves are shut off, the hose disconnected, and I pay according to the meter reading. The cylinder is not weighed before or after filling. If I get three cylinders filled at the same time, the meter is not reset until all three are filled to 80%, then I pay for the meter reading, which is the total for all three cylinders. That is the way it is done everyplace I have purchased propane during the last 20 years, in several states in the West.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
The manufacturers are putting 20# tanks to save weight and $$$$.

AND my aging back! Good!! :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have two 40# tanks and no way would I want less.

The manufacturers are putting 20# tanks to save weight and $$$$.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Quartermoon
Explorer
Explorer
Our Open Range came with 3 20-pounders, and I think it's a great setup. First of all, I can actually lift them when full, and I'm usually the one who ends up getting them filled. Plus the propane bay is under the fiver nose which means you have to bend over the whole time you are loading or unloading them. Second, there's always a spare back there, even if you've already switched the valve to the second tank then forgotten you did that. We always take them to a local place to get them filled/topped off, but I like the fact that if we were out camping I have the option of doing a swap at a local convenience store. We do some cold weather camping, and I REALLY don't want to run out of propane.
2016 Ford F250
2014 Open Range Light 318RL

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
spadoctor wrote:
.....why I said was the new regulation says you can only put 17 lbs in a 20lb tank...less then the 80% rule. Many places still do 80% but it is no longer legal because of issues with the OPD. Guess I could have been a little clear

You could be clearer by linking to this regulation, including where it may apply, and explaining what the "issues" are with OPD valves so we can all see judge for ourselves. My tanks are always filled to 80% capacity - 5lbs for my 5 pounder, 10 lbs for my 10 pounder, 20 lbs for my three 20 pounders, and 30 lbs for the two 30 pounders that were on our previous travel trailer ... all weights verified before and after filling, as is my usual procedure, by putting the tanks on a scale ... also verified by the Costco fill slip I'm handed by the tech who weighs the tank before and after each fill.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
I DID NOT say you did not have the 80% rule on 30lb tanks.....why I said was the new regulation says you can only put 17 lbs in a 20lb tank...less then the 80% rule. Many places still do 80% but it is no longer legal because of issues with the OPD. Guess I could have been a little clear

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm the only one that wished mine had 40#ers...

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I go to the exchange places to get a new #20 tank that's good for another 11 or 12 years... For $20, I get a new tank and some propane in it... When I empty it, I take that tank and refill it like you do for your big #30 tanks... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ever price a new #20 tank from the store.. $30 at least, then you have to now fill it!

All the exchange places I go to, I can pick the tank I want, and I just look for one that has a recent date stamp on it.. Pretty simple. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But, do whatever works best for you.. I've got 3 other #20 tanks at home that I use for the bbq and Mr. Heater and a spare. Plus, if I need one, I have pulled a tank off the trailer when I needed it for the house.. Then I get it filled when I can.

I've gone to the exchange place 4 times now. Still have one more that's within a year of needing to be replaced. Guess where I'll go at that time? ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
My "ultra light" trailer had the 2 20 pound tanks, all to keep the weight down

We have 5 or 6 tanks that we rotate from the trailer to the gas grill then when empty we fill them for $16. Once I have 2 full it is time to put them back on the trailer.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Scooter86
Explorer
Explorer
I probably average around 40 pounds use per year in my rv. I have had 30 lb tanks in the past, and now 20lb tanks. The smaller tanks are definitely easier to change out. I usually check levels before a trip anyways, and bring a spare 20 to run my camp stove anyway.

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a ton of people in my neighborhood throw away grills with tanks still attached. I now have 8 tanks and get them filled at camping world during the 25% Off days. I only emptied 1 tank once on a trip and that was a 19 day trip
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm just a weekend camper. I'm happy to have the small tanks. I only go through about two a year and it's so easy to go almost anywhere and exchange them for 20 bucks.I do like the convenience of it.

There is only one place that I know of within 40 miles of me that fills the 30 pound , or larger, propane tanks. They can only do it from 9-5 on the weekdays. I'm sure there are more if I go out to the 70 mile range. But, I don't get to those places that often.

If I have the time I can fill any tank myself from the large tank hooked to the hog barn on the farm. I do this for the ones I use for my backyard grill. I have to. They are still the old style tanks and you can not get them filled in town anymore. I'm not even sure the exchange place will take them.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that propane exchange is not a good value simply based on the price. Didn't realize you weren't getting a full tank, so that makes it even less of a good deal. But... this thread was about 20# vs. 30# tanks. I do normally take my tanks to a local feed store that fills by the gallon for a very reasonable price. I do this for two reasons - I usually bring them in with some propane still left in the tank and it's cheaper.

However, if I failed to plan ahead and need propane while I'm on a trip, it's awfully convenient to be able to just pop into a local gas station/convenience store and exchange a tank rather than driving who knows how far for a fill station.
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just took an old 30 pounder to the propane place

New valve 25.00..Valve switch and recert Free Re-fill 25 dollars. (about 24 pounds)

20 pounder at swap-a-tank with 15 pounds in it 50 bucks Swap a tank 25.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times