cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitch

allana
Explorer
Explorer
I have a chevy 2500 diesel and pull a 36 ft Bristol bay by sunny Brook. I have bottom of line reese hitch. When I am pulling I get alot of boucing in my truck. Need to buy better 5th wheel hitch and looking for the best to use for smooth ride
20 REPLIES 20

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
allana wrote:
My Reese hitch is hard to latch and unlatch at times. Know there is something wrong with hitch with this problem.

2 things 1'st put light pressure on the pin in reverse, then set parking brake before putting in park. That few inches the truck rolls in park will bind the slidebar. 2'nd pull the slide just after putting the landing gear on the ground. As the pin comes up it slides back, putting pressure on the slidebar.
Also the more level the trailer tows, the less jerking you get going down the road. A new hitch may take out the jerking of starts and stops, but not that from bumps at speed.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
allana wrote:
I have added airbags to truck. I have more of a jerking than bouncing. My Reese hitch is hard to latch and unlatch at times. Know there is something wrong with hitch with this problem. My rv sets low in rear but unable to lower front any more due bed clearence.

Being nose high/low in rear, will cause the FW to pitch back/forth. Adding shocks to the FW will help, as would an air pin box.

The Patriot I mentioned has rubber mounts, that the hitch head rides on, so it would help some too.

IMO, the B&Ws are among the easiest, to hitch/unhitch, at any angle, or off level. Look at Tweety's .com, for best price, free shipping.

Jerry

#1 get it level the rear axle will have a harder time with bumps than the front with the 5er nose high.

#2 PIN WEIGHT, make sure you have at least 15% should be closer to 20%.

#3 Shocks on the 5er, will cut down on bounce which you will feel as jerk.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
allana wrote:
I have added airbags to truck. I have more of a jerking than bouncing. My Reese hitch is hard to latch and unlatch at times. Know there is something wrong with hitch with this problem. My rv sets low in rear but unable to lower front any more due bed clearence.

Being nose high/low in rear, will cause the FW to pitch back/forth. Adding shocks to the FW will help, as would an air pin box.

The Patriot I mentioned has rubber mounts, that the hitch head rides on, so it would help some too.

IMO, the B&Ws are among the easiest, to hitch/unhitch, at any angle, or off level. Look at Tweety's .com, for best price, free shipping.

Jerry

since you brought up Tweetys,I was talking to them about a new hitch and I asked the guy on the sales desk"what hitch do you guys use?".The Boss uses an Andersen Ultimate(replacing his B&W) and everyone else uses assorted PullRites.that really got me confused as to whart to get.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
allana wrote:

Jerry

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the Pro Series 16k hitch.

There are two out there. One of them is a slide bar hitch and one is the standard Reese dual jaw hitch. OP...which do you have?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

allana
Explorer
Explorer

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Do the no/low cost stuff first. Start by making sure your bakes are adjusted correctly. Next go to the scales and see where your weights are. If your brakes are working with the truck and the pin is not light then consider hitch/suspension changes and/or add on items like air. A total new hitch can be expensive although you might recover some cost by selling the old one on Craigs.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Get a new pinbox that has air ride. there are several manufacturers.

e-Trailer Air Ride Pin Box
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had the Pro 16K also and agree about clanking. I thought that it came from too loose nylon bushings that are supposed to cushion, but are just too soft.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
schlep1967 wrote:
Bouncing as in up and down? That would not be a hitch issue. Most likely a suspension issue. Like suggested above go to a scale and figure out your pin weight. Could be a set of airbags would smooth things out for you a lot cheaper than a hitch that will not change the issue.

If by bounce you mean forward backward jerk that would be the hitch.

If you mean up and down, then this is time to look at Pin weight, 5er level. and shocks for both the TV and 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
sayoung wrote:
allana wrote:
I have a chevy 2500 diesel and pull a 36 ft Bristol bay by sunny Brook. I have bottom of line reese hitch. When I am pulling I get alot of boucing in my truck. Need to buy better 5th wheel hitch and looking for the best to use for smooth ride

I have a Reese Pro 16K that I am disgusted with how much slop there is on the jaws.we get a "CLANK" with every start and stop.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot, get a thin plastic conduit box cover (in blue in the picture), drill a hole in the center the size of the hitch shaft, cut out one side so that it is in the shape of a C, push it down on the shaft between the hitch base and the hitch cradle, and the clank will stop.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
allana wrote:

I have a Reese Pro 16K that I am disgusted with how much slop there is on the jaws.we get a "CLANK" with every start and stop.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all the need to review suspensions, CAT weights and load distribution. I also hear good things about air ride pin boxes. For me, the Andersen new All Aluminum fifth connection was the answer. Like others though, I agree with checking out the other stuff first. I have a 2500HD 6.6ft bed and tow a 33 ft Wildcat 10K# dry, 18K# pin.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
The hitch will not cause bouncing.
HR