cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel nose high

arcticfoxpuller
Explorer
Explorer
After putting the camper in the shop for the winter I went and raised the front landing gear as high as I could. With my short legs I can now walk under the front. Will this hurt the suspension or tires. It's really nose high.

THANKS
10 REPLIES 10

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will throw more weight on the rear axle. I'd just leave it level.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I also wouldn't worry too much about it. Make sure the tires are chocked good. You could also build some 2x12 or similar runners to drive up on and raise the whole trailer to eliminate some of the angle. stack a few boards and you can easily gain 6 - 8 inches in height.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about it...
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's just kinda handy for me as I can walk under the front to get access to another door in the shop.

:h

Old-Bisquit has the answer. I can still manage that at over 7 decades but it does put a strain on my bodily overhang. :W

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
First off, is there a good reason for doing this?

IMO, it is not the best idea to extend landing gear to the limit. I think you are putting unnecessary stress on your suspension/springs, as well as making the rear tires support most of the weight.

I would not do this, especially long term!

Jerry

C'mon. Really??

arcticfoxpuller
Explorer
Explorer
It's inside the shop. No fridge running. Not up against the landing gear stops. It's just kinda handy for me as I can walk under the front to get access to another door in the shop.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hang a ribbon from king pin so you quit running into it and lower the front back down to level
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
First off, is there a good reason for doing this?

IMO, it is not the best idea to extend landing gear to the limit. I think you are putting unnecessary stress on your suspension/springs, as well as making the rear tires support most of the weight.

I would not do this, especially long term!

Jerry

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Is it nose-high as compared to actual level or ground level?
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as you haven't over-extended the landing gear and the trailer is protected from gusty side winds, you should be OK. If the frig is turned on, you may damage it - they need to be level. My question would be: why would you want to do this?

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015