cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel vs Class A - which is better for US?

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
We will be full-timing by the time we purchase this unit.

We will most likely to look for places to stay for 2 - 4 weeks at a time, and look for scenic or trails to hike around frequently. This means lots of driving around the camping site, perhaps up to 100 miles radius or more during the stay. We will do this throughout the year, at least for the first couple of years.

So far, our thoughts is to get a diesel puckup (3500 series) dually and one of DRV, Excel or Lifestyle.

But I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better off with a Class A + a economy toad vehicle since we plan to move quite frequently?

What would be the pros and cons for each setup for our case?
48 REPLIES 48

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Acei wrote:
We will be full-timing by the time we purchase this unit.

We will most likely to look for places to stay for 2 - 4 weeks at a time, and look for scenic or trails to hike around frequently. This means lots of driving around the camping site, perhaps up to 100 miles radius or more during the stay. We will do this throughout the year, at least for the first couple of years.

So far, our thoughts is to get a diesel puckup (3500 series) dually and one of DRV, Excel or Lifestyle.

But I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better off with a Class A + a economy toad vehicle since we plan to move quite frequently?

What would be the pros and cons for each setup for our case?

I've own both and PT in both. I will tell you my vote would be for the 5'ver. Yes having a dully as a daily driver will be a pain at times, but the increase in living comfort will be worth it. The other reasons would be that the truck will be driven daily which is a good thing. Leaving a MH sit for a month or longer will create issues (especially around salt air.) Last but not least is the fact that having two parts mean you can upgrade each one if the need arises. Having a MH means you need to swap out the whole thing, just to get one half right.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
pronstar wrote:
I'm just not seeing how a fiver takes an hour to get unhitched...it's like a 2-minute dealio.

Anybody who takes that long to unhitch should be stepping down to a MH. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just not seeing how a fiver takes an hour to get unhitched...it's like a 2-minute dealio.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Pauljdav wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
While you are setting up the 5ver, I'll push the level button, run out the slide and have a beer and watch you out in the weather doing your thing.

Is that the same weather that the 5th wheel owner will be enjoying drinking his beer while you unhook your toad to go to the store because you need something from the store?

5th wheels have built in groceries that Class A's don't have?

No toad to disconnect when you need something. The class a owner enjoyed his beer while the 5th owner was setting up. Now it is time for the 5th owner to have his beer while the class a owner disconnects the toad.

Paul

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Because I'm a solo RVer, I drive a MH and pull a toad. The biggest reason is that, if I have to take a back-in site, I can unhook the toad and back the MH into a spot while watching both back corners. Pulling a TT or 5er, as soon as I would turn the TV's wheel, one of the corners would disappear from my mirrors. FWIW, a backin has happened exactly once since 2004.
But the icing on the cake is being in the same vehicle that has the bathroom when its pouring rain outside or I'm in a horrendous traffic jam, and both have happened.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
While you are setting up the 5ver, I'll push the level button, run out the slide and have a beer and watch you out in the weather doing your thing.
Level up systems are available on 5er now so push button set is not an exclusive for motor homes. Motor homes are nice to travel in, 5er's are nice to live in when you get there. It seems like there are more floor plan choices in a 5er than motor homes.

Exactly. Motor homes have all the same hoses and cords to stow away prior to departure. I can unhook my fiver faster than a motor home having to unhook their tow vehicle and then back the MH in. Hit the leveler button and done. Everything from there on out is the same.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
The idea of a Highline Motorhome and a jeep might be the best choice. The highline coaches have much more water and grey and black tank space aswell as the other benefits as mentioned. I have 110 gallons of water and 80 black and 110 grey. I can eaily go two weks before dumping.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pauljdav wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

Is that the same weather that the 5th wheel owner will be enjoying drinking his beer while you unhook your toad to go to the store because you need something from the store?

5th wheels have built in groceries that Class A's don't have?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
robatthelake wrote:
If there was a perfect RV for everyone there would be no choices! Each type has its own pluses and minuses.
For Us that decision was based upon the following!

On a trip down the Baja while Listening to " Welcome to the Hotel California"

A new line was added to the lyrics!

I have to Pee!

Those of You who are over 60 and have driven this stretch of road will relate! There is nothing resembling a "Rest Area...No Pullouts..Steep inclines...narrow Road...Boulder Fields!!!

In short there. Is No Place to pull over with that 37 Foot Long 102 Inch wide Trailer and The Four Door Truck!

Nuff Said!
What do you do when the driver has to pee?

When traveling long distance in the car our time between stops is dictated by the size of my wife's bladder. With the Class A it is dictated by the size of my bladder. Now we can do about 50 miles longer between stops! ๐Ÿ™‚

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer

ONLY *you* can pick the right answer!

Based on a myriad number of factors as to which would be better.
(Most of which we don't know).

No matter which you choose, you will be towing "something".

Good luck drawing straws..:B

~

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We full-timed for 8 years in a 33' 5th wheel with one slide. Friends got us hooked on 4-wheeling and it was time for a new RV anyway so we got our 40' motorhome and Jeep. We never did like driving the big diesel truck around but we have absolutely loved the fun we've had in the Jeep and met so many other 4-wheelers out there on the trails and made some very good friends through it.

Both the 5th wheel and the motorhome served us well but if we get another RV it will either be a motorhome or a Class C. In the end - it's all up to the way you want to RV and what your interests are. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pauljdav wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

The leveling thing was a good point in the past but not today.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
robatthelake wrote:
If there was a perfect RV for everyone there would be no choices! Each type has its own pluses and minuses.
For Us that decision was based upon the following!

On a trip down the Baja while Listening to " Welcome to the Hotel California"

A new line was added to the lyrics!

I have to Pee!

Those of You who are over 60 and have driven this stretch of road will relate! There is nothing resembling a "Rest Area...No Pullouts..Steep inclines...narrow Road...Boulder Fields!!!

In short there. Is No Place to pull over with that 37 Foot Long 102 Inch wide Trailer and The Four Door Truck!

Nuff Said!
What do you do when the driver has to pee?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
You already know the main issue you are worried about and that's getting around in the giant monster truck. Personally, I have a Class A DP and for the way I use it it's the best for me and my wife. If I was going to full time, I would likely consider a 5th wheel. The only draw back is I share your concern about the every day driving vehicle being the giant one ton dually truck. That's up to you to decide if it's workable or not.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4