cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.6 duramax vs 6.0 powertroke

outnabout
Explorer
Explorer
looking to buy a '06.5 Chevy 6.6 duramax or '06 Ford 6.0 powerstroke. Seems I get a little more pazzaz with the Ford. Which one has better reputation for reliability?
Craig & Arline
Montana 5er 3402 RL
2006 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
"On the Road Again..."
43 REPLIES 43

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Lion wrote:
How about the Ford 6.7. We just bought a new F350. Reading the 6.0 horror stories worries me about the new engine. I don't mean to hijack the thread.
Rest easy! Other than some (very few, like 0.01%) reported high pressure fuel pumps grenading that Ford would not cover under warranty, the 6.7 seems to be a solid motor.
It's a total redesign and owes nothing to the International Harvester that was the 6.0 and 6.4.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I think Ford has done a good job with this motor. They had their glitches at first, like all new redesigns do, and Ford was turning people away for warranty repairs (two sides to every story , who knows). They are strong motors and get pretty good fuel economy but I'm not real sure on the durability of them yet though. Still pretty new.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
How about the Ford 6.7. We just bought a new F350. Reading the 6.0 horror stories worries me about the new engine. I don't mean to hijack the thread.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Scott W wrote:
I guess I have one of the good 6.0 Fords. Maintenance is the key to any vehicle.

The maintenance on the 6.0 is what mostly put a sour taste in most peoples mouths about diesel engines in general. The 6.0 and the 6.4 really hurt the LD diesel market in my eyes.People quit buying them and have went to gas because of them and most people are so brand loyal that they would rather change the fuel they burn than to change the brand they drive.

Still with all the maintenance the 6.0 will leave you stranded at some point. Not if but when they break down, they break down bad. Have your phone on you and hope you have a signal.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
ask google about the six ohh and read until you fall asleep this eve. :Z

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
A fellow I worked with had TWO 6.0 Fords go bad on him. The first was an '03 he bought new. Had so much trouble that he had it "lemon-lawed" - Ford bought it back from him. He later bought a brand new '06 and began having troubles with it. I believe he was able to "lemon-law" that one, too.

His difficulties persuaded me to buy my first-ever Chevrolet, a used 6.6 Duramax.:B So far it has been great, logging over 7800 towing miles pulling our 5er, a 28' HitchHiker.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

Scott_W
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I have one of the good 6.0 Fords. Maintenance is the key to any vehicle.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Jeremiah, I just re-read your post and noticed that you said the lift pump died on it causing the truck to quit. Did you mean the lift pump or did you mean the injection pump?

If the lift pump quit pumping and the truck died then the lift pump screen more than likely got stopped up. I had a buddy that had this happened to his and is caused it to get hot and quit. It was stopped up to the point the injection pump could not pull the fuel through it. It was a slimy substance like algae or like the inside of the tank was breaking down.

Here is a little article about the Cummins lift pump.

How to watch lift pump status.

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
There is a running joke in our house....."When I die and if the Hearse is a ford I would just as soon walk".....
As said before, check the VIN and if it is an LBZ, take it fast.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Jerem0621 wrote:
5.9 let my dad down and it required a tow. Hard to run the Cummins when the lift pump fails. He still has it and is well over 200k miles now.

Not throwing stones at the Cummins, just pointing out that ALL diesel options can and do have failure points.

Some Duramax trucks have head gasket and injector issues, some Rams have Lift pump issues,... Then there is the 6.0.

This is not a motor that you treat like every other motor. You need to carefully monitor engine oil and engine coolant temps, watch for tell tell signs of failure and get it repaired. Change the coolant often and keep a close eye on things. Many 6.0's live happy lives without failure.

IMHO before I bought a 6.0 diesel I would invest in a scan guage II and plug it into the truck on the test drive. Let the truck tell you the story.

The lift pump on your dads 5.9 likely failed long before the truck left him stranded. The CP will still pull the fuel to itself and not miss a beat.

He could have put a cheap low pressure fuel gauge in it and would have caught the problem and still drove it home. The 6.0, most of the time when something acts up, you better find a good place to pull over.

Between the two Dmax for sure, I changed from Ford to Ram after 45 years of Ford!! I could not bring myself to buy a 6.0.
I have had my Ram for almost four years, added a small chip and tow 11,000# 5er, turned 268,000 miles last week, still a solid truck. Bought it used from a dealer (Ram) one owner with only 234,000 miles. Truck body and interior were in showroom shape, the Cummins ran great clean and strong.

The Ford 6.0 to bullet proof, is about $5,000+, but if you chose not to to repair/replace a blown 6.0 is about $15,000, why do you think so many on this forum are dislike diesels, they likely had a bad 6.0!

Russ, there is a lot of truth to what you are saying. There are many folks out there who got burned by the 6.0 and now apply that level of caution to all diesels. The same line of thought can be applied to folks who have half ton gassers with small motors, buy a travel trailer then upgrade to a diesel.

They make similar statements about how bad all gassers are when they didn't give a HD gasser a chance. Not that's it's a bad thing.

Can you all tell me more about the fuel guage on the Cummins. How is that piece of info going to tell my dad when the lift pump is dying? I'm going to have to tell him about this.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

kully
Explorer
Explorer
had fords walked to many times love my 2013 duramax. wife says they should put heated bumpers on the fords. lol

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
Jerem0621 wrote:
5.9 let my dad down and it required a tow. Hard to run the Cummins when the lift pump fails. He still has it and is well over 200k miles now.

Not throwing stones at the Cummins, just pointing out that ALL diesel options can and do have failure points.

Some Duramax trucks have head gasket and injector issues, some Rams have Lift pump issues,... Then there is the 6.0.

This is not a motor that you treat like every other motor. You need to carefully monitor engine oil and engine coolant temps, watch for tell tell signs of failure and get it repaired. Change the coolant often and keep a close eye on things. Many 6.0's live happy lives without failure.

IMHO before I bought a 6.0 diesel I would invest in a scan guage II and plug it into the truck on the test drive. Let the truck tell you the story.

The lift pump on your dads 5.9 likely failed long before the truck left him stranded. The CP will still pull the fuel to itself and not miss a beat.

He could have put a cheap low pressure fuel gauge in it and would have caught the problem and still drove it home. The 6.0, most of the time when something acts up, you better find a good place to pull over.

Between the two Dmax for sure, I changed from Ford to Ram after 45 years of Ford!! I could not bring myself to buy a 6.0.
I have had my Ram for almost four years, added a small chip and tow 11,000# 5er, turned 268,000 miles last week, still a solid truck. Bought it used from a dealer (Ram) one owner with only 234,000 miles. Truck body and interior were in showroom shape, the Cummins ran great clean and strong.

The Ford 6.0 to bullet proof, is about $5,000+, but if you chose not to to repair/replace a blown 6.0 is about $15,000, why do you think so many on this forum are dislike diesels, they likely had a bad 6.0!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Dmax.

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
go with the Duramax. the 6.6 won't let you down like the 6.0 "MIGHT". It will have the LBZ, which is the most desired duramax you can get, highest rated power before the EPA******that killed MPG. I'd trade my 08 duramax for an 06 or classic 07 in a heart beat.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
When I was looking for a used diesel truck, it seemed like I could find horror stories on ANY brand, making it look like diesel engines were made out of tin foil. I know people with five 6.0-engined trucks among them and no one experienced a failure. These are abused work trucks and one Excursion used to tow a 34' TT.

With any used vehicle, price, mileage, and how well it was maintained are all factors in my decision to buy. My truck had low mileage, all its service records, and a decent price so I bought it.

I'm a contrarian and I knew I could find a good deal on a Ford since people are scared of the 6.0.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer