cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A poll: What does 2 blinks of the left signal mean to you?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
You catch up to me on a two lane road. You can’t quite see far enough ahead to know if safe to pass, but I blink left signal 2 blinks on move to the extreme right of my lane. What am I doing?

1. Saying “safe to pass I will help you around” ?

2. Making fake gonna turn left signals like “brake checking” only different?

3. Trying to trick you into a fiery head on collision which I am videoing to sell to the news and u tube?
85 REPLIES 85

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My first thought would be you started to turn but changed your mind. I would likely drop back a little until you made up your mind.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Are you a hot blonde holding a beer out the window ?:B

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
I think putting your left turn signal on indicates it is safe to pass - we saw this regularly while traveling in Mexico. Don't think I would trust American drivers to know the meaning though.

on our first trip to the frozen north, otherwise known as Canada, we encountered what we were later told was a custom. we were heading north after crossing in Montana. excellent 2-lane rural road with nice wide shoulders. we were in a 4-wheeler, not our MH. as we approached a car to pass the driver suddenly maneuvered onto the shoulder. we thought he had lost control and backed off. after a short time on the shoulder the driver returned to the driving lane. after a couple of minutes I decided to try to pass again and sure enough he hit the shoulder again and again we backed off. we just stayed behind him at this point.

at the next town we stopped for gas and I mentioned this to the attendant (this was back in the early 80's). he laughed and said that this was the usual way in those parts to help folks pass safely. good to know!
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
You catch up to me on a two lane road. You can’t quite see far enough ahead to know if safe to pass, but I blink left signal 2 blinks on move to the extreme right of my lane. What am I doing?

I would say you're signalling it's safe to go around ......

However in this day & age, you're telling the shark lawyer of the donkey behind you with a HD dash-cam that you want to give him your house, savings and pension.

Giving anyone anything even close to directions is a sure recipe for trouble if anything ever happens.

A guy near here was 'helping out' at an accident scene, waved a guy through the scene, but that driver was filming it with his cell phone and had a collision with someone else doing the same thing, he got sued..... by both drivers.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:

2. Making fake gonna turn left signals like “brake checking” only different?

3. Trying to trick you into a fiery head on collision which I am videoing to sell to the news and u tube?

tells me that the driver likely accidentally activated his left turn signal. I failed the mind reading class in school (see my follow-up post below).
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do know what it used to mean, emphasis on "used to mean", but I'd never rely on it. I simply don't put my life blindly into the hands of people I don't know if I don't have to.

If I have room, the road is straight enough to pass, and there's no oncoming traffic, I'll pull as far to the right as I can and slow a bit. If someone wants to pass and can't figure that out, they deserve to sit back there.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
I think putting your left turn signal on indicates it is safe to pass - we saw this regularly while traveling in Mexico. Don't think I would trust American drivers to know the meaning though.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Maybe checking to see how much 'turn signal fluid' is left in the car...

The best answer so far!!!
I never have to worry about this while in our RV and if I did, it would take me two miles to pass!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II

And if I'd been following you for miles with ample room to pass, it'd be quite obvious.

So many drivers need 2 miles of clear sight distance to pass nowadays. They just sit there behind you for miles.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe checking to see how much 'turn signal fluid' is left in the car...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

dedmiston
You were about to turn left, changed your mind after two blinks, got distracted from texting, and veered too far right.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don’t care! I don’t rely on what others are doing. I use my own judgement! You can put a sign on the back that says “I’ll blink when it’s safe to pass” guess what I’m relying on my own senses to determine my safety!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly I don’t try to direct other drivers. Too easy to be misunderstood as you can see the varying interpretations here.

That said, I wouldn’t trust passing someone with a left signal that moved right. Seen too many idiots that feel they have to counter steer and move right before a left hand turn or vice versa.

On the rare occasions I want to assist a passer -almost always a commercial driver- I move to the right shoulder and signal right as if stopping or turning right.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
left arm out window and wave a forward motion is the only signal that makes sense today.

I do not ever trust a driver to tell me his intentions. I assume the worst. I drive with the mentality that everyone is able to accident on me. I have had drivers look right at my eyes and pull out in front of me.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Half the people on the road today don't know what a turn signal is for. Two blinks
mean nothing.