cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A reminder for those who sanitize the water system.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to my Winnebago manual, it is 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons of tank capacity.

Fill the tank, pump through all plumbing, including the water heater.

Let it sit 4 hours.

Drain, and flush with water.

If you double the amount of bleach, you can cut the sit time down to 1 hour.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
41 REPLIES 41

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
When draining, I like dumping part into the black tank, part in the grey tank, which helps on odor control.

I have been told that if you use chemicals in the black tank (not the geo method) that you should not put bleach in the tank. The bleach kills the enzymes in the chemicals and tank and they no longer do their job of breaking down the waste.
I'm not a chemist, so I don't really know if this is true, but it is what I've been told........
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I like filling the tank to get any bugs that might be near the top.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Is it necessary to completely fill the tank or can you just do half tank?
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I let the bleach mix sit overnight - no downside, doesn't cost anything, and no additional work.
Kevin

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
I use a measuring cup and pour the bleach into the fill hose then after sitting turn on the water to fill tank.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I also fill a cooler and put the fresh hoses in there making sure to purge the air out to do the job properly. I think I use around a cup in my 40 gallon fresh tank and water heater. I just flush it good afterwards and never have any bleach smell!
That's a cleaver way to take care of the hose! Think I'll use a 5 gallon bucket.

Be careful around that cleaver!

......while getting the water heater in the 5 gallon bucket..;)

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I also fill a cooler and put the fresh hoses in there making sure to purge the air out to do the job properly. I think I use around a cup in my 40 gallon fresh tank and water heater. I just flush it good afterwards and never have any bleach smell!
That's a cleaver way to take care of the hose! Think I'll use a 5 gallon bucket.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
When draining, I like dumping part into the black tank, part in the grey tank, which helps on odor control.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the fresh water hose either!
Proud father of a US Marine

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
but its harder to get the bleach odor out.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Beartoo
Explorer
Explorer
Best be patient and do as recommended by manufacture says.
DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)