cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A request to all cell phone users (my rant for the day)

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please when you are sitting outside of your RV talking on your cell phone to Aunt Minnie, Uncle Jed or anyone else keep the tone down to as if the person was next to you.
The lady in the site across from us could have been heard a block away today as she shouted for about an hour, and it seems more and ,more people feel they must shout on them.
I could bring you completely up to date on what that ladys entire conversation was about.
Last week a guy next to us was giving out his credit number card to someone, and I could have written it down if I wanted to.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
59 REPLIES 59

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
My wife should read this thread. For some reason she feels the need to speak loudly when on the phone.

I have often asked her to speak quieter and you can imagine how well that goes.
I always wondered why you have two campers! ๐Ÿ˜›
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is on the fence to me.

If I was in a great mood for the day and this happened for about an hour, I would not think twice about it.

If I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, it might get me riled up a bit.

When I am on vacation camping, I never wake up on the wrong side of the bed ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ So this probably would not bother me one bit. if it did I would go in the camper for a bit, jack up my outside music a little if needed or bike/hike, leave for the beach, whatever. Someitmes ya gotta cut other breaks. It can't be all about you and your space every single time.

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Oldme brings up some valid points. As one with a severe hearing disability (gunfire will do that), I can only hope that those with perfect hearing will cut us a little slack. I don't mean to be loud but certainly there are times when inadvertently I am.... my bad. The ultimate irony for me is knowing that for years my mother lied to me.... she always told me I would go blind.

:S

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oldme brings up some valid points. As one with a severe hearing disability (gunfire will do that), I can only hope that those with perfect hearing will cut us a little slack. I don't mean to be loud but certainly there are times when inadvertently I am.... my bad. The ultimate irony for me is knowing that for years my mother lied to me.... she always told me I would go blind.

:S

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
Please when you are sitting outside of your RV talking on your cell phone to Aunt Minnie, Uncle Jed or anyone else keep the tone down to as if the person was next to you.
The lady in the site across from us could have been heard a block away today as she shouted for about an hour, and it seems more and ,more people feel they must shout on them.
I could bring you completely up to date on what that ladys entire conversation was about.
Last week a guy next to us was giving out his credit number card to someone, and I could have written it down if I wanted to.

Jack L

Those of us with various degrees of a Hearing Disability
automatically talk loud. Even with my $5,000 worth of
Hearing Aides I still do.

It is not that we want to share anything with people we do not know, it is that we want to communicate with the person on the other end of the phone. If we have difficulty hearing them, we feel they have are having a difficult time hearing us.

I do understand your position. I do not want to know what the person at the next table that has normal hearing has to say on his/her phone while I eat in a restaurant either.

No one with good hearing will ever understand, until they lose their hearing.

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Why not allow people their idiosyncrasies? She was outside and may not have known anyone was nearby. Take the advice of others and listen to some music through a headset for a bit. She may have been rude or inconsiderate but you can not control someone else's actions only your reaction to it. ๐Ÿ™‚
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, I like In a Gada Da Vida. Back in the late 60's, I managed a college bar that had live bands. One of the regular bands did the song each night. The drummer did a 20 minute solo while the other members bellied up to the bar and had a couple of beers. During the solo, all drinks were ordered by holding up an empty beer mug and how many fingers. Verbal orders were impossible. I'm pretty sure I have a slight hearing loss or at least act like it sometimes. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Jim Shoe wrote:
OR, you could record "In a Gada Da Vida" on an endless loop on both sides of a cassette (one loop is 17 minutes long), put earplugs in and crank it up. Iron Butterfly. Heavy, heavy, man. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey. Watch it. That is one of may favorite songs.

Saw it performed live.

The best drum solo of all time!!

Absolutely! Love that song!!!
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
OR, you could record "In a Gada Da Vida" on an endless loop on both sides of a cassette (one loop is 17 minutes long), put earplugs in and crank it up. Iron Butterfly. Heavy, heavy, man. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey. Watch it. That is one of may favorite songs.

Saw it performed live.

The best drum solo of all time!!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that is the worst thing you have to complain about, you must be having a pretty good year!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a voice tone that seems to carry. So even when talking at a normal level I been told I can be heard clear across the house. I am sure its the same at the campgrounds and I am not even raising my voice.

Though I have found that there are times I catch myself talking louder then needed on the cell phone, but its usually because I am constantly hearing "what" as the response.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
people who have a hearing deficiency talk loud on the phone because its normal to them, and they just do it. My wife has this same problem, and has compatible hearing aids but removes the aid to talk on the phone. There problem is they talk at the volume that is comfortable for them as when you when you talk on your phone and you can hear your self YOUR QUIETLY DOING SO.. This IS just getting older and the deficiencies that go along with it. Just think, someday YOUR GOING TO BE IN THE SAME SITUATION, AND YOUR GOING TO BE TALKED ABOUT THE SAME WAY. JUST ACCEPT IT AS NORMAL, OR MOVE!
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
AuntSmurf wrote:
Talking loudly on the phone isn't ALWAYS "rude" or "stupid". DH is a bit hard of hearing, but not enough to warrant a hearing aid. He talks loudly in general, and doesn't realize just how far his voice carries. I have developed a "signal" to let him know when he's being loud. I make a motion with my hand like I'm turning the volume down on a radio. He then will lower his voice. But, eventually, it will probably go back up. I just make the motion again. Unfortunately, we are not connected at the hip, so I am not always there to do a bit of controlling.

I know it's annoying, but give people a break. You may not have the entire picture. There are far worse things to get upset about in life than one end of a loud conversation.

Certainly, nothing is "always" or "never" . Exceptions occur, and you situation is one of them. You also do you best to control it.

Everyone has their own solutions if they are considerate at all. I am now experiencing "hard of hearing." I don't talk on cell phones anymore. The wife does it for both of us. Except for a very few instances, most cell calls are NOT that important that they have to be made in public and/or disturb others.

In my opinion, generally, or a majority, of loud talkers on cell phones are rude and inconsiderate.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
I am coming up rapidly on 50 myself and have a slight hearing loss which has resulted in me always speaking a bit louder than I intend to. Cell phones don't make much difference to the volume, but most of the time I attempt to find an area where I can have a private conversation. I am aware of others and since I value my own privacy I assume that others would also value theirs ๐Ÿ™‚

Maybe they are caught in the moment? Perhaps it's an emotional call, or something upsets them, and for that point in time, they focus on their or their family's immediate needs while ignoring others. Granted, some people just don't care about offending others, but I like to give them the benefit of the doubt.