cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Winterizing Question

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Is it better to drain the blackwater tank completely, or should I leave some water in it and add some pink stuff. If the latter, how much of each?
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
5 REPLIES 5

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
General wisdom is to NEVER allow the black tank to remain completely empty. Regardless of how well you flush the tank there are always some solids remaining and if left dry these turn to "stone" making them nearly impossible to remove. They can accumulate over time and cause problems down the road. Probably don't need any pink stuff (but it won't hurt) as long as there is plenty of room expansion when it freezes.

Good luck / Skip

Thanks Skip. I think your posting pretty well sums up the others' advice as well. And tgat is what I have been doing, more or less by instinct. But I was beginning to wonder---particularly about the feeling that there woukd be no problem as long as the ice had room to expand.

Thanks to all who responded.
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
General wisdom is to NEVER allow the black tank to remain completely empty. Regardless of how well you flush the tank there are always some solids remaining and if left dry these turn to "stone" making them nearly impossible to remove. They can accumulate over time and cause problems down the road. Probably don't need any pink stuff (but it won't hurt) as long as there is plenty of room expansion when it freezes.

Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

bob2j8
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I did last weekend. I completely flushed and drained the black tank. Then I added 2 gallons of pink stuff to the tank. I figure that this way the valve is protected, and the bottom of the tank is still wet to keep any remnants from drying out and hardening in the tank. Cost me an extra $6 for my peace of mind. I'm sure that there are a lot of different ways to do it, but this is what I have come up with to ensure the best result when I de-winterize in the spring.
2008 Ford F-350 King Ranch SRW, Powerstroke, Torqshift
2010 KZ Spree 318BHS
E2 Trunnion Hitch

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Wiscampsin wrote:
I drain our black tank as much as I can. I pour a couple cups of antifreeze down the toilet and leave a couple inches if antifreeze in the bowl too.

X2. You want pink stuff around the valves to keep them from freezing.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
I drain our black tank as much as I can. I pour a couple cups of antifreeze down the toilet and leave a couple inches if antifreeze in the bowl too.