cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on purchasing a towing truck

Campersfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I am a 60 something retired individual I want to purchase a towing truck for a 25 foot pull behind trailer or a lightweight 25 foot fifth wheel I am thinking about a Ford 250 or a Toyota Tundra I would also maybe consider a Ford 150 Any and all suggestions and comments would be appreciated Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

Campersfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thx for the advice will do

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
llr wrote:
I would strongly suggest looking at campers first, even if you don't plan on buying for a few years. then decide on the truck.

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Campersfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at Ford because it usually wins in consumer choice polls for best truck to pull trailers I agree I would rather have more power then less power currently I pull with a V8 Toyota 4 Runner but looking for a better towing vehicle with a little more towing power Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations

Campersfriend
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is a trail sport by r vision it is an ultra light I am single so I have everything to do myself not wealthy either so still working part time Hope to get a Forest River product next time

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recall Ford ever making a 3.0 liter (183 cu in) 8 cylinder engine.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Silverback98042
Explorer
Explorer
I think you meant 5.0 eight cylinder.
As stated, I'd rather have too much truck than not enough. When I need to use my truck, I don't want to be undergunned.
2013 Ford Superduty F250 Powerstroke CC 4X4 Platinum
2013 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 280 RKS

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 24 TT and pull with an F-150. The truck is a 3.0 eight cylinder and we have no problems. Ford is pushing the 6 cylinder with eco boost now days. They say it has just as much torque as the 8 cylinder and saves on gas. Not sure it really works that way. We sure like our 8 cylinder gas guzzler.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would (and did) get a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins.
But, that's just ME. If you want an F250, go for it.
I seldom read on any forums a complaint that "I bought too much truck!"
But, I sure see the "I didn't buy enough truck!" complaint a lot.
I agree, find the trailer you want, then get the truck you NEED to tow that trailer. In fact, it might be smart to get a little more truck than you really NEED!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

llr
Explorer
Explorer
I would strongly suggest looking at campers first, even if you don't plan on buying for a few years. then decide on the truck.

Or as others said get the 250 and be prepared for almost any TT and many FW

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Look at all the brands. Many buy 1/2 tons and immediately wish they had bought a 3/4 or 1-ton. Enjoy shopping.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Campersfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the information I can't afford a dually and I think that is probably too much truck for me I currently have a 25 foot lightweight camper but it's about 10 years old and a lot has happened in the RV world in the last 10 years. Have to get a truck first then look at changing campers

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The F250 could be a gas engine or a diesel engine so it will easily pull that small 5er or TT. The F250 comes with a 6100 RAWR which leaves around 3000 lb for a payload so it will have no problems carrying hitch weight for that size trailer.

The Tundra with their big gas engine won't have any problems pulling those size trailers. The Tundra has a small 4200 ?? RAWR which equates to around a 1500-1800 lb payload all depending on actual scaled weights and actual RAWR numbers. No problems with thye TT but this truck will be limited at a 5th wheel trailer with a 900-1000 lb dry pin weight.

The F150 can have a 6500 up to 8200 GVWR with 3600 up to 4800 RAWR numbers. The F150 with the 4800 RAWR is good for about 2200-2400 lbs. The F150 with smaller RAWR will carry less weight.
These are approx numbers and each truck will have different numbers depending on cab/4x4/wheelbase/diesel vs gas/etc selections.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
To give advice on a tow vehicle, more details on actual trailer would be needed. Although some 1/2 ton trucks are capable towers, a 250 would usually have more payload available, especially for a fifth wheel.

Welcome to the forum! Give more details on what trailer. Ask lots of questions.

Jerry

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The F250 would be superior to the others, no question about it
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)