cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternative stove

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am outfitting another rig, but looking for more simple stove. I would like to use something like a 2-burner Coleman camping/portable stove, but the last one I had from 30 yrs ago ran on 14WC and the 11WC out of the camper regulator was not enough to let stove do more than a simmer.

Are there any portable units like that which run on 11WC?

I would like to semi permanent mount it and have option to attach hose outside or inside so I can move the stove.

The little green bottles they come with will not do, so that is out, it must be plumbed into the camper's propane source.
37 REPLIES 37

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Jax, you're still out to lunch on this one buddy.
Noone cares about the propane stove certification installer when you check into the KOA, noone, except maybe you.

Nope, in fact if you want get down to brass tacks on this, the Texas Transportation Code makes it illegal to tow a trailer on any public road if it has a built in propane installations, containers, or equipment, other than a farm trailer, unless the vehicle complies with which ever applies, NFPA 52, NFPA 54, NFPA 57, NFPA 58, NFPA 1192 standards and bears proof of same.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
The RVIA certification is nothing more than a self-certification: the manufacturer stating that it was built to the appropriate codes. If you build your own RV, you are required to build it to the applicable vehicle and other codes, but there's no requirement in general to have it independently inspected or certified; you may just need to similarly self-certify that you've followed the code.

That's not at all true, the compliance is required by life safety laws. No different than meeting building code / electrical code in a S & B's build.

As an example, and trust me, there's a similar one for every jurisdiction, California's Statutes, at 18871.5 states;

"(b) A recreational vehicle that does not bear a label, an insignia, or an insignia of approval, as required by subdivision (f) or (g) of Section 18027.3, may not occupy any lot in a park unless the vehicle owner provides reasonable proof of compliance with ANSI Standard No. A119.2 or A119.5 depending upon whether it is a recreational vehicle or park trailer....."

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:

When you call your insurance company to arrange coverage on your newly purchased Ford or GM truck. Ditto if you buy a new Winnebago, towable or drivable. Why? Because they know that those manufacturers build units that are certified to be in compliance with the appropriate safety requirements. Thereโ€™s no need to ask. On the trucks thereโ€™s a compliance label in the drivers door jamb, on the RVโ€™s, thereโ€™s a (usually) RVIA seal next to the entry door certifying that the unit was built to the appropriate standards.

The RVIA certification is nothing more than a self-certification: the manufacturer stating that it was built to the appropriate codes. If you build your own RV, you are required to build it to the applicable vehicle and other codes, but there's no requirement in general to have it independently inspected or certified; you may just need to similarly self-certify that you've followed the code. Some states would require more or less inspection by DOT or DOT-approved inspections before issuing tags, or as part of normal periodic motor vehicle inspections, but those are usually more about basic safety and standard equipment required of all vehicles or trailers rather than RV-specific systems. (For that matter, the same basic requirements apply to homebuilt cars.)

There are some campgrounds that choose to exclude homebuilt RVs, just as there are some that exclude non-hard-sided RVs or tents or RVs other than class A motorhomes or RVs older than ten years old or RVs longer than some maximum length, for whatever reason.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Jax, you're still out to lunch on this one buddy.
Noone cares about the propane stove certification installer when you check into the KOA, noone, except maybe you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad, you are referring to laws governing retail sales of RVs on one hand, then campgrounds checking campers over for compliance on the other. Which is it?

Also, in NJ, you CAN pump your own diesel legally since it is not gasoline, but good luck getting a guy who breathes gas fumes all day to go along.
I think you can even keep your diesel motor running legally since the law says to turn gas motors off while pumping, not diesels, but that is another topic

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
... If you register with a โ€œ2018 Winnebagoโ€ they wonโ€™t bat an eye. Try registering to camp there with a โ€œ2018 DIY MagicBusโ€ and see if they have questions.
I don't know where you visit, but I have 20 years and well over 100k miles traveling all over North America and not once did I register in a CG as "2018 Winnebago". 100% of the time is was 32' no slide with 30 amp, or 36' with slide and 50 amp, or now, 24 foot no slide with 30 amp. Not one single CG in the US or CA ever asked the make of my RV or if it had an RVIA sticker.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:
magicbus wrote:
Nobody at a campground ever asked me if my stove or heat system was โ€œcertifiedโ€.

Dave

Jax believes that the entire world revolves around the "greater Toronto" Canada area which has totally over the top stupid laws and rules which require one to pay exorbitant propane gas plumbers to even light a pilot light.

News flash Jax, absolutely no one, no Gov, no Gov agency, no laws care one bit about what Greater Toronto deems as law outside Greater Toronto area.

If you don't like the laws you are under, move or petition your Greater Toronto area to remove such inane, over the top archaic laws. They are not there to protect you or anyone else, they are there to remove money out of your pocket. It is as bad as some cities which prevent you from pumping gasoline into your own car (yes, I live near a big city which at one time back in the 1980s repealed such stupid law)..

Propane or any other gas can be handled without blowing yourself up and with minimal plumbing skills, isn't rocket science and doesn't require one to stay in a "Holiday Inn Express".

Actually, the laws Iโ€™m talking about are American, although there are similar laws up here too.

When you call your insurance company to arrange coverage on your newly purchased Ford or GM truck. Ditto if you buy a new Winnebago, towable or drivable. Why? Because they know that those manufacturers build units that are certified to be in compliance with the appropriate safety requirements. Thereโ€™s no need to ask. On the trucks thereโ€™s a compliance label in the drivers door jamb, on the RVโ€™s, thereโ€™s a (usually) RVIA seal next to the entry door certifying that the unit was built to the appropriate standards.

The same thing applies to c/gโ€™s as I mentioned above with the insurance company. If you register with a โ€œ2018 Winnebagoโ€ they wonโ€™t bat an eye. Try registering to camp there with a โ€œ2018 DIY MagicBusโ€ and see if they have questions.

Of course Gdetrailer of all people knows this, since this is about the 5th time itโ€™s been pointed out to him, including citations of numerous laws and posted US c/g rules.

I guess unwarranted ad hominem attacks are a hobby of his......

The past, clicky, clicky.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
Last time I looked, it is still illegal to pump your own gasoline in Oregon and Rhode Island.
Actually I think you will find it it Oregon and New Jersey where you canโ€™t pump your own gas. Rhode Island trusts you not to set yourself on fire.

Dave

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last time I looked, it is still illegal to pump your own gasoline in Oregon and Rhode Island. Just to set stupid laws in context.
I have done many installs/repairs on LP furnaces and cook tops. I hope my wife will come and visit me in prison since I put this on the net.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
magicbus wrote:
Nobody at a campground ever asked me if my stove or heat system was โ€œcertifiedโ€.

Except for the fact that you are planning on using propane for heat, I was going to suggest an alcohol cooktop. They now come as dual fuel units, 120v and alcohol. Popular in boats where nobody wants leaking propane seeping to a bilge where there are ignition sources.

Dave

Jax believes that the entire world revolves around the "greater Toronto" Canada area which has totally over the top stupid laws and rules which require one to pay exorbitant propane gas plumbers to even light a pilot light.

News flash Jax, absolutely no one, no Gov, no Gov agency, no laws care one bit about what Greater Toronto deems as law outside Greater Toronto area.

If you don't like the laws you are under, move or petition your Greater Toronto area to remove such inane, over the top archaic laws. They are not there to protect you or anyone else, they are there to remove money out of your pocket. It is as bad as some cities which prevent you from pumping gasoline into your own car (yes, I live near a big city which at one time back in the 1980s repealed such stupid law)..

Propane or any other gas can be handled without blowing yourself up and with minimal plumbing skills, isn't rocket science and doesn't require one to stay in a "Holiday Inn Express".

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:

Except for the fact that you are planning on using propane for heat, I was going to suggest an alcohol cooktop. They now come as dual fuel units, 120v and alcohol. Popular in boats where nobody wants leaking propane seeping to a bilge where there are ignition sources.

Dave

So fun, so funny. It keeps me up at night of worry to know how much of my campers I have done work on and modified and rebuilt and not called that certified guy to come give me a certificate of certification os such workmanship.
I do imagine it would be the Wissard of OZ, original movie version, wizzard, I typed "wissard", but I think fitting for such an estuanuance occasion.
He had such a way woth wordz.

As such, i do herby confess I have not looked too thoroughly into the alcohol stove, though I did see some in passing briefly when browsing the online market advertisements for said stoves and camp connoisseurs cookware.

Yes, given I am procured to harness the propane tank for benefactor of the propane heater I do own that I should align myself closely with the propane paraphernalia of other mentioned fore after said cooktops.

And, as such, on this day indeed, I do hereby solemnly, and with great humiliation, bestow upon myself the grand title of and to myself an opinion of merit given to me in such form as a certificate of honer of e pluribus onem and do certify this today. thank you

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer

Dave

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
ajriding wrote:
I like the idea of using a 2-burner RV stove and building it in a small tray of sorts on a hose or quick disconnect so i can cook inside or out on this. I have seen some on ebay for $65, so not cheap, but cheap enough

Just keep in mind that if the unit you are building has sleeping quarters and including a built in stove with fixed lines, etc, you will need to have it certified if you plan to use it in a c/g. Boondocking you *might* get away with it, depending on where you stay.

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish I could go all summer on a small green bottle, and wish they were two-fiddy.

I do a lot of pressure cooking so need to simmer 20-30 mins, or ten if no rice. I cook breakfast including an iron skillet and a pot for water.
I have used the green bottle with a stove on top of the bottle, but I do go through them and a wok is difficult and I have come close to losing smaller pots and pans. A few campers ago I had the Coleman two burner with a green bottle, but sold it with camper as I had it customized for that stove. Biggest part was having to assemble the bottle on the stove every time.
I sometimes carry the bottle top stove as a back up.

I like the idea of using a 2-burner RV stove and building it in a small tray of sorts on a hose or quick disconnect so i can cook inside or out on this. I have seen some on ebay for $65, so not cheap, but cheap enough

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Love some of the claims here....
Now a 1lb Propane bottle will cook every meal for most of the summer.....roflmao.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold