cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I causing my mouse problem?

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
When we took our 5th wheel out of indoor storage this spring I found some mouse droppings. Not many but some. I baited a few mouse traps with peanut butter and pretty quickly caught 2 little grey mice re-baiting the traps after each catch. 2 weeks go by and nothing. No dropping and no mice caught in the traps. Today I check and I have a mouse in the trap. Now I am in a quandary. Was this third mouse always in my camper and just now found the traps OR is the peanut butter bated traps enticing the mice to come into our camper from outside because now they smell the peanut butter? I feel sort damned if I do and damned if I don't. Thoughts???????
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2
19 REPLIES 19

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
One thing i forgot to mention when doing the bleach cleaning. Don't forget all the insides of cabinets where food can drop inside (usually to the floor).
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, hey, hey ..... don't be hating on my chipmunks. For the last three years we've had a couple around the house that are getting pretty tame. The ringleader, Chippy, will climb up on a shop bench, beg for food, and can be hand-fed.

I realized they're almost a perfect pet. They don't require vet bills, they eat nearly nothing, they do their business outside, and for half the year, they go and sleep underground. They're also cute as heck!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
Keep trapping. You'll get them all, eventually. Then you can worry about chipmunks, squirrels. That only means the traps get bigger. Oh...and you'll need to change to "chunky".

As it is my daughter empties the traps. I wont go near the damn mice. Chipmunks......forgetaboutit!!!!!
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Keep trapping. You'll get them all, eventually. Then you can worry about chipmunks, squirrels. That only means the traps get bigger. Oh...and you'll need to change to "chunky".
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

motorhomi
Explorer
Explorer
Mothballs have worked for us for 15 years. I fill 6 small plastic glasses with mothballs (usually 1 box will do) I place a glass in the cupboard under the sink in the bathroom, under the kitchen sink, under the bed storage area and behind the couchs. I also set a few around on the floor. Yes it smells like grandmas attic but the mice hate it. Before we begin our season I throw them away, open the windows and in a day the smell is gone. Only problem is being able to find old fashioned mothballs. Smaller hardware stores usually carry them.

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
M GO BLUE wrote:
At night turn on all the lights in the RV then go outside and crawl underneath the RV and see if any lights are shining though...if so block those holes up

Great idea!!!!!!
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
At night turn on all the lights in the RV then go outside and crawl underneath the RV and see if any lights are shining though...if so block those holes up

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Today I got a couple cans of foam sealant and sealed every possible entrance I could find. I think I did find where they have been entering from. Underneath the camper directly below where the stove is there is a wire loom that enters through a plastic sheeting that had a bunch of insulation pulled through. i sealed that area especially good from below as well from as from above. The under stove area is also where we have caught all of the mice and its the only area that had shown any droppings at all. Fingers crossed.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
One thing you could do, and yes, a lot of work: make a weak water/bleach solution and clean every surface in your rig, in particular anywhere food touches. That means inside all the cabinets and drawers, the stove and microwave, reefer, etc.

Not only will this remove all the food odors that attract rodentia, but keeps out insects and basically sterilizes the place.

They can find a way in using the smallest hole. Find every tiny hole and seal it up.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they are still finding a way in, you still have a problem. Keep trapping until the entrance is blocked.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Making a bucket mouse trap

Put it outside your rig. This time of year is when mice are moving about and looking for food and making new nests.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped putting baited traps inside the RV, and instead now place the traps beside each wheel on the Quonset floor. Catches many mice, but never had any evidence of them getting inside since using this method.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Get a ball bearing mouse trap.

Mr__Dan
Explorer
Explorer
... and me!
'15 F.R. Wildcat
'14 GMC Sierra