cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson Ultimate??

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Just got to see, for the first time, one of those Anderson ultimate hitches. That seems to be a pretty handy, dandy device. Any opinions on it?
39 REPLIES 39

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
You'll do better searching on "Andersen" with an "e" since that's how it's spelled. If you search the forums, you'll find hundreds of threads on the AUH. In answer to your question, we pulled a 14K fiver for 12,000 miles with one - worked great.

Rob

Can you tell us why you are now using a PullRite OE as shown in your signature instead of the Andersen.

Sure... it was a logistical thing. We had a Sierra 2500HD with a rail-mount Andersen hitch. We were always very close to the rear axle capacity of the 2500 whenever we weighed (3,000 - 3,200 lbs. pin weight). One Friday afternoon a year ago, I was presented an opportunity to trade (even!) for the F350 DRW. The Ford had the OEM puck system but no rails. Our selling RV dealer couldn't get the "picture frame" adapter to fit the Andersen to the Ford puck system in time for us to pull out on Sunday as scheduled. Rather than wait and change plans and reservations from Georgia to New Mexico and California, I opted to have the PullRite OEM (in stock) installed so we could stay on schedule. I like the PullRite, but the two things I miss about the Andersen are: 1) the ability to get it in and out of the bed by myself if I need to use the truck for something besides towing, and 2) the low-maintenance aspect of the Andersen. About every three or four months I have to pull the head on the PullRite to clean and grease the load-bearing friction points. I never had to do anything to the Andersen. With Glide Ride pin box, they both tow quietly and smoothly.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
They work fine. Light, easy to hitch, tow well etc., etc.. People who own them never complain about them. People who donโ€™t know anything about them always complain about them.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second Chance wrote:
You'll do better searching on "Andersen" with an "e" since that's how it's spelled. If you search the forums, you'll find hundreds of threads on the AUH. In answer to your question, we pulled a 14K fiver for 12,000 miles with one - worked great.

Rob

Can you tell us why you are now using a PullRite OE as shown in your signature instead of the Andersen.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
After using mine the last three years I don't see any reason I'd ever go back to a standard style fifth wheel hitch again. I've used a lot of them over the years and in my opinion the Andersen just works better, and that's not even considering how lightweight it is for installation/removal. I use the rail mount version.

There is a regular cast of haters on this site, including one who's already weighed in, but you'll find very few who have any first hand experience with the Andersen.

Personally I would have no issue using what you have towing a lighter 5er.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
After using mine the last three years I don't see any reason I'd ever go back to a standard style fifth wheel hitch again. I've used a lot of them over the years and in my opinion the Andersen just works better, and that's not even considering how lightweight it is for installation/removal. I use the rail mount version.

There is a regular cast of haters on this site, including one who's already weighed in, but you'll find very few who have any first hand experience with the Andersen.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I would ask those that actually own them and are using one for their opinion. Keeps down the forums Andersen bashers that have no experience with them......just a opinion.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
You will get lots and lots of "expert" advise from forum members that just KNOW their hitch is better than anything else out there. You get the same if you ask which is better to tow with, a Ford, Chevy or Ram.

Do a little bit of research and then read the forums. You can usually sift out the ones that know nothing about the hitch, just that they don't like it.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with fj12ryder.

Just for fun read the thread in this Towing section "Curt Q24 or B&W Companion 20" then compare to the Andersen.

Go to Andersen's web site and watch their "crush test". Then look at how the hitches actually fold under hard braking. The "test" does not address the huge strain that's placed on the hitch with the fore and aft forces from the RV.

Also this is a fact if towing a heavier RV with an Ultimate you can have bed deflection because the base sets on top of the beds corrugation allowing compression.

If light is what's more important rather than being a solid hitch the Andersen will meet that requirement.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Any opinions on it?" Lots of 'em around here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Not to be a smart aleck, but if you do a search for "Anderson Ultimate" you'll get a lot of hits.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"