Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Likely RV Brake Failure Crash

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, fatal. LINK

Maintain your brakes, folks. Change that fluid if it's old and make sure you have lots of friction material.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad
45 REPLIES 45

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
The driver was rejected" ??..:?
..by her boyfriend and was respondent (hee) and committed suicide.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
MotorPro wrote:
The driver was rejected .....meaning no seat belt..............as soon as she hit the first bump she was likely not even in the seat to hit the brakes.......seat belts not only help in a crash they help prevent them!

The driver was rejected" ??..:?

Shouldn't let *rejects* behind the wheel..:S

~

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
There are plenty more who cite the incidents where an occupant was ejected without serious injury and conclude it is safer to be thrown clear after looking at the wrecked vehicle. Ignoring the statistics you will more often than not end up under the vehicle.
Nothing is assured in a crash. You're just more likely to survive if you're belted in.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
The seat belt would have likely saved her life, the body is gone, but the cab looks to be well intact.
There are still some folks around who find them uncomfortable, or worse, actually think it's possible to open the door and jump out (and live) when a crash is imminent.

There are plenty more who cite the incidents where an occupant was ejected without serious injury and conclude it is safer to be thrown clear after looking at the wrecked vehicle. Ignoring the statistics you will more often than not end up under the vehicle.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
The seat belt would have likely saved her life, the body is gone, but the cab looks to be well intact.
There are still some folks around who find them uncomfortable, or worse, actually think it's possible to open the door and jump out (and live) when a crash is imminent.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Dakzuki wrote:
Maintain your brakes, folks.
"The 65-year-old woman driving the 18-foot motorhome was pronounced dead at the scene. Cool said preliminary investigation shows the woman was ejected from the motorhome and then was crushed as it continued rolling."

And don't forget to wear that seat belt.

X2

Sorry, but in my way of thinking 65 is not old! Older is like my mother who turned 90 this year and is still driving fine.

48 years ago, I installed seat belts in my parents car for safety. I have never owned a car I didn't have seat belts in and used every time I got in the car.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MotorPro
Explorer
Explorer
The driver was rejected .....meaning no seat belt..............as soon as she hit the first bump she was likely not even in the seat to hit the brakes.......seat belts not only help in a crash they help prevent them!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dakzuki wrote:
Maintain your brakes, folks.
"The 65-year-old woman driving the 18-foot motorhome was pronounced dead at the scene. Cool said preliminary investigation shows the woman was ejected from the motorhome and then was crushed as it continued rolling."

And don't forget to wear that seat belt.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Authorities are citing likely brake failure. Looks to be an older small class C. Everything aft of the cab has been shed. You can see it laying around.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Older driver, could have been she stepped on the gas instead of the brake. Happens a fair number of times, but no way to tell at this point.
Yeah, I had heard this scenario mentioned quite a bit, too, and took it for a common place event and the cause of most sudden acceleration events. That is, until I had an oil change done at a Ford dealer. When the mechanic checked my air filter, he clipped off a piece of the filter flange. The next day, after entering a State Highway, the piece of clipped plastic lodged into the throttle body and held the vehicle at WOT. The replacement air filter has a different material for the flange.

Mechanical problems do happen. But two footed drivers have had their share of broken storefront windows. I had a friend that was t-boned in a parking lot by a two footed driver. She said the harder she pushed the brake the faster she went.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Brake failure? doubt it
other mechanical failure? doubt it
operator error? possible
sixty-five YO driver suffered a medical problem before first barricade was hit? most likely
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whoo, I'll bet that was exciting there for a minute.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Older driver, could have been she stepped on the gas instead of the brake. Happens a fair number of times, but no way to tell at this point.
Yeah, I had heard this scenario mentioned quite a bit, too, and took it for a common place event and the cause of most sudden acceleration events. That is, until I had an oil change done at a Ford dealer. When the mechanic checked my air filter, he clipped off a piece of the filter flange. The next day, after entering a State Highway, the piece of clipped plastic lodged into the throttle body and held the vehicle at WOT. The replacement air filter has a different material for the flange.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe a brake failure, bit who knows. What is for sure is that was an older (late 70's or early 80's class B) so who knows what kind of shape it was in!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"