cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any ideas for keeping bears out?

SouthParkSteve
Explorer
Explorer
This may be an odd one. I have a 1978 bumper pull travel trailer that I park in my driveway. I do not keep food in it, but it is a 1978 trailer, so obviously many meals have been prepared inside it.

I live in an area where many people come to camp--at almost 11,000 feet at the base of the Continental Divide in central Colorado. My house is very near the Pike/San Isabel National Forest.

I bought my camper a year ago, and last year I had no troubles. However, this year, a bear decided he wanted to check out the inside of my camper--and tore the door off in the process. This happened about 5 days before I was supposed to leave on a week-long camping trip. I got if fixed and went on the trip, but then about 2 months later....he did it again:

I can't afford to replace the door several times per year, but I also can't really afford off-site storage.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to dissuade a bear from trying to enter an unoccupied camper?
58 REPLIES 58

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
While it may not look like a bear intrusion, it may well be. If the door and screen are still latched, the culprit may well be a bear. As far as claw and teeth marks, that is not always in evidence. In Yosemite and other parks, bears open cars without biting and clawing.

It is typical for a bear, if it finds food in a silver Ford Explorer, to cruise the parking lot or campground and look for a silver Explorer and peel back the top of the door and not really leave any marks or bite the door.

The OP did not mention that there was any damage inside or if things were thrown around. Maybe he considered that to be minor in comparison to the door being ruined.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
In case your thief is able to read http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bear-Trap-Sign-traps-trapping-hunting-log-cabin-/290956098457
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a little skeptical that it's a bear, also. A bear would have gone inside and made a big mess. If it's a bear, it's also a problem bear, and needs to be relocated. Call F&W and ask for their opinion.

I agree with the game camera idea.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe putting a picture of a few lions on the door might help.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a bear - he's a real professional. Knows exactly what to do.

When we camped in bear country, I sprayed ammonia around the compartment door that normally housed our charcoal grill; and the entry door.

But if that were my trailer, I think I'd build a fenced enclosure that's barely bigger than the trailer; then back it in. If there's not enough space for the bear (or human) to get to the door, I think they might go find another target?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I also think its a human. Shooting a bear out of season is illegal and will cost you big time, loss of firearms and a fine. Contacting the police and the wildlife management office is sound advice. Do both. Make a report. If it is a bear it could be desensitized to humans and potentially dangerous. Wildlife management would be interested in it. Also, booby traps like electrifying something could be against the law too. If that should kill someone, no matter them trying to break into your trailer, you are screwed. If an electrified type of thing is used it must be posted as such. Hope you have a good defense lawyer on speed dial. Get one of those motion activated cameras hunters use and locate it where it cant be reached easily and see what it shows.

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Parked in your driveway. well next time the so-called bear (wink wink )

will be in your House..

Lock and Load Time
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Agree this is not a bear. We have a wilderness camp in northern Ontario with lots of bears around. When they do try to get into something it is badly clawed and chewed with muddy paw marks all over the area. I think you have had a human break in.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
WishWeWereCamping wrote:
Electric fence?

We live in bear country and we keep our garbage in an enclosed trailer with a wood box that is lined with chicken wire that we connect to an electric fencer. Works great.

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Simple; put a sign on door : "Bears and Burglers Stay Out!"
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

J_L_Rivera
Explorer
Explorer
Was the door still locked? a Human would have tried to open the door for an escape and not wiggle back out through the hole.
Lake Front Property
2007 Itasca Spirit 31C
2008 Crestliner 1800 Super Hawk

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to think that you might need a security camera, alarm, and some sort of shock collar device that automatically clips onto the thing that is entering the door once it is open.

What did they take from inside? TV set? Camping gear? A bear would have used it's claws to open the drawers inside, and not lifted the latches. It would have been a royal mess inside.

Good luck finding the culprit!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
For sure not a bear.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

I don't want to sound like a "Me Too" here, but I have never seen bear damage that did not also show claw marks. If it was a bear, then when he encountered the screen inside he would have just zipped it open with a claw. Only an intruder without claws would bother to bend the screen door away.

Good Luck

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

pointrow
Explorer
Explorer
IF it truly is a bear getting in how about a solar powered electric fence charger. Your camper appears to be metal so if you isolate it from the ground it would keep most all varmints away. A piece of rubber under the jacks would work for isolation and attach the hot wire to the siding. Would be fun to get a video of its encounter.