Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any problems with plugged tires

Crdodd
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings All,

I have a slow leak in one of my trailer tires. We have a short trip planned for the 4th, so I need to get the repair done. Prior to this, i have had a blowout, and i have replaced tires, but i have never had a leak needing eepair. I was just wondering if there are any additional concerns with a plugged tire?

Thanks for the replies.

Charles
2011Wildcat 312BHX
2008 F350 6.4L PSD SRWCC 4x4 King Ranch
Companion Hitch
35 REPLIES 35

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
belfert wrote:
We tried to plug a sidewall in a trailer tire last year and it didn't last more than a few miles.

Ummm....that's because you can't repair sidewall puncture, much less with a plug! Plugs are only meant to be used within the tread area.

When you're desperate you'll try anything. It was late on a Sunday and the Walmart in Fernley, NV doesn't have a tire center. We didn't really think it would work.

rockportrocket
Explorer
Explorer
LOL and this is the beginning of a NEW thread , tire blew and tore my trailer sides up.

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I've been plugging my tires for the past 30 years. They have been reliable and have lasted until it was time to retire the tires, if that makes sense.

I always bring plugs with me on the road and have plugged flat tires in campgrounds while on long trips. This has saved me a lot of time and trouble.

I have only had to replace two plugs in all that time: both were on a utility trailer that came with the cheapest tires I've ever seen. I knew when I was inserting the plugs that they may not hold, because the cheap tire was so thin I could push the plugs in much easier than normal trailer or truck tires. Sure enough, they began leaking about a pound of air or so a week.

Other than those cheap utility trailer tires, plugs have worked flawlessly for me.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
New regs won't let them plug tires. A repair patch/plug from the inside is the only way to go. If it in the sidewall or outside the belt in a flex are it will not hold. If it is a high pressure RV tire absolutely no way even to get it to a repair facility. It will shoot it out in short order. I have a plug repair kit from many years ago. It will do, for me, until I can get it to someplace, for proper patch, in a regular passenger car tire but.... my truck cars, and rv all use higher pressure tires. The little black car is 38 lbs to 40 lbs. the truck is 45 and some tires are as high as 80 for the pick up. The Edge is 45.
Don't depend on a plug.

I would never do it, but we have a couple of tires at work with plugs in them...they seem to be holding up fine at 110psi.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer tire researchers like this one.

Look Here!

FastEagle

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
In the context it was stated, 2 punctured sidewalls, 1 spareโ€ฆ a plug was well worth a try on a lightly loaded trailer just to get to a tire shopโ€ฆ
I personally would never rely on a plug as a permanent repair on any highway tireโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
belfert wrote:
We tried to plug a sidewall in a trailer tire last year and it didn't last more than a few miles.

Ummm....that's because you can't repair sidewall puncture, much less with a plug! Plugs are only meant to be used within the tread area.

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
It is a very rare shop that will install a plug in a tire these days. They all claim they won't do it for liability reasons.

We tried to plug a sidewall in a trailer tire last year and it didn't last more than a few miles. We were trying to get to the next city to get a new tire since we had two sidewall punctures on a rural road and only one spare. We ended up just removing the one wheel from the enclosed trailer that was loaded well below GVWR and driving slow to the tire dealer for two new tires.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber Manufacturers Association on correct repair of passenger and light truck tires.

And they say "a plug by itself is an unacceptable repair". "A rubber stem, or plug, must be applied to fill the puncture injury and a patch must be applied to seal the inner liner." Some "plugs" are now a combination one-piece unit with a stem and patch portion. That is one of the preferred fixes.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Crdodd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I checked with 2 tire places close to my house, and they say they only do plugs now. They no longer do patches. Since they are large stores, I guess the plugs are working well enough for them.

I will go with the plug this trip, and see where we go from there. Thanks again.
2011Wildcat 312BHX
2008 F350 6.4L PSD SRWCC 4x4 King Ranch
Companion Hitch

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I plug my vehicle tires and did the same on my last TT. Never had an issues. Last patch I had to use was after I ran over a 30-06 round while driving the Jeep. Too big of a whole for the plug.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
His towed had a tire that looked just like that one.. he'd never heard of remote tire pressure monitoring.. I told him about it.

...and as a result of that pic I now have a TPS on the trailer too....LOL....

down home wrote:
I have a plug repair kit from many years ago.

I can tell you the plugs nowadays are not like your grand daddy's plugs...they will hold, at least they have for many years at 80 PSI on my E rated truck tires. I can't vouch for 110 psi G rated MH tires.

When you say "not allowed" that may be true for commercial vehicles like buses.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
New regs won't let them plug tires. A repair patch/plug from the inside is the only way to go. If it in the sidewall or outside the belt in a flex are it will not hold. If it is a high pressure RV tire absolutely no way even to get it to a repair facility. It will shoot it out in short order. I have a plug repair kit from many years ago. It will do, for me, until I can get it to someplace, for proper patch, in a regular passenger car tire but.... my truck cars, and rv all use higher pressure tires. The little black car is 38 lbs to 40 lbs. the truck is 45 and some tires are as high as 80 for the pick up. The Edge is 45.
Don't depend on a plug.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I once met a man, a Performer (And a good one too, caught his act) who drove a Provost, what is that half a million starting and up from there.

His towed had a tire that looked just like that one.. he'd never heard of remote tire pressure monitoring.. I told him about it.

NICE!!!!! motor home though.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times