cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone out there adhere to the "new rig every six year rule?

Danpaine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Everybody. When my wife and I bought our then-new Class C at an RV Show in 2016, lots of people we spoke to talked about the 'six-year rule,' in that when you buy new, after six years it's customary to trade your unit in for a new one, roll over the payment, then go another six years, trade, and so on.

We're just curious, is it common to do this? Or do most people just buy the unit they like, keep it and pay it off forever like we are?

Thank you.
2016 Forest River Forester
84 REPLIES 84

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
toedtoes wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
As funny as the 6 year rule is, antique RVs are functional, if thatโ€™s what the budget allows, but not too many drive 40 year old vehicles around because theyโ€™re better than newer ones (unless youโ€™re talking 20-30 years old, then Iโ€™d take a 40).

I didn't say "better", I said "better construction". The molded fiberglass design means there are no corner/edge seams to weaken or leak. Doesn't delaminate. And the manufacture didn't cut corners on quality parts or workmanship.

To find a small class C motorhome with the build quality of the American Clippers is nigh on impossible.

Maybe I can agree on the RV side however there have been lots of improvements to the 1975, 42 year old chassis.
Does it have a carburetor?
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

markc
Explorer
Explorer
???? Started with small tent for one trip, larger tent for 2 yrs, 24ft trailer for 2yrs, 27ft trailer w/1slide for 10yrs, 33ft trailer w/3slides for 4yrs, just got a 38ft fifth-wheel w/3 slides. We really like the 5th wheel, this is probably the last one.
I like tent camping but not wife so I do sectional hiking on the AT each year. I don't know why but I really like doing it.
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. We bought ours with no intention of ever selling or replacing.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Matt Colie, I was at the McCormicks Car Auction in Palm Springs in Feb. where there was a '76 GMC motorhome that was redone on the outside, the inside looked fairly original (it was open for tours). It sold for $42,000.

You can look it up if you have any interest, lot number 275.
http://www.classic-carauction.com/auction-results?auctionnbr=64&auctionid=9752

The GMC motorhomes are so cool.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
As funny as the 6 year rule is, antique RVs are functional, if thatโ€™s what the budget allows, but not too many drive 40 year old vehicles around because theyโ€™re better than newer ones (unless youโ€™re talking 20-30 years old, then Iโ€™d take a 40).

I didn't say "better", I said "better construction". The molded fiberglass design means there are no corner/edge seams to weaken or leak. Doesn't delaminate. And the manufacture didn't cut corners on quality parts or workmanship.

To find a small class C motorhome with the build quality of the American Clippers is nigh on impossible.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, only 6 years?
Well, then you never have to replace tires or batteries....
I guess I don't mind replacing tires and batteries, we are at twelve years on this coach and it is forty five years old. I do often consider that I might replace it with newer technology, but there aren't any. Maybe I will just hold out until there is one that is driverless and solar powered. Until then, we will just lover her as she deserves.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Toedtoes wrote:"It's only worth that if you're planning on selling it."
That really says it all.
Value of the RV is not found in a little black book nor does it come from a bank statement.
Value comes from use. Use it and you will get value. Use it even more and you will get more value.
Let it sit idle for long periods and you are not getting much value.
Book Value,resale value,purchase price are all secondary to actual usage when it comes to determining value.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I don't believe in the 6 year rule. But there is some sort of age rule out there.
Maybe it's more like 10 or 12. At some point the RV wears thin and needs some upgrading. While it may remain functional for the most part, the interior becomes dated and the resale value plummets.
Maybe it's different for every rig. But there is a point where selling an upgrading is more beneficial than holding on to it until the wheels fall off and its value erodes to almost nothing.
How many rigs do we see that have rotted away that should have been sold when they had some value remaining.

I'm not sure I agree with this. If you aren't using it, then selling it instead of letting it rot is a good thing. But if you use it and maintain it as much as possible, why not run it to the ground.

The money I have put into my 42 year old clipper is far less than I would have put into buying something much newer and I plan on using it until its in pieces. Who cares about getting any monetary value out of it, I'm getting a much better value by keeping and using it.

Running it into the ground will result in an RV with zero /minimal resale value because the RV is 42 years old and worn out vs. selling that RV when it has 5-10K worth of resale value remaining.

There is a point of no return when the RV is only valuable to the owner.For the most part this is OK as long as the RV is being used it is providing its full value even if its book value is close to zero.
There is a balancing act between selling and keeping. Maintenance required to keep the old one viable vs. getting a fresher updated model. I don't think it is as simple as keep it to the wheels fall off.It is possible to put too much money into a tired worn out RV vs. throwing in the towel and getting something newer/in better shape.
In the end there is no date or amount of years that will determine the time to sell/trade. Condition of the RV,the desire and ability to use RV will be bigger factors.

I have about $15-17k in my 42 year old clipper including purchase price. Most of that has been repairs for neglected maintenance and age-related deterioration (i.e., rubber).

Even if I spent more than double that, I would still have paid less for a functional RV than if I bought a new to 6yr old one. And my costs will drop on my current rig as age-related issues are fixed. With that newer RV, my costs will go up over the next 10-15 years as age-related issues start.

And that doesn't address the build quality - I have a mold fiberglass body and roof, with off-set seams. The construction on my RV is far better than any motorhome built today and will easily last as long as I can drive.

It doesn't matter if I put more money into my rig than it is worth because I have still spent less money than I would if I had bought something newer.

As told to a sibling when she was all excited over the "value" of some old prints - it's only worth that if you're planning on selling it."
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
I heard a similar rule, except it was called the three year rule, where you traded in your vehicle every three years. Great for car salespeople, but why spend money repeatedly on a depreciating item?

I am going to replace my current rig, as it doesn't suit my needs, and the next rig is intended to be my last RV unless things change fundamentally in my life. To do this requires a lot more cash than a "normal" RV, but it is worth it, since most rigs made after 2008 tend to fall apart well before the 10 year mark.

I jumped out of my last fifth wheel that I had for 8 years ONLY because a deal was dropped in my lap, and I was able to UPGRADE to all push buttons.. auto leve, auto awning, ect... Much easier on me now
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
don't think the next RV impacts the equation.
Your 2005 is now 12 years old with lots of life in it I agree I have a 2007 truck that I am fond of. However as it ages and wears its value will deteriorate as it becomes old and worn. By 2025 it will be 20 years old and sort of worn out , much in the way you are not interested in buying a 1997 model year today.
It's more about the value of your current RV.
I understand you have no motivation or desire to sell /trade your current unit. But if you continue to play the RV game you will eventually upgrade due to the wear and tear on your current unit.
They just don't last forever!
When that time comes you will choose from what is available at the time in your price range.
While there is no six year rule, there should a thought to sell your RV while it still has some value vs. taking it to the grave or spending too much to keep it viable.
Do you put a new $5k rubber roof on an RV that is worth $6K, those are the decisions we all want to avoid.

A very thoughtful response!

Thanks.

P.S. The only reason the DW and myself can think of for trading from our current "perfect" 2WD Class C RV at some point would be only for a style change - such as maybe going to a 4X4 Class B/B+ - as we sometimes want to explore and/or drycamp in areas that are recommended for 4X4 vehicles on very rough roads.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
We need a 6 page rule for this one folks.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
pnichols wrote:
All the above discussions regarding the negatives of keeping an RV "too long" assume one thing - that when looking for a replacement one can find a replacement that equals or beats what is being replaced, value-wise.

For example, from an absolute perspective ... sure I could buy a 2018 Coach House that does everything our 2005 Itasca does (except for the Coach House having smaller tanks), but I'd have to lay out 3X what I paid for the Itasca (maybe only 2.5X when adjusted for inflation). Does it make any kind of non-emotional economic sense for me to do that ... none at all.

There is one caveat however: For motorized RVs the chassis still has to be maintainable, parts-wise and service-wise as the years pass by. This is not so much of a concern with towable RVs.

I don't think the next RV impacts the equation.
Your 2005 is now 12 years old with lots of life in it I agree I have a 2007 truck that I am fond of. However as it ages and wears its value will deteriorate as it becomes old and worn. By 2025 it will be 20 years old and sort of worn out , much in the way you are not interested in buying a 1997 model year today.
It's more about the value of your current RV.
I understand you have no motivation or desire to sell /trade your current unit. But if you continue to play the RV game you will eventually upgrade due to the wear and tear on your current unit.
They just don't last forever!
When that time comes you will choose from what is available at the time in your price range.
While there is no six year rule, there should a thought to sell your RV while it still has some value vs. taking it to the grave or spending too much to keep it viable.
Do you put a new $5k rubber roof on an RV that is worth $6K, those are the decisions we all want to avoid.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
All the above discussions regarding the negatives of keeping an RV "too long" assume one thing - that when looking for a replacement one can find a replacement that equals or beats what is being replaced, value-wise.

For example, from an absolute perspective ... sure I could buy a 2018 Coach House that does everything our 2005 Itasca does (except for the Coach House having smaller tanks), but I'd have to lay out 3X what I paid for the Itasca (maybe only 2.5X when adjusted for inflation). Does it make any kind of non-emotional economic sense for me to do that ... none at all.

There is one caveat however: For motorized RVs the chassis still has to be maintainable, parts-wise and service-wise as the years pass by. This is not so much of a concern with towable RVs.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C