cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone out there adhere to the "new rig every six year rule?

Danpaine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Everybody. When my wife and I bought our then-new Class C at an RV Show in 2016, lots of people we spoke to talked about the 'six-year rule,' in that when you buy new, after six years it's customary to trade your unit in for a new one, roll over the payment, then go another six years, trade, and so on.

We're just curious, is it common to do this? Or do most people just buy the unit they like, keep it and pay it off forever like we are?

Thank you.
2016 Forest River Forester
84 REPLIES 84

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people follow that rule or similar. But I thinks it's 7 years for spouses. RV's not sure.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
After reading about all the problems that new buyers are having with the current 'Build em as fast as you can RV's, I'm going to keep my 5 year old 5th wheel a little longer. Better safe than sorry.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I don't believe in the 6 year rule. But there is some sort of age rule out there.
Maybe it's more like 10 or 12. At some point the RV wears thin and needs some upgrading. While it may remain functional for the most part, the interior becomes dated and the resale value plummets.
Maybe it's different for every rig. But there is a point where selling an upgrading is more beneficial than holding on to it until the wheels fall off and its value erodes to almost nothing.
How many rigs do we see that have rotted away that should have been sold when they had some value remaining.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I canโ€™t imagine how all of us could afford anything if we bought RVโ€™s every 6 years?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
In a somewhat related vein, I'm amazed at the number of people who have a one or maybe 2 year old multi hundred thousand dollar rig and are in the process of getting a new one - why? If I had the money to do that, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do that. Sounds like too much of a headache with all the things that can be or go wrong with new ones, even the most expensive ones.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like an off-shoot of an automobile lease plan adapted to RV's. Some salesman came up with that to convince you to always have up to date RV and never ending payments.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a rule made up by RV salesmen.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe some people find it easier to but a new rig instead of new tires???
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of such a thing, nor would I ever follow it.

That said, the only argument in favor of this, that I could imagine, is if someone is buying rigs that they are paying off over 10+ years. As a unit ages, you are going to start seeing more failures that require repair. I don't know what that 'sweet spot' is (and a lot of it probably depends on the payment schedule), but if someone simply wants to stay on regular payments and never pay a unit off, while avoiding the increased repair costs of an older unit, there is probably a point, somewhere in that 6 year range (or so), where the value and principal balance align in a way that you could simply roll those payments over to a fresh purchase.

Essentially, it would become a lease structure. Not what I would do, but I could see the justification for doing it in specific cases.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I can see a RV dealer recommending you get a new rig every six years. ๐Ÿ™‚

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good threads today! Keep them coming!
Six year rule? Trying to think.....bout right for tires and septic tank pumping. Never heard of it for trading in RVs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
weโ€™ve kept each of our previous two motorhomes for 15-years. we last bought in 2015 and expect to keep it 15-yrs.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We only change rigs when our needs change and the current rig no longer meets them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

That is a tire rule, NOT a RIG rule.....

MOST folks here would be broke, upside down in payments, not camping because their broke if they went by that rule. . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
sales BS. why do that unless you are NOT happy

there are some people that trade cars every few years
and guess some that trade RVs more often than most of us
but i do not think 6yrs is the National avg
or avg RULE

We hang out with a couple that trades in both cars every 30000 miles period. They just don't understand how we keep cars for 10 or more years & lots of miles.