cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone paint over the brass fixtures?

EricGT
Explorer
Explorer
It appears a lot of mid-2000's motorhomes come with brass fixtures. Has anyone painted over them along with the metal on the shower stalls?
Or would it be easier to replace all fixtures and then just paint the stall?
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'
30 REPLIES 30

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the time and patience, paint. If it doesn't turn out, then replace with more modern fixtures. I replaced my brass with silver (matte finish) and it looks much better. Everything will be easy except the shower. If you can take it apart, get it powder coated.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
When Moses came down from the mountain, he dropped one of the three tablets; on it was another five commandments. When it hit the ground it broke, leaving us with only the first ten commandments. The third tablet has been partially reconstructed allowing us to read parts of it.

e.g.

XI Thou shalt not paint brass.

XII Thou shalt polish brass to a high luster daily.

XIII Thou shalt make bottles of brass in which to imprison the Jinn.

The other two commandments have not yet been deciphered.

There is a group of holy men called Boatswain's Mates whose sole function is to enforce these commandments.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
Stars101 wrote:
We have done this in the house with cheap brass fixtures. I just used Rustoleum hammered finish spray paint. Worked fine. I didn't even buff the surface - just shot it and let it dry. Works fine on fixtures. Not sure if it would hold up on stuff you touch a lot though.

makes a huge difference in how things look.

Did this too, but sprayed primer first. Still looks good 10 years later.
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
There is a posting with video in the Class A Motorhome Forum. They sandblasted all their Brass including the Shower Stall.
Turned out nice !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Eric,

I really liked the way my spray over turned out with
this....

lots of color options...

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
EricGT wrote:
Question- am I the only one who finds the shiny brass to be hideously gaudy?
I am shocked they were still doing this in the mid-00's.
We remodeled our house in 2005 and anything brass was a huge no-no. Kinda like shopping for avocado appliances.

X2

... although, it really depends on the application. Love it on boats.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
If you want it to stick well, use an etching primer. You can even paint over chrome plate without it coming off.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukhrn wrote:
EricGT wrote:
ryegatevt wrote:
Kittykath wrote:
EricGT wrote:
We remodeled our house in 2005 and anything brass was a huge no-no. Kinda like shopping for avocado appliances.

I second that. Screams 90's...at least in the house anyway. Even if the brass was sprayed, the style is more than likely still outdated.

Heck, I scream 90s! (Or even 70s and 80s.) Have also polished boat brass, and love the looks of it!

So does your RV also have a VCR and 8-track player along with those brass fixtures? ๐Ÿ˜„
If they still worked, & I still had the tapes left, it would. BTW, I like the brass, if it's shined.

No 8-Track in the RV, but just sold a '71 TR-6 with one...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Painted fan which was brass.

We bought new cabinet hardware

Ceiling light

Went to HD, bought a can of Hammer Paint.

Rest is history. So far good, did not do any sanding.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
EricGT wrote:
ryegatevt wrote:
Kittykath wrote:
EricGT wrote:

I second that. Screams 90's...at least in the house anyway. Even if the brass was sprayed, the style is more than likely still outdated.

Heck, I scream 90s! (Or even 70s and 80s.) Have also polished boat brass, and love the looks of it!

So does your RV also have a VCR and 8-track player along with those brass fixtures? ๐Ÿ˜„
If they still worked, & I still had the tapes left, it would. BTW, I like the brass, if it's shined.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

DesertSpooners
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can paint over the brass. I painted the brass fixture and bought a shade at Walmart. It was Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze. The paint was about six dollars. I just wiped the dust away and hung it in a tree with a coat hanger so I could turn it to get an even spray. It is beautiful. There are tiny flecks of sparkles in the paint. Several months later, I was shopping for a new floor lamp for the house when I realized I all I needed was a little paint and there was enough left in the can to cover the floor lamp. Now you know my little secret...sh-sh-sh. Don't tell anyone.
Still having fun!

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stars101 wrote:
We have done this in the house with cheap brass fixtures. I just used Rustoleum hammered finish spray paint. Worked fine. I didn't even buff the surface - just shot it and let it dry. Works fine on fixtures. Not sure if it would hold up on stuff you touch a lot though.

makes a huge difference in how things look.
I did this with all the brass fixtures . I used a wire brush on a drill to rough up the surface.

EricGT
Explorer
Explorer
ryegatevt wrote:
Kittykath wrote:
EricGT wrote:

2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kittykath wrote:
EricGT wrote:

Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie