cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone sorry they bought an RV?

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a middle class suburban neighborhood. There are about 6-7 RVs, that never move from their driveways. I know because I have driven past them every week, for the past 6 years.
I don't see any For Sale signs, I think if they were for sale, 6 years should have been time enough to sell them.
I imagine that maybe these folks either inherited them or bought them, and their circumstances changed, (illness, divorce, job-loss?). Maybe they just don't want to get rid of it for some reason. Seems strange as the RVs are just getting old. There's an Airstream trailer that must be 30 or 40 years old. This guy has other vehicles that he maintains, but the Airstream just sits, blocking the driveway.
Just wondering if there was any forum members that have an RV, and don't use it.
61 REPLIES 61

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_Diane wrote:
No regrets, however, if I had known life was going to happen after we made the purchase, I would have kept our 6 yr old tt. We bought in 2009, and in 2010, in a period of 2 weeks, Iost part of a lung, have COPD and a rare disease that only 1 in 30, 000 people in the us get each year and is 100% deadly with no treatment and they don't know the cause of it or how to treat except with cancer drugs, prednisone, transplant drugs. And hear I felt pretty good that I was still walking after breaking my back in 2000, and stage 4 cancer in 06, DW with STAGE 1 breast cancer in 07, I am diagnosed with Diabeties in 08, Now they are watching the heart and I have a weak left ventrical because of the disease and it has damaged my kidneys. Life is good! I just wish I would have gotten a little sign of things to come. I still camp constantly by the way and as my friend told me that he also sees many who buy nice units and leave them sit, but I like to keep the wheels moving! I don't look back, always forward! Life would be a bummer without the rv.
x2 x3 x4 great attitude dam diabetes. good luck with your life and keep it up. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Never sorry that I got into RVing/camping... it's one of the main things that keep me going... if I'm fortunate enough to ever retire I'm hoping to tour the nation parks.

See the same thing around where I live, lots and lots of Rv's that sit in the driveway, backyard unused. Though I do see a few RV's where their getting some use out of them.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure this is a good place to ask that question.
I imagine anyone who regrets buying an RV would not be a member of an RV forum
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Ken_O
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder the same thing as I drive around, I see lots of campers that haven't moved in years.

Last year I looked into storing the RV in Florida off season at an outdoor storage. I saw about the same thing. I talked to the owner, and he said a large proportion haven't moved in many years, this is both boats and RVs.

I didn't store mine, I use it too much, I wanted to have an idea of cost. One thing that makes it real useful is my grandson lives in Ohio, just 2 miles from Maumee State park. I go down a couple times during the summer and he camps with me. We get some quality time together. When he comes up here to visit, I take him to Jellystone in Grayling, MI, which is real close. They have lots of activities for kids.

I use mine for more than just camping, its also a motel away from home when visiting, or other activities.
Silverado 250HD '07 Duramax
2017 Jayflight 21QB

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
You are getting opinions from people who obviously love RVing and are active on an RV forum.

They say 1 in 12 people own an RV of some type. When I drive around here I see about 11 of those 12 people have them parked and never move. You may want to find a way to direct your question to those people. ๐Ÿ™‚

Honestly if I could turn back time I would not have an RV or the big building to store it in. We rarely use it and it still costs a lot and still requires maintenance while it is sitting unused. Used it 1 time this year. Always seems to be something else that is more important comes up.

So add mine to the list of parked and not moving. You just can't see it. ๐Ÿ™‚

That's such a shame. If it's costing you money and you don't use it, why not sell it. It seems like most campgrounds have a rental cabin, or you could always tent it if you want to go camping.

We have camped for over 14 years now, but only 4 or so in a TT.

Are we sorry we bought it? Absolutely not. With both of us having jobs and 3 kids in school, we still managed to camp 10 times this year, hitting several state and national parks.

I guess if we start to regret getting it, we will have moved on to another type of hobby that interests us. But for right now, this is how we want to raise our kids. We took 10 vacations (3 of them were 1 week long) and when you include a year's worth of camper payments, insurance, gas, and lodging......we spent the same amount of other families that fly to a destination and stay for 1 week. I'm pretty happy to do 10X as much!!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

az99
Explorer
Explorer
You are getting opinions from people who obviously love RVing and are active on an RV forum.

They say 1 in 12 people own an RV of some type. When I drive around here I see about 11 of those 12 people have them parked and never move. You may want to find a way to direct your question to those people. ๐Ÿ™‚

Honestly if I could turn back time I would not have an RV or the big building to store it in. We rarely use it and it still costs a lot and still requires maintenance while it is sitting unused. Used it 1 time this year. Always seems to be something else that is more important comes up.

So add mine to the list of parked and not moving. You just can't see it. ๐Ÿ™‚

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope not sorry we bought an RV but I am kind of sorry that I sold mine.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
A long time ago when we were first talking of RV'ing we had every plan of getting a 3500 a big fifth and just going. When it came time to actually do it,we forced ourselves into a reality check.
We realized that the was no way we were going to go with out seeing the kids for six months on the road. Plus there is no way that I could bring myself to let a management company or lawn service tend to my house a for that long a period.
Somehow putting close to a hundred k into a nice rig just didn't seem wise.
We ended up getting a capable half ton and a TT,for half the expenditure. Doing some quick arithmetic, we have used it just over 10% of the time we have owned it. The Missus retires in April and we have 6 weeks trips planned for next summer. After that we'll see.

Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a neighbor with a FW in his backyard. Their adult DD moved back home with their deadbeat SIL and brought their home with them. They have lived in the backyard for going on three years now. Two adults and two small children living in daddy's backyard.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
My only regret is we don't get to go as often as we'd like. I have a bass boat and am on the water almost every weekend, during the "soft water" period. Between that and our jobs, etc. there is very little precious time to get out with the RV.

We did buy it with our retirement plans in mind, so right now we try to get out 2-3 times per summer. We love it and I'm sure there are many more trips in our future once we get to retire.

Happy Camping!
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
We too love our RV. However, I too wonder how someone can just let one sit? I even have a good neighbor who does this. He has had thru the years RVโ€™s, campers, boats, and more items just left out and never used. I know for a fact he uses one camper to store rotten wood. The trees have taken one very nice sailboat. I would say the value when he 1st parked it was near $10,000 or maybe more. Now, he will have to pay to have it removed. It just makes me wonder just like the 1st poster.
:C

God Bless

Happy_Trails
Explorer
Explorer
Use ours daily, full timers...

But years ago when we bought it, it sat at times for months, then we went somewhere a couple of weeks. Summers a couple of weekends a month.
Bob & Nadine
1984 Allegro, always at home!
Living Life With a "Golden Age Passport"
and Thousand Trails VIP Membership, Priceless!
Home Park: Verde Valley.

Korean Veteran - 5th Regimental Combat Team
.....Every Mission assigned,
Accomplished.....

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of people with R.V.s that are never used, we have a few around our area. The point being I never see anyone maintain them they just sit there nobody ever checks the caulking, the tires are anything. There's one of them that every few years is gone for a week to some local fair they get a whim to visit, point being they never check the caulking or the tires which have got to be at least 10 yrs. old by now. They're super nice people but I'm afraid one of these years they're in for a big problem if they find a fair that they decide to visit. No way I could let mine sit like that, I bought it to use it and that is what we do every chance we get, making plans for a last trip around the first of Nov. now. My neighbor used to tell me if I keep tinkering with I was going to break it, well she's gone and I'm still tinkering.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

Handyman_Xenabl
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely NOT sorry we bought our HTT. We are however, sorry we didn't come here and read a lot FIRST to educate ourselves.

Had we come here before purchasing our RV, we would have bought our second RV first (we still have our first RV, which is 2yrs old) and bought our new TV before the second RV ๐Ÿ™‚

We would still have bought an HTT, but would have thought more about the floorplan and functionality and gone a little bigger.

This year we decided on a seasonal site at a lovely CG just an hour from home. It will give us the chance to get away any (or every) weekend after work Fridays, with just the tent ends to open up and very minimal set up.