cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are generator parallel kits universal

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I was looking at the posts on the Champion generators and it got me to thinking about parallel kits. I looked on Amazon and there are a few different manufacturers selling kits and they all claim to be brand specific.

Has anybody ever bought one of the many kits and opened it up to look inside? My thought is that the kits are probably all the same with the wires just connecting to the outlets and no electronics involved.

WEN
Generac
Champion
Pulsar
Briggs and Stratton
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
8 REPLIES 8

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
But universal cords may not color coordinate.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Thanks Gordon3 That's kind of what I figured would be inside. Just wires and the plug.

Has anybody else opened up a different parallel kit to see if it's any different?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
My special Yamaha twin-tech cable turned out to be $100 worth of wires and an overmold 30a receptacle.

They are using safety banana plugs, which are insulated both shroud and tip. Can get those from Mouser and solder yourself.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
What do they do about syncing the phases? Do inverter generators sync themselves?

Those that are parallel capable sync themselves, at least with the same brand/model. I would not assume that all inverter generators can properly and safely sync to any particular AC power source, nor that all inverter generators are capable of parallel operation (though these days most of the smaller ones, at least, are able to do that).

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
Do inverter generators sync themselves?
yep
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do they do about syncing the phases? Do inverter generators sync themselves?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Several DIY videos on YouTube. Just wire.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Honda ones are just wires. About $23 worth.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman