cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attention RV manufactures, I want only one KEY!!

tll
Explorer
Explorer
So in this day and age don't you think that all the manufactures could build an RV that only needed one key to open everything? It sure is an inconvenience. My travel trailer has 5 keys: Front door, rear door, front storage, rear storage, and shower. I would think that one
manufacture could supply all of the different locks needed. I am sure this is a cost driven thing, but really?
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew
21 REPLIES 21

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Trimark door handle that supports Trimark's KeyOne™ Plus locking, then the lock and deadbolt can be keyed to the same key.

Examples:
MH & FW
http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zPlatform.aspx?platformid=22&categoryid=12
http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zPlatform.aspx?platformid=152&categoryid=12
TT
http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zPlatform.aspx?platformid=44&categoryid=12
http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zPlatform.aspx?platformid=45&categoryid=12
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
am I mistaken?
don't ALL RV door keys fit each door on every unit, or something like that and they give ya the deadbolt which is different on every unit?

In general, there are a couple of manufacturers of entry locks, and about 50 different keys per manufacturer that may be used on any given entry/exit door or toy hauler ramp. Normally, both the deadbolt and handle lock are keyed the same. There is also a master key that will generally open the handle locks, but the deadbolt is keyed so that a master will NOT open it. Look for an "M" stamped on the face of your handle-lock cylinder.

As the builder puts the doors together, they grab the next lockset in the bin and put it together. Front and Back entry doors(and ramps on toy haulers) rarely match.

Baggage and compartment doors are another thing entirely. They are generally either the CH751, or the Southco R0001. The odds are that one of those two keys will open any baggage or compartment door.

Thieves have been caught (very recently in fact) going through campgrounds with these two keys and taking what they can - while people were asleep in their trailers/coaches.

Using a place like RV Locks and More you can get cylinders to re-key your entry doors and ramps. You can get them all the same. When you order a set for the entry doors, they will include am "M" master keyed cylinder for the handle lock. You can also buy separate non-master keyed cylinders to use on the handle lock. You can even key the deadbolt and handle lock differently.

You can also get replacements for the baggage and compartment locks. You can get them keyed to a specific standard to match other locks on your trailer. As long as you get them keyed to anything other than CH751 or R001, you are most likely safe.

Time is your friend, and the enemy of the thief. Time means that the risk of them being seen or caught goes way up. They want to work fast, so anything you do to require time to get into your trailer is a deterrent.

The sad fact is this - in general, you only need to make your trailer a little harder to get into than the next guy. A criminal will pick the easier target.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
FunnyCamper wrote:
am I mistaken?
don't ALL RV door keys fit each door on every unit, or something like that and they give ya the deadbolt which is different on every unit?

I know my compartment keys can unlock other's units cause I did it.

aren't some universal on campers and some are not? if everyone had one key and the same locks, then....hmm if I need something I can just go get it from another very easily LOL

Most campers have the famous CH751 key for the storage doors. So many folks have changed them out that I think mine are pretty rare now. 🙂

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
am I mistaken?

I know my compartment keys can unlock other's units cause I did it.

aren't some universal on campers and some are not? if everyone had one key and the same locks, then....hmm if I need something I can just go get it from another very easily LOL

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Oops double post
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
ICamel wrote:
Don't like it? Change them! I did with Global Locks. Fortunately my 5r entry door came with the Global so I only had to change the barrel locks on the baggage doors to match. Easy and inexpensive job, and the keys are all the same double sided.
Google "RVLocksAndMore"

We went from 4 keys to only 2 once we ordered replacement barrels for the 2 entry doors, and matching cam locks for the pass through. ONLY the outdoor shower has the stock key (infamous 751 lock) because RV Locks and More did not have a replacement cam lock for it (only is about 1/2").

Cost was about $50 shipped, replaced 2 entry doors, the 2 pass through doors, and ordered a couple of the led keys also.

Before changing the locks, we had a different key for the main entrance, bathroom entrance, outdoor kitchen, then the infamous 751 key for the 2 pass through doors and the outdoor shower.

for the outside shower door I went to a local rv supply store and got a cam lock cam with a deeper offset then I used a longer cylinder with the deeper offset cam.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I think that I like having 2 keys, one for the entry door and another for the dead-bolt lock on the same door. I don't tend to use the dead-bolt unless I feel uncomfortable with leaving the MH unattended. I was disappointed to learn that the driver's door uses the same key as my storage compartments, which probably many RV'ers also have.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

avan
Explorer
Explorer
I took a different approach. I got glasses. I took some memory courses, was hypnotized and take supplements to improve my memory. And it worked. I can now quite easily see the difference between my keys and can remember which key works which lock. And I reduce the weight in my pocket by only carrying the door lock key fob leaving all other less used keys in a handy spot inside. 🙂
www.putt10.net

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
THere are lots of options to reduce the amount of keys. Including keyless entry for the main door and combination locks for the storage compartments.
Unlike a car the locks on an RV comes from lots of sources and are not supplied by a single source. Yoiu end up with locks and keys from different sources that are not keyed alike.
Nevertheless there are plenty of aftermarket solutions.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I carry no keys. I keep the ones I have in the ignition at all times and use the keyless entry on the front door to get in and out and into the baggage compartments. I hate keys.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
Cars / trucks use to need 2 keys.....

Ignition for 1 and doors/trunk/glove box for the other..

remember when glove box had a LOCK????????

both our cars have locks on the glove boxes (2013 and 2015 models).
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you could have your TV, RV, house, safe deposit, car(s) all keyed to one key. Which would go along with using one password for every web site.

That way if you lose you key or password it makes it more convenient for the next person to use. 🙂

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have at least 4 key rings for ours. One for me, and three for DW to lose.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
It's a status symbol. Gotta have a keyring hanging on your belt with lots of keys. More keys, more important!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.