cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Automatic levelers

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Question folks. This may belong in the 5th wheel section but I put it here to get a wider answer. What are automatic levelers and for those units that don't have it how do they level if the automatic leverlers are not there ?thanks
13 REPLIES 13

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add one other comment

I know several (over two dozen) who said automatic leveled were an unnecessary complication / expense. That they could setup and level their rig just as fast as anyone with automatic leveled.

They all ended buying their current rig with levelers because they were already install d.

Everyone of them now say they were wrong, and they will never again have a rig without automatic leveled.

I've never met anyone with them who dislikes them. Yes, a couple have had maintenance issure. One friend uses the levelers in automatic mode then has to manually adjust we them to get his Monaco level.

Now one wants to go back to a rig without them.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We added the Equalizer 6 point hydraulic levelers to our 5er last year. Will never have another rv without auto level. Not cheap but I think worth every penny.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
When my wife decided she's had enough of my antics leveling and setting up our 5th wheel and insisted we get a Class A, one of the sales people sealed the deal with this statement: "The difference between you in your 5th wheel and me in the Class A is, by the time you're done leveling I'm two cocktails ahead of you"

Now a Class A RVer
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
First thing we did when we bought the fiver 10 years ago was to have Quadra Mfg. install a set of BigFoot levelers. Best investment we ever made in the RV!

Run down front jacks, disconnect truck, hit "auto" button and stand there while the rig levels itself. That's all there is to it.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

techadventurer
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 28 foot travel trailer. I level my trailer with the Andersen levelers. Works beautifully! No need to go back and forth to add additional boards to add/remove height from 1 side. You have your partner monitor the level on your trailer while you drive forward. When the level indicates the right target, you partner tells you to stop. Done! Easy. If you have a double axle trailer you will need 2 sets.

product: http://amzn.to/2eM4awt

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
batavia02 wrote:
Question folks. This may belong in the 5th wheel section but I put it here to get a wider answer. What are automatic levelers and for those units that don't have it how do they level if the automatic leverlers are not there ?thanks

Some others will answer your question but all I can tell you is my daughter has them on her new Cougar 5th wheel and they work awesome. Wish I had them on my TT!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:
Isn't it sad that almost every WM parking lot is more level than 80% of any of campgrounds/RV parks you've ever visited?

Walmart has a lot more money to put into a drainage system for a near half-million square foot parking lot than any RV campground owner.

If campgrounds were built to Walmart parking lot standards, there would never be a tree in one, and it would cost $150 or more per night.

Many of the campgrounds we choose to visit are in places where level is very hard to achieve, and many of those campgrounds were built before anyone envisioned a 36' TT like I have.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
PghBob wrote:
Class C owner here. I use leveling blocks purchased from Walmart to level the rig when necessary. Others use all types of mechanical or automatic type systems. The down side with a Class C using leveling systems is that the system adds weight and decreases the amount of stuff you can carry including people. For some rigs, the weight doesn't matter. For others, it can cause the rig to exceed the GVWR of the chassis and/or suspension components.

For some reason, when I read your post my mind immediately went to a WalMart parking lot. Isn't it sad that almost every WM parking lot is more level than 80% of any of campgrounds/RV parks you've ever visited?

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Class C owner here. I use leveling blocks purchased from Walmart to level the rig when necessary. Others use all types of mechanical or automatic type systems. The down side with a Class C using leveling systems is that the system adds weight and decreases the amount of stuff you can carry including people. For some rigs, the weight doesn't matter. For others, it can cause the rig to exceed the GVWR of the chassis and/or suspension components.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TT without anything except the stabilizer jacks, and scissor jacks I've added behind the wheels.

I wish I had automatic levelers.

It's about 10 to 30 minutes shorter to setup at a campsite.

Automatice levelers are not perfect. I've seen Class A units with the automatic levelers holding the front (or rear) wheels off the ground to level the rig. Very bad practice. There should always be something under each wheel.

Depending upon the surface your rig sits upon - what was level the day you setup may not be level in a couple days. If we are on dirt, I always extend the stabilizers and jack after a couple days. The ground gets sunken under the weight of the rig, and to maintain the best stability, or to return to near level, I have to adjust.

The principle of automatic leveling is two-fold. The biggest is to lessen the time and effort and equipment needed to get the rig near level. The second important aspect is to take as much weight as reasonably possible off the TT/5er/motorhome suspension.

The percentage of the total weight on the rig springs is the primary source of movement within rig after being setup. Use levelers to get weight off the springs - a more stable rig.

I've also seen a 5er use hydraulic levelers in the manual mode to raise one side of the rig enough to lubricate wheel bearings. Of course, he had a jack and jack stands to make sure the rig wouldn't fall if the hydraulics failed.

It was interesting to see all four wheel bearings repacked/greased and finished in less than 15 minutes. And the rig back to level on the campsite.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fifth wheel here...front landing gear, power. Back stabilizers, manual, crank down. I use 2x12 boards, beveled each end and pull up on them, lower side of trailer. I do it by myself, no big deal. On a good size motor home, the automatic levelers are very nice. On 26 to 30', there again, I just used boards to level with if no jacks.

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only familiar with the air suspension and hydraulic levelers that are on motorhomes (I believe electric versions also exist). The air levelers use the air suspension bags and inflate each as necessary to achieve level. Hydraulic levelers are hydraulic cylinders or "jacks" and are powered by a central pump or one pump per cylinder. Both automatic and manual versions exist (at least of the hydraulic types). The automatic levelers simply require a button push and they take care of everything (assuming not on impossibly sloped ground). The manual hydraulic levelers require the operator to push up/down buttons to achieve level.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
manually.
Boards under wheels to get even side to side
Jacks whether on the fiver or separately.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind