cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning Clamps

nwtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our current 5th wheel about a year and a half ago, and one of the things that we had to "fix" was the awning. It is 21' long and the tube was badly bowed and the fabric was in pretty bad shape, although with no tears or holes. I am sure that it was the original awning from 1998.

Anyway, we just had a new tube and awning installed a short time ago. I was told that it is recommended to have a center support on any awning 18' or longer, which I don't have. There is no real place to install a support for when traveling down the road.

Recently, we were in ID, where some people we knew showed us what they have for awning support when the awning is rolled up. He was real happy with it and said it was real easy to install and to work when the awning is rolled up.

Now, I would like to know if anyone here has used them and liked them, or have used them and don't like them. Not sure yet how to post pictures, but here is a link http://www.amazon.com/RV-Innovations-30611-White-Awning/dp/B001FC356I/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1370816442&sr=8-17&keywords=rv+innoations

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
NWTraver
6 REPLIES 6

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
Before I had these clamps installed I call the manufacture a talked to there rep. He said that the clamps were originality designed to keep the awning from unrolling during heavy wind while driving. The secondary benefit is that it supports the awning tube. It is recommended to use two clamps if your awning is over 18ft. When installed they are very easy the lock and unlock with the awning rod.

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad's link looks like a much better product. No need to unhook and rehook it.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why your awning would not be secured to the side of the trailer simply by the spring pressure against the fabric. I thought when you mentioned awning clamps, that you were having problems with the awning luffing in the wind while deployed and I use three sets of these clamps on my awning when it's opened. If you are looking for something for when you're traveling that may do the trick though it shouldn't be necessary. Many of the instances of awnings unfurling while under way happen because someone leaves the lever in the wrong position (unlatched) while traveling OR when the spring that keeps it there is not functioning properly. Either way, good luck and happy traveling / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two of the clamps in your link installed on my 19' awning. They work well for both purposes, preventing the awning from unfurling as well as supporting the tube while under way. Hooking and unhooking them is easily done with an awning rod.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

nwtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, I probably used the wrong term in "support", but I am thinking that if I mounted two of them approx. 7' apart from each other, it would keep the awning from unfurling, and also keep the tube from bouncing while traveling, by keeping it secured against the trailer.

NWTraveler

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
What you are linking to and showing is not really designed as an awning 'support.'. It is an awning lock that is suppose to keep the awning material from unfurling during travel.

This might be what you are looking for....LINK

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro