cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning repair

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
Small (about 12") rips on both sides of awning at the sewed seam. What is the best repair? If tape, is there a preferred/better quality brand?

We are parked for a couple weeks and plan to take care of several issues that have come up.
Jack and Nina
10 REPLIES 10

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the clear awning repair tape posted above and it worked OK for several years. Got mine at wal mart. As others noted, I consider it a temporary repair that allowed me to stretch a few more years out of the awning before I eventually replaced the fabric. I've hear the "sail tape" is a heavier duty version of the RV type of tape and might be better in the long run. Can't hurt to try it, so why not?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the CW repair tape. Maybe one or two seasons and it comes off. I put on West Marine sail tape, works much better. Fabric based and makes a nicer looking repair.
Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good results with sail repair tape from a marine store like west marine.

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the RV Awning Repair Tape and wasn't impressed. Gorilla Tape worked better.
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it was an inch or two, it might be a cost savings.

We used eternabond on a slide topper and got 4yrs out of it but it was only a 2" tear. At 12" I wouldn't expect the same life.

Also, what is the condition of the canvas? Our repair has finally given out but that is because the material is failing not the tape. I'm not sure what a full awning would cost but we found replacement fabric for a large slideout for around $160. Replacement looks pretty simple (we'll find out when the weather warms up a bit more)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Deedle
Explorer
Explorer
Clear Gorilla tape works well also, had to use some last year on my slid topper, just ordered a replacement for it, the birds was picking at it to make a nest.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
You can get the tape at just about any RV Parts store, camping world does not have an exclusive on it, but will probably charge you more for it. I used quite a bit of it before finally replacing our awning, and it seems to work well.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to the Camping World repair tape. I've used it in the past with very good results. It's not a permanent solution, but will get you by until you can replace the fabric.

Repair Tape
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used it, but carry some in case, clear awning repair tape I got at camping world. I've read on the forums it does a good job. Much cheaper than replacing awning.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch