cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back up Camera ... Hitching Trailer

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
In my last truck I installed one of those $39 wireless back up cameras purchased on the auction site.. It worked great but was a pain to install the wiring for the mirror monitor... Now I have a replacement truck and again need a camera for hitching up the trailer. Has anyone tried or used one of these " Rampage 7710 Portable WiFi Back-Up Camera" it attaches with a magnet and can be used for other things around the campsite if needed.. You see the picture in your phone when activated. Looks much easier to use.. Any comments or experience with this unit.. Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

APT
Explorer
Explorer
$2000 navigation package was worth every penny for the backup camera on my tow vehicle.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
I had to separately order a 50' extension for it, the trailer is 40 foot so I'll have a little extra to coil and secure. Not bad at 25 bucks. Haven't got that part yet but I have the connections ready and waiting. The wireless works great and the picture quality isn't bad at all. Will be nice to be able to see behind the trailer whenever I want. Driving or backing.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
dwayneb236 wrote:
I have the Garmin RV760 that came with a wireless camera. I have it attached to my plate and powered through my reverse lights. I also have a secondary wiring that goes through an upfitter switch for all the time monitoring. I have this to attach the camera to the back of my trailer. Just swap the power line from the back up lights, pull the camera off and attach it to mount on back of trailer. plug in the extension from the transmitter, and I can monitor behind my trailer whenever I want. can all be done in under a minute.

Thank You.. I was thinking this was possible.

I hope Santa will send me a RV760 (or its replacement) with backup camera and long cable.
currently Garmin 2597.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Peak 3 1/2 inch backup camera.. autozone etc.. 69 dollars.. sometimes on sale.

I paint the nose of hitch white with red strip.. better view in camera.

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin RV760 that came with a wireless camera. I have it attached to my plate and powered through my reverse lights. I also have a secondary wiring that goes through an upfitter switch for all the time monitoring. I have this to attach the camera to the back of my trailer. Just swap the power line from the back up lights, pull the camera off and attach it to mount on back of trailer. plug in the extension from the transmitter, and I can monitor behind my trailer whenever I want. can all be done in under a minute.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the iBall camera with great success - google it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I use a wifi camera to my cell phone similarly, it does work but wifi is very weak, too close to the metal tailgate or metal camper means no signal.

There's also a significant delay between the video and reality. You get used to it.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed