cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back-up cameras

fisher60
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a back-up camera that will help me hook up my trailer and provide me a view of it while driving. Looking for suggestions
'01 Dutchman Express 28A, Borg Chrome Dually Valve Stems, Pacific Dualies Wheel Simulators, '06 Tuscon, 2014 FLHTCUTG
Good Sam Life Member
17 REPLIES 17

pdmac1946
Explorer
Explorer
Hard wiring is ideal because there is no signal interruption. However, with a TT it is a long reach and has too many connections to go wrong. As long as you have a clean site line the wireless ones are great. They are also easy to move around or change to another vehicle.

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
I also got a Rear View Safety wired system for my Class C. Used it as a rear view mirror since the actual mirror had a very limited view.
Mounted inside to avoid drilling and weather. Worked great. Has a wide angle lens and other vehicles were much closer than they looked. It gave an excellent view of my car behind and what was right next to my car. Used outside mirrors for stuff further down the road. Good for maybe 50 yards behind my RV, then went to outside mirrors. Plugged in to Cig lighter.
It does have lights that come on after dark and make it sort of useless. However, I always, except once, never drove at night.
I read a lot of bad things about wireless systems and went with the wired for no interrupted signal.

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
I like the system from Rear View Safety. It's two channel, offers a view of the fiver from the rear of the fiver and the rear of the truck, where I can keep an eye on the fiver tires. It's a wired system.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

pdmac1946
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tadibrothers wireless backup camera I put in the back window of my trailer because I didn't want to drill holes. Wired it to a light over the sink. It works great for monitoring traffic behind and backing up.. I did have to get long range antennas for it to be able to monitor it in my tow vehicle because of the length. Because my monitor has two inputs I just added a second wireless camera over the hitch receiver for hooking up. I really like my setup. Have about $350 invested.

fisher60
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the refurb Yada Wednesday and got it today. Will get it installed this weekend and report back.
'01 Dutchman Express 28A, Borg Chrome Dually Valve Stems, Pacific Dualies Wheel Simulators, '06 Tuscon, 2014 FLHTCUTG
Good Sam Life Member

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cheapie wireless backup camera that attaches to the license plate screws. I got it with my credit card points. If you had to buy it out right it would be about 30 bucks. If you want a good one you have to spend more money then that. Mine does work but, there is often too much interference and the picture can be hard to see at times too. It's better then nothing but, I suggest spending more money and getting a better one then I did.

Kinda funny though. Because it's wireless I sometimes pickup up the picture from other wireless security cameras as I drive down the road. At one of my local grocery stores I can set in my pickup outside the store and see who is inside before I ever enter the store. lol
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Dakota98 wrote:
This is where I have my camera located.

Well, that beats the snot out of the iball. I do see a wire going to the camera - what is it for / where does it go?

The wire goes to the wireless transmitter. The transmitter can be mounted behind the tail light assembly. The 12 volt power lead is connected also to the transmitter & can be connected to any 12 volt power source of your choosing at that location. I chose to run a longer length of cabling inside my frame rail & up through my rear sliding window & mounted the transmitter to the inside. The monitor plugs into your 12 volt outlet inside the cab.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
I do see a wire going to the camera - what is it for / where does it go?

The wire powers the camera. Camera and monitor, both need some kind of power. The wireless part is between the camera and monitor.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dakota98 wrote:

Well, that beats the snot out of the iball. I do see a wire going to the camera - what is it for / where does it go?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
Go on e-bay, you can buy a wireless 7" monitor with camera from china for $ 8 89.00 with free shipping. Takes about 3 weeks for delivery, but the price and quality is good.
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

hanzfranz60
Explorer
Explorer
http://bit.ly/11jabox

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
I purchased individual components (monitor, camera's, and cabling) on eBay, to make a multiuse wired system. The monitor clips on over my rearview mirror. I wired the truck so the monitor plugs into it's video / power connector, right behind the rearview mirror. To power the system, I spliced in a 12 volt plug to plug into an outlet on the dash.

The power / video cable ends by my tailgate, where I can plug in whichever camera, I want to use.

I mounted cameras on my travel trailer, truck camper, and on a piece of metal (with a magnet) that either hooks onto my license plate for hitching up a trailer, or, I can set it on the truck bed rail for loading the truck camper.

With TC loaded up, or, with TT hitched up, looking behind me, is simple as looking at my rearview mirror. The system helps with loading, hitching, and driving. When passing, or being passed, vehicles appearing in my side mirrors, may look like they are beside the trailer, but, if I can see their headlights on the monitor, I know they are behind it.

Many backup systems, recommend wiring into the backup lights on the tow vehicle. That only gives you video when backing up. Powering from the in-dash power outlet (or any full time hot system), the camera can be on, anytime the truck is running.

Links to similar components:

Monitor

Camera

Cable

Cables can be purchased in various lengths. I used one about 25' long to wire the truck, one about 50' long to wire the travel trailer, and one about 12' long for the truck camper. No extra cable was needed for the third camera.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a wireless Yada as well and it's great for backing up. But, as it is such wide angle the depth perception is way off and takes some getting used to when going down the road; vehicles that seem 1/2 a mile off could be only a few dozen feet away!

On Edit - I have mine mounted on the licence plate holder at the back of my fifth wheel, not used for hitching.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74