cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ordinance problems Springfield mass

HARLYGL94
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am having trouble with ordinance issues in Springfield mass they are now telling me I can't even park it in my backyard and I pay close to $4000 in taxes here in the city and I have a nice clean well-kept yard here what should I do now? Does anyone have any ideas where I can store this RV it's a 30 foot Winnebago.
They had agreed previously to let me park it there if I made my driveway wider which cost me a lot of money I did so now the neighbors complaining again so now they're asking me to remove it please help me if you can give me some idea what to do on this thank you ever so much!
69 REPLIES 69

HARLYGL94
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the great information!

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
The Escapees RV club also fight for RV parking rights. I believe you need to be a member. They have done a lot of great things for parking rights.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
We had a neighbor who didn't like our 5er in the driveway. 2 months
later they inherited a class c. parked it in the driveway. had lots
of fun with that:B
CanAmKid

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive around the block every three days.

HARLYGL94
Explorer
Explorer
jeepfreak wrote:
Don't put a cover on it and drive it to work once a month.

I was going to tell them it's not being stored it's been driven but you got to drive it every three days I can't be sitting for more than 72 hours

jeepfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Don't put a cover on it and drive it to work once a month.
2007 Allegro 34wa Workhorse 8.1, Allison 6-speed. Bow Tie powered 79 CJ-7 Toad or 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad

HARLYGL94
Explorer
Explorer
Well yes the neighbor does tell on the person but if you wanted all enforced throughout the city you have to go until on everyone. And I guess that's just a personal choice and make the city do all sorts of work because just driving out of my neighborhood I saw a big fifth wheel in somebody's yard and this thing is bigger than my 30 foot long RV i'm not going to say a thing about the person of course but they should enforce everyone if they're going to pick on one person

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
ol' yeller wrote:
A city I used to live in quietly passed a no RV storage at home ordinance. Mine was stored at a storage facility but the ordinance was written as you couldn't even bring it home to load it prior to a trip. I decided to drive around the city and take pictures of all the RVs I found stored at homes. I figured I could argue selective enforcement if I was ever cited. I also started with the home addresses of the city officials and I discovered that a council person had one stored in their driveway in violation of the ordinance.

I moved long before they enforced the ordinance so I never did have to use my evidence. YMMV
There is no such thing as selective enforcement. Just because everyone around you didn't get a speeding ticket doesn't mean you can't get one. If you are breaking the law you can be ticketed or whatever the remedy as prescribed is. Your choice to get hold your "neighbor" out as an "example" is just the same as your neighbor calling the cops on you. Two wrongs don't make a right.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
A city I used to live in quietly passed a no RV storage at home ordinance. Mine was stored at a storage facility but the ordinance was written as you couldn't even bring it home to load it prior to a trip. I decided to drive around the city and take pictures of all the RVs I found stored at homes. I figured I could argue selective enforcement if I was ever cited. I also started with the home addresses of the city officials and I discovered that a council person had one stored in their driveway in violation of the ordinance.

I moved long before they enforced the ordinance so I never did have to use my evidence. YMMV
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes if they say 30 it will measure 31 or 32 or in one state park I know of they say 24 but 40 fits.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

HARLYGL94
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
Think you're spinning your wheels trying to get the rules changed, but have at it. Might give Wilbraham Self Storage a call, it's on Boston Rd near Spectacle Pond.

That is pretty close to me but they only have size is that go up to 30 feet my rig is a 30 footer so I don't think that's going to cut it but thank you so much for the info unless you know that they have other larger spots but on the website it didn't say that

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Think you're spinning your wheels trying to get the rules changed, but have at it. Might give Wilbraham Self Storage a call, it's on Boston Rd near Spectacle Pond.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
TugCE wrote:
Where I live in Central Florida (Lake County) I found out that you can park a RV on YOUR Property only if it is behind the Front of the Main House.

The reason that I found this out was, we were having our entire house tiled. We have two pups and it was in the middle of Summer so we needed somewhere to keep the pups that was Air Conditioned. We had a 27' TT at the time so I brought it to the house from Storage.

Well, I was sitting in there with my Girls when there was a knock on the door. Enter Code Enforcement. The guy told me there was a complaint about my trailer being there. I all but lost it on the poor guy. When I asked him who complained I got the "we do not disclose that" line. So, I asked him when this complaint was made. Low and behold it was made BEFORE I had even moved the camper from storage. I told Mr. Code Enforcement to call the storage yard and would confirm when I pulled out.

He then started to complain about all of the TRASH on my front lawn. It took him a couple of minutes to get it through his head that I had workers working on my home and they were working (cutting Tile) out in the yard.

Long story short, I got him to admit that I could have the Trailer in my driveway for up to 3 days at a time for loading and unloading for trips plus cleaning. But if I wanted to keep it there it had to be either 75 feet from a public road or behind the line of the front of the house. He did not like it when I pointed out the we live on a Private Road!

Unfortunately, some people have way too much time on their hands and have nothing better to do than complain about B.S.

I do know which one of my Neighbors complained as I went door to door letting everyone why my camper was there and this certain Neighbor's wife would not even look me in the eye.

To the OP, I wish you luck and I hope you keep fighting it.

Typical power trip. Years ago we brought back several rocks from the fields on the farm. We put them on the driveway behind the house by the garage and were going to put them in our flower gardens. Had some code enforcement guy come up to our fence and tried to let me know I needed to pay taxes on my landscaping purchase. I let him know sure no problem what percent of $0 do I owe.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can well understand that many people prefer to live in gated communities where the HOA board dictates a whole lot of stuff with which we don't agree.
You gotta admit, some of those places are really nice-looking.
Whereas, I myself insist on having the freedom to park my motorhome in my own backyard, and do all maintenance and repairs on it. It's the only way I can afford to have a motorhome, and enjoy it the way I want.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat