cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bad Propane or?

good2eat
Explorer
Explorer
We're having trouble with our propane system. About 2 weeks ago our generator bogged down so I went out to take a look and it turns out it wasn't getting enough fuel (LP generator). I have an auxillary tank with it's own regulator that is plumbed into the system down stream of the dual tank regulator. I turned on the aux tank and all was well so I figured the dual tank regulator was bad. I have a new one and will be installing in tomorrow.

Since that time, in the last week we've had the propane burner for the water heater stop working and yesterday the generator would no longer start, now today the furnace is having a difficult time firing.

The first thing that comes to mind is bad propane, or maybe the regulator attached to the aux tank is now bad too (it's only about a month old).

Ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I have heard of regulator frosting up and causing problems if the conditions are just right.
I would say moisture could be freezing off the propane line. Remember when propane flashes from a liquid to a gas it is -45F. Any moisture will freeze.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard of regulator frosting up and causing problems if the conditions are just right.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I see you're in the Pacific NW. Could it be you got some rust going on inside your black iron propane lines?

I would pull the jet on the HWH and see it's condition. It's the easiest one to get to, and might help you rule out debris in the lines.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
You said there is an auxiliary tank with it's own regulator plumbed into the propane system. Is that "tank" a tank or a cylinder? If a cylinder, does it connect with a black or green acme nut like the other? Black (low flow) will only service one appliance. Green (medium flow) will service all your trailer appliances simultaneously. Is the regulator a double stage or single stage? Single stage might also effect flow.

If everything you have are cylinders why not just swap the aux cylinder with en empty one and see if things work as they should?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps a matter of semantics.

There are generators that tap liquid LP and then convert it to a gas/vapor with an in/on generator regulator.

These on-generator regulators (at least on the 6.5 KW Onans I am familiar with) can easily clog with the longer hydrocarbon "contaminants". I have overhauled them and it is not uncommon to find them half filled with a light viscosity grease-like substance.

The long-term solution (in addition to overhauling/replacing the regulator) is to switch from the liquid tap to HIGH PRESSURE vapor (i.e. before the house regulator). Only potential issue is icing at cold temperatures/small tank.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
I got some propane that had water in it. Furnace would not light. Had to get new propane and dry out lines to furnace
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Is this a class a B C with a generator that runs on LIQUID propane, has its own shut off valve and line to the tank?

Nothing runs on liquid propane.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The only problem I have seen with propane is when it has way too much oil in it and it clogs regulators and even drips out of some appliances.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two thoughts..... But I have a problem with both of them

First: Is this a class a B C with a generator that runs on LIQUID propane, has its own shut off valve and line to the tank? or does it run on high pressure vapor (only one outlet on tank but a "T" fitting sends propane to the Generator BEFORE the generator) Or Low Pressure propane (Post Regulator)

Generators suck a LOT of propane. I suspect many regulators can not pass the gas fast enough .. Nothing wrong with the regulator, working as designed, Just not big enough.

Second.. Not all propane is actually propane,, but the difference usually only shows when water gets hard (Turns to ICE hard) if water is still liquid, that's not the problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
sometimes we get something like a vapor lock if we turn on our PROPANE too fast. We let it burn the stove top for a few minutes and all seems ok after that???

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
There is no shelf life for propane. It will last indefinitely.. With that said look elsewhere..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh