cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BART help.... thanks.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We're staying in Manteca CA. at the Thousand Trailers Park. Tomorrow we plan to drive to the BART station in Dublin/Pleasnton, and plan on getting off at the Embarcadero and doing tourist things for the day in San Francisco.

So, to say we're unaccustomed to this type adventure would be an understatement. But we've wanted to do this for a long time so we're going to go for it.

I have many questions. I Pleasanton and Dublin two different stations?

Is there parking on the north side AND the southside of the freeway?

I've read that parking is very limited, but is there also Pay to Park lots in the area?

Is the Embarcadero the best exit point for Fishermans Wharf? Alcatraz tours, etc.

Are there tours and/or tour buses that you would suggest?

I can't access Tripadvisor from this location, so any other suggestions for two Rubes in the Big City would be greatly appreciated.

Any other BART suggestions or advisories would also be appreciated.

If you're near the Dublin BART station and you see an old guy with a camouflage hat on wandering in circles, stop and say "hello"... ๐Ÿ™‚
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.
14 REPLIES 14

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Jman for the crab info.

I wonder what the architect was thinking when they decided that one toilet for each gender was sufficient.

I guess maybe the water shortage is more severe that I thought....
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

J-mans_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Be glad the one -holers were unlocked an accessible. For a while all the rest rooms were locked down by Homeland Security as a potential place a terrorist could plant a bomb.

If you're back in the City - make sure to get the fresh Dungeness crab at Fisherman's Wharf. the season just started and they can't get them off the boats fast enough.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
CarlGeo wrote:
Caveman Charlie wrote:
Hi, what does BART stand for? Thanks. I have no idea of what you are all talking about.

Bay Area Rapit Transit

Thank you.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
Hi, what does BART stand for? Thanks. I have no idea of what you are all talking about.

Bay Area Rapit Transit

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your lucky there was nobody sleeping in the bathroom...Glad you had a good time.. You use to be able to book your Alcatraz tour right there at Pier 36 in Fishermans Warf... It books up in the summer time but I can't say this time of year..
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for you help and input. We had a great day, with no issues.

BART parking was very scarce. We ended up parking in the reserved area a little early, but there were no other parking spots.

The parking spots are designed for little cars, not 3/4 ton trucks. Many of the spaces would have been impossible to get into.

Here's the biggest surprise. It was an hour drive from Manteca to the the Dublin BART station, and it was a 45 minute ride on BART to the Embaradero BART station. So we go to visit the restroom. It's a one holer for men, and and one holer for women. This is in a public building that a couple of thousand people will travel through each day, and they put in a restrooms that accommodate one person at a time. Really? That's crazy.

The BART ride was smooth and uneventful, it was nice to let someone else do the driving.

Had a great time in SF, took the bus tour, and we plan on going back to do the Alcatraz tour. Does anyone have a recommendation on a tour boat to use to get out to the island?

Thanks again for your help.... ๐Ÿ™‚

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have spent a fair amount of time in the bay area for work over the 30 years. The bay area is a great area to visit. yes as always you need to keep an eye open for crooks, but I have never had an issue and been all over San Francisco on foot.
Bart is nice to get around, but not too cheap, I have used it from SFO into downtown cost is $8.65.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just skip bart altogether and just drive into the City. There is paid parking at pier 36. Driving time without traffic us just over an hour and 20 minutes. You will spend alot more time at the at Bart and Bus stations.

You can see just about everything from there. The bad side of being a tourist in this area is pick pockets. Keep your wallet where you can feel it. I tried to warn a friend of mine who went last year and his wallet was taken while on the cable car... He did not even feel it... Don't let it scare you off just be wary....

If you don't have one already get a cheap Garmin GPS from Costco $99. They are great for getting around in places you don't know... Easy to use and have a attraction feature for landmarks and things to see...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd suggest driving to Vallejo and taking the ferry into the city. You'll be right down at the wharf. Easy parking too.

Oh, and don't forget; if you are 65 or older, ask for the senior discounts. The ferry is $6.50 and F line will be only a buck I think!!

Here is the link to the ferry;

http://sanfranciscobayferry.com/route/vallejo/sffb

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
When you take the Alcatraz tour (it's self-guided) - take along some kind of easily erasable marker (from DW's make-up?).

Have a family member snap a pic of you (or?) in Big Al's cell, with your head turned to show the (phony) scar - you put on your cheek.

Then you can tell your friends and relatives, while you were posing for the pic.......the cell got really cold - and it suddenly appeared!!

:B

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been to "The City" in over 30 years. This thread is making me want to plan a trip.

kevinbti
Explorer
Explorer
to the Embarcadero Station, then transfer to F-Line Street Car head for Fisherman's Wharf Don't miss this place 900 North Point
Ghirardelli Square San Francisco, CA 94109 Arinell Pizza is great for a slice
I used Siler Lion Tours which gave us a private tour of the city bit expense but it gave us an overview of the city Next day we knew where wanted to go
enjoy great place I felt safe walking around at night If you can do the Alcatraz tour is interesting

Browzin
Explorer
Explorer
{ I have many questions. I Pleasanton and Dublin two different stations?
NO There is actually 2 different stations, (1) is Dublin/ Pleasanton, the other is West Dublin/Pleasanton.
Is there parking on the north side AND the southside of the freeway? Yes at the West Dublin/Pleasanton station. The Dublin/Pleasanton only has Parking on the North side of 580.

I've read that parking is very limited, but is there also Pay to Park lots in the area? NO parking in the area is limited Monday-Friday

Is the Embarcadero the best exit point for Fishermans Wharf? Alcatraz tours, etc. Yes When you exit, go to street level and catch the "F" line, street cars, there the old antique ones from the 1930's, really a experience riding the old restored street cars.

Are there tours and/or tour buses that you would suggest? Alcatraz Island will take the majority of your day.

I can't access Tripadvisor from this location, so any other suggestions for two Rubes in the Big City would be greatly appreciated. Go to " SFMTA.com " you will get all the about town info you need.

Any other BART suggestions or advisories would also be appreciated. Go to " BART.gov " and it will answer all your questions concerning Bart }