Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bend OR and smoke

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for first hand info about the smoke in or around Bend OR
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel
14 REPLIES 14

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I give up on guessing what it is going to me like the days Im was going to be there. Rerouted to the coast. Next year going to where there are no trees. It is almost impossible to set a corn field on fire
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Varies by the day..just spent a few up there for the eclipse and luckily on eclipse day it was clear! I'd go, even with some smoke, the area is worth visiting! As a side note, if you are a Moose Club member, the Bend lodge has ample dry camping spaces..they just never got around to adding that to their web page. No hookups but they do have water for tank refilling.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
i just returned home yesterday. returned from madras oregon. was not bad up that way but was visable and very heavy to the south.
but at one point just north of bend, it was not possable to see two miles.

till after the fires have been out. wait at least a week if you want "clear" skys.

i canceled going to crater lake. as was told could not see it from some view points.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Smoke is a fact of life in the intermountain west every summer.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Clear this morning (La Pine State Park area). But that will change.

A SW wind gives us smoke from the Chetco Bar Fire. A NW wind gives us smoke from the Milli Fire.

Bad enough that the news is suggesting an N95 particulate mask in Sisters and Bend for those that have respiratory issues.

At night you can definitely smell the smoke and feel it in your throat. Morning usually has it laying close to the ground like fog. Afternoon is kinda hazy.

But at least the traffic from the Eclipse craziness is over!
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

patbac
Explorer
Explorer
Go to TripCheck and look at various cameras on major roads you're considering. They don't all have a good view of the sky, but you can get some idea of the amount of haze. Sisters looks especially smokey this morning, Bend - not so much...

https://www.tripcheck.com

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I was there on Tues and there was a LOT of smoke in the area. In some areas there was less than 250' visibility.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We were planning to be at Camp Sherman starting today but cancelled it due to the Milli fire and smoke in the area.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Y-Guy
After some ugly smoke issues this summer I've added a couple of sites to my list of book marks that show the air quality, specifically the PM2.5 - which is smoke.

EPA's Air Now website for Bend
State of Oregon DEQ Air Quality Map

Check out the 24 hour PM2.5 24 Hour Chart for Bend, you can see how it's improved a lot in 24 hours.

Plus you can get good info from here, Oregon Smoke Blog

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Bend. It was less smoky yesterday than in previous days but the smoke is still here. You can't see the mountains.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Pacific Northwest Smoke Map

I have that but it's not first hand info

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
There is a smoke adversory. But talked to a ranger friend and he says it was clearing this afternoon. But with the fires it could be bad again by morning

So it varies by day and or night

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Pacific Northwest Smoke Map
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a smoke adversory. But talked to a ranger friend and he says it was clearing this afternoon. But with the fires it could be bad again by morning