cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart discontinued RandMcNally Atlas w/store locations?

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
Has Walmart discontinued Rand McNally Atlas w/store locations?
We always buy a couple of these, just in case, but I haven't seen a 2018 version with the store locations (published as an add on in the front and back of normal R M atlas).
RVing since '74..
20 REPLIES 20

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love my old RM atlas that I found in a Wang Mart bargain bin about 14 years ago for about $2. Figured I could use it for something. We refer to it all the time! This one does not have any Wang Mart locations marked on it like the other member mentioned; must be too old. Covers are falling off but we keep taping them back on.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
TripleE wrote:
f you are an FMCA member you can order their atlas. I really like it as it has Walmarts, Sams Club, Cracker Barrel, Flying J, Pilot, and Love's indicated. It also indicates campgrounds.

Going to the POI Factory web page -> we're able to download databases for our Garmin navigator that include the nationwide locations for Walmart, Sams Club, Cracker Barrel, Flying J, Pilot, Loves, Rite-Aid, veterinary hospitals, emergency care facilities, hospitals, all kinds of campsites, lakes, propane suppliers, museums, wildlife preserves, restaurants, dump stations, Walgreens, rest areas, grocery stores, Camping Worlds, etc..

None of the above requires cell tower access and nicely compliments hard copy atlases for RV travels all over the U.S. and Canada.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
If you are an FMCA member you can order their atlas. I really like it as it has Walmarts, Sams Club, Cracker Barrel, Flying J, Pilot, and Love's indicated. It also indicates campgrounds.

We use a GPS when we travel but it doesn't always go the way I want to go. There is no "go around the big city" setting. Using fastest or shortest will generally take you right through town so I use the atlas to figure the route I want. The GPS eventually catches up with us
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atlee wrote:
I would never only rely on my phone for vital info. It's pretty good in the east, but out in the west there are too many dead spots. And even in the east, if you're in the Appalachian Mountains, there can be dead spots.

I agree 1000% !!!

Plus - and I'm really in the minority on this - what happens when the "big Murphy's Law" hits, and that is ... if I'm ever out on the open road in our RV when the Internet in all of, or part of, the U.S. goes down? Best case - only the cell tower based channel of the Internet goes down, worst case - both the cell tower based and satellite based channels of the Internet go down.

Chaos like we've never experienced in this country ... and if this happens I hope my RV tanks that should be full are full, my RV tanks that should be empty are empty, ... and that I don't need the Internet to find our way to some place insulated from the mess until they get the Internet back up. :E

Be very wise in what you're relying on and what you're not relying on.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
You would have to pry paper maps from my navigator's cold dead hand.
I use my Garmin a lot when driving, but my navigator (wife) is always double checking with the Atlas and/or state road maps.

I'm 10 younger than you, and my wife is younger than I am.

I would never only rely on my phone for vital info. It's pretty good in the east, but out in the west there are too many dead spots. And even in the east, if you're in the Appalachian Mountains, there can be dead spots.

5thwheeleroldman wrote:
79 years old and the grandkids talked me into smartphones --- confusing, then wonderful! I threw away all my old atlas and paper maps. Also the yellow pages. It's hard, but necessary to keep up w/ technology.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only atlases we use are a set of Benchmark atlases - one whole atlas for each state - so detail is incredible.

We do not like to assume that access to the cellular system will be available when we travel - and many times it isn't. So along with the hardcopy Benchmark atlases, we use a satellite based Garmin navigator unit to help guide us around. We load up huge and updated databases (700K to 800K locations) in the Garmin unit before each RV trip - including all Walmart store locations, plus a whole lot more. The updated master map stored in our Garmin navigator includes the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
As to my original post, walmart still does the walmart atlas, i.e., the one with a list, with locations, of all walmarts. I finally found them at my Walmart neighborhood market.
RVing since '74..

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Must be time for a new one. It has been at least 5 years. Still using an old MS S&Ts. Much better than any paper map & no need to be connected. If only there was a new version of that.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
5thwheeleroldman wrote:
79 years old and the grandkids talked me into smartphones --- confusing, then wonderful! I threw away all my old atlas and paper maps. Also the yellow pages. It's hard, but necessary to keep up w/ technology.

You can do that if you want, but I never will.

I am a watermen, and much of my life I had a nametag that said "Navigator". We now travel with a GPS for the driver, a smartphone running as internet link and a laptop running the last and final copy of Street Atlas. But, on the library shelf behind the driver are a set of guide books and they are all on top of a McNally Street Atlas.

Why?
Because when things go wrong (and they will - Murphy was an optimist) the paper still does and always will work.

We make very good use of the technology, but I will never trust it. I am not that much behind you in years, but there are some hard won lessons dealt by lightning and other things that I am not about to forget.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
5thwheeleroldman wrote:

Well "Old Man":), I'm 77 but still use my maps except for my GPS. What ya gonna do when the EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) hits and your Electronics are useless? My BAD, your vehicle and mine will not run either unless we have an real old vehicle.
PS, just messin' with ya.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjjandrbaker wrote:
5thwheeleroldman wrote:

Kudos to you! We all should embrace new technologies. It can be daunting, but running away from it is useless. The best source for technology training is an encouraging and patient child or grandchild.

My smartphone works only intermittently out here. (That's what happens when you live in the middle of nowhere )

Paper maps are getting hard to find. I usually go online and use something like MapQuest to find where I want to go. Then I print out the directions.

The internet crashes a lot around here too so MapQuest is intermittent

It's getting harder and harder with each passing year to find my way to places.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
5thwheeleroldman wrote:

Kudos to you! We all should embrace new technologies. It can be daunting, but running away from it is useless. The best source for technology training is an encouraging and patient child or grandchild.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Allstays app for a smart phones will show wallmarts that welcome campers and those that don't. Also many others as well like Cabellas, Cracker Barrell, Pilot J, etc
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer