cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best or favorite dingy towed vehicle?

glenmoorent
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to buy a dingy towed vehile. Can anyone give me recommendations of their favorite vehicle to tow? Not a full sized vehicle like a pickup but smaller.
34 REPLIES 34

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
"Best" is a matter of preference, as seen here. Most wouldn't pick an Aerostar, but it was one OP's "Best."
"Favorite" is what I'll call "Popular" and it seems to be a tie between Wrangler and CR-V. Go by the numbers and that's what they are. Now that Honda put themselves out of the game with there CVT non-transmission, that's going to change toward the Equinoxes of the world, various Fords, etc. Jeep will probably hold onto its niche lead. At least till FCA cheapens them to where there's not a Neutral anymore, like many pickups. Wrangler is also a fuel economy target because its size puts a heavy inefficient specialty vehicle in a class with little econoboxes.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned pre-2015 Honda CRV's.:h
I have seen LOTS of them being towed.

We tow a 2009 CRV with a Ready Brute set up and it works fine. There is a simple, factory recommended tranny routine and ours is set up with a battery cut out. If your brake system requires power (ours does not), you might need a power line.

It's also a nice daily driver.

Norm
F1BNorm

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had 3 I liked. 2 VW Cabriolets and a 05 Ford Sport track.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
we tow a 13 Hyundai Elantra. Very well equipped (everything but elec seats), less than 3000lbs, good wide stance and wheelbase to keep stable. Downside if looking for automatic is that only the manual trans (6sp) is towable. Gets up to 40 mpg at 80mph on flat roads about 38 avg in mixed driving.

wife liked the one we rented when we went to pick up the rv, roomy quiet etc so thats why we got it. Plus most of used vehicles were not in very good condition and would require additional $$ to set up. New and no issues, 10 year warranty, free oil changes etc from hyundai (dealer?) but it works well 150 HP direct injection engine 4 cyl. take a look at one. Did have to hook up charge line for battery but all generally do also.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are on our third Jeep. They are just dumb stupid easy to hitch and unhitch. Easy baseplate install. Small and nimble for urban driving and parking. Reasonably comfortable and acceptable mpg. Reliable. And our Rubicon will take us places most people can't or don't go without any modifications. The negative for some might be the higher ground clearance if you have physical issues. New ones are not cheap, but they do hold their value. Lots of good used ones around. If you are lucky, you might score one already set up for towing as we did on our first Jeep. Stay away from the two door models unless you have people you dislike and want to torture in the back seat.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite was my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
However, our PT Cruiser convertible on a dolly worked great, too.
So did the Dodge Ram 1500 4X4.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned pre-2015 Honda CRV's.:h
I have seen LOTS of them being towed.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my first toad was a chevy s 10 with drive shaft disconnect. that sucked.
my next was a tracker and that was great. had to have manual front hubs to tow.
I then towed a dakota PU which was fine but heavy.
set up my 2005 VUE to tow but never did.
bumpy

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We have towed a Mazda GLC, a Dodge Colt, 2 different Aerostars, a Tracker, a Ford Sportrac, and now a Ford Flex. The Flex is probably the easiest we have every towed. . . neutral, turn the key all the way back and you are good to go. My favorite? The Aerostars. We had them rigged up with driveshaft disconnects (Remco). I loved having the van when we got to our destination. When our daughter was in college, we removed all but the front seats and used it like a trailer to haul her stuff halfway across the U.S. to her college.

Always research the model you are considering. Not ALL Jeeps are towable. The year and the model make a difference. Not all Sportracs were towable either. The salesmen DON'T KNOW!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
2010 kia soul.Easy hookup no fuse to pull.Great on gas and light in tow weight.
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
I have only towed two different vehicles, both were Jeep Wranglers. They were fun to take off-road, did great in town and ok on the highway. Plus my wife loves her Jeep... or the comments from all of the guys that say "cool Jeep" ๐Ÿ™‚ JH

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy Equinox V6 or Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition base model

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Fiesta 1.0 turbo. Nimble, torquey, nothing special required to tow besides putting it in neutral.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a VW Jetta 5sp for 10 yrs.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Chad_Heiser
Explorer
Explorer
I really like my Jeep Wrangler. It is easy to tow and it is fun to drive.