cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route I 40 or I 70

pappaone
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Colorado South of I 70 and North of I 40, plan on heading to Parris Island,SC which is near Beaufort,SC for granddaughters graduation from USMC boot camp. Looking at MapQuest it shows both routes are about same distance from the house.. Was wondering which route majority would suggest and why. Thank you

Rich
Rich & Jennie(mate of 59 yrs 6/6/59)
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat
1 German Shepard/Blue healer pup
20 REPLIES 20

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
filthy beast wrote:
Infrastructure has been suffering for a long time, not just the past 7 years. No one wants higher taxes to pay for upkeep to roads and bridges but we all like to complain about them.

Besides, I don't think the op asked for political opinions just road conditions.

Nevertheless there it is. If more people get outraged about the state of our infrastructure, maybe something will get done about it.

Or you could just look the other way.

And I said nothing about the past seven years.

it is too bad that somebody couldn't have come up with some type of stimulus program to fix the roads.
bumpy

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
filthy beast wrote:
Infrastructure has been suffering for a long time, not just the past 7 years. No one wants higher taxes to pay for upkeep to roads and bridges but we all like to complain about them.

Besides, I don't think the op asked for political opinions just road conditions.

Nevertheless there it is. If more people get outraged about the state of our infrastructure, maybe something will get done about it.

Or you could just look the other way.

And I said nothing about the past seven years.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Unless the interstate has had recent work, they all suck. My daughter hates I-70 through Missouri. I did pieces of I-40 through OK and AR and they seemed fine. My neighbor who drove I-40 from Memphis to Las Vegas said that AR was the worse.

Basically, the federal government has abandoned its responsibility WRT to the interstate system created by a forward thinking President in exchange for handing stuff out to people who add nothing to society.

Hey, we voted them in.

Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
I spose it really depends how far south in colorado you live. If I were driving from anywhere south of Colorado springs id cut down and take 87 to hook up to I40 at or around amarillo.

I-40 has its messes, but overall its a decent enough road to take across country. Arkansas and Oklahoma used to be really bad but over the past few years they have repaved quite a bit of it. Its not as slappity slap slap bumpy as it used to be lol. I've taken I40 across the country many times and every time it seems to get a little bit better

Cant say much about I70. only been on it once
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
kickstart wrote:
I 70 from Terre Haute to Indy road construction with a new bridge going in at T.H. take 465 south to get around Indy

Huh?

A new bridge going in at Terre Haute means you should take 465 around Indy? Why? They are 80 miles from each other.

I just came through there today and the construction for the new bridge in Terre Haute had I-70 down to one lane, but it was flowing fine (on a Sunday, though).

Anyway, what does that have to do with Indy?

If I am heading west to east across Indiana, I would stay on I-70 and go through downtown Indy, rather than take 465.

traffic thru the area on I-70 where the new bridge is being constructed is a bit slow but it's a relatively short stretch. on the other hand i would definitely recommend not going thru Indy on I-70. the road is extremely rough. I-465 is an excellent recommendation as it can't possibly be any worse than I-70. the bypass will add a few minutes to the trip but it is well worth it.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
kickstart wrote:
I 70 from Terre Haute to Indy road construction with a new bridge going in at T.H. take 465 south to get around Indy

Huh?

A new bridge going in at Terre Haute means you should take 465 around Indy? Why? They are 80 miles from each other.

I just came through there today and the construction for the new bridge in Terre Haute had I-70 down to one lane, but it was flowing fine (on a Sunday, though).

Anyway, what does that have to do with Indy?

If I am heading west to east across Indiana, I would stay on I-70 and go through downtown Indy, rather than take 465.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I've done both, and I would take I-70, although it's a more "boring" drive.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
From a retired trucker I 40

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
pappaone wrote:
I live in Colorado South of I 70 and North of I 40, plan on heading to Parris Island,SC which is near Beaufort,SC for granddaughters graduation from USMC boot camp. Looking at MapQuest it shows both routes are about same distance from the house.. Was wondering which route majority would suggest and why. Thank you

Rich

we took I-40 from OK City to Flagstaff this past spring and I-40 from Kingman, AZ back to OK City on our way home in mid May. Overall the road was very good but there were occasional rough patches...like any interstate. but I-70 between St. Louis and the Ohio line, especially from Effingham east to the Ohio line was horrible. going thru Indianapolis I though the MH was gonna shake itself apart.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

kickstart
Explorer
Explorer
Randy and Pam
Misty, Sinbad,and Delilah (the cat kids)
Maggie,(a rough coat collie rescue)
1998 Damon Intruder (fun but no frills)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:

A friend of mine had advised me to get off on I-64 and take that down to I-270, rather than going further east on I-70 to grab I-270. This made sense to me, since I was going south on I-55.

Probably 6 of one/half dozen of the other. I have not taken I-70 to I-270 to head south, so I don't have a point of reference as to whether either route saves time. I do know that going the I-64 route to I-270 seemed be a relatively easy drive.

Gotcha, but there is really no good way to get from St. Louis to SC.
bumpy

pappaone
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the great route info, I especially like the way to get around St Louis, been through there once and did not care for it.
Rich & Jennie(mate of 59 yrs 6/6/59)
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat
1 German Shepard/Blue healer pup

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Thom02099 wrote:

I-70 to St Louis (I would actually take I-64 to I-270 to bypass St Louis), I-55 south to I-155 to US 412 to I-40 to I-26. Why? To completely avoid Arkansas and in particular going through Memphis

I don't understand the I-64 reference. IIRC, 70 meets up with 270, no need for 64??? but I would suggest MO 370 around St. Charles instead. state 370, NOT an IS.

incidentally if St. Charles is a good place in your schedule to stay overnight, sundemeier's RV park is right near 370 and I used to stay there whenever I was in town.

bumpy

A friend of mine had advised me to get off on I-64 and take that down to I-270, rather than going further east on I-70 to grab I-270. This made sense to me, since I was going south on I-55.

Probably 6 of one/half dozen of the other. I have not taken I-70 to I-270 to head south, so I don't have a point of reference as to whether either route saves time. I do know that going the I-64 route to I-270 seemed be a relatively easy drive.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:

I-70 to St Louis (I would actually take I-64 to I-270 to bypass St Louis), I-55 south to I-155 to US 412 to I-40 to I-26. Why? To completely avoid Arkansas and in particular going through Memphis

I don't understand the I-64 reference. IIRC, 70 meets up with 270, no need for 64??? but I would suggest MO 370 around St. Charles instead. state 370, NOT an IS.

incidentally if St. Charles is a good place in your schedule to stay overnight, sundemeier's RV park is right near 370 and I used to stay there whenever I was in town.

bumpy