cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route I 40 or I 70

pappaone
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Colorado South of I 70 and North of I 40, plan on heading to Parris Island,SC which is near Beaufort,SC for granddaughters graduation from USMC boot camp. Looking at MapQuest it shows both routes are about same distance from the house.. Was wondering which route majority would suggest and why. Thank you

Rich
Rich & Jennie(mate of 59 yrs 6/6/59)
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat
1 German Shepard/Blue healer pup
20 REPLIES 20

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We drove 40 from AZ to VA and did not run into any problems. All the highways have rough spots and construction along the way. We always travel between 9 and 3 for least traffic.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I've not done the drive completely from point-to-point that you're asking about, I've done a goodly part of it. I would do a combo of both. And of course, there are alternatives to the interstates,as well as alternative interstates, but since you asked specifically, I figured I'd answer specifically.

I-70 to St Louis (I would actually take I-64 to I-270 to bypass St Louis), I-55 south to I-155 to US 412 to I-40 to I-26. Why? To completely avoid Arkansas and in particular going through Memphis. I've done that drive many times from Little Rock to Memphis, and Memphis has always been frustrating, regardless of the time of day.

I've done the drive to Greenville SC and it's not a bad drive, as interstates go. There's some alternatives to use to bypass some of the bigger cities (KC, Nashville, Knoxville). My guess is, this is not a sightseeing drive, you want to get there rather quickly. This would do it.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

pappaone
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for the replies, I know I 40 west from Albuquerque is loaded with semi trucks and really rough in spots. Not sure how I 40 is East

rich
Rich & Jennie(mate of 59 yrs 6/6/59)
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat
1 German Shepard/Blue healer pup

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I like 70 better.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless the interstate has had recent work, they all suck. My daughter hates I-70 through Missouri. I did pieces of I-40 through OK and AR and they seemed fine. My neighbor who drove I-40 from Memphis to Las Vegas said that AR was the worse.

Basically, the federal government has abandoned its responsibility WRT to the interstate system created by a forward thinking President in exchange for handing stuff out to people who add nothing to society.

Hey, we voted them in.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I try to avoid 40 as it's very rough in many place so I use 70 from THE river west... No recent info on 40.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...