cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best time and places to shop?

TNrob
Explorer
Explorer
Best prices maybe at end of season for clearance, and at the big shows in January?

Best selection during spring? Best time for used?

AND obviously any time and all of the time if you're prepared to buy on a moments notice when you find exactly what you want?

What are some pointers for finding great deals and great choices in 5th wheels and other RVs?
12 REPLIES 12

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My best time to buy is December/January. Factory order the unit the way you want it. Dealers are willing to make bottom line a sale just for the cash flow.
You will have the dealer's full attention.
Put your offer out to dealers and let them compete.
Be sure you have done your homework prior and know exactly what you want.
You are just using the dealer as a means to place order for the unit built to your exact specs.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Look in an area that a lot of retirees frequent. The RVs will be in better condition as they won't get a lot of hard family use.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be wary if looking at blow-out pricing on new units that are current or the previous years's model. You may buy a brand spanking new RV, but if you happen to want to or need to sell it a year or two later, the value is based on it's year and it's suddenly worth a lot less than you expected. Also, some manufacturers bring the upcoming year's new models onto the market early in the year like around now rather than the fall.

For example, you might find a brand new leftover 2015 model (at a great price) and then decide to sell it this time in 2017. Even though you may have barely used it, it's a 2 year old RV and 2018s will already be on the market and it's value could plummet. You might try looking at Blue Book values to get an idea and negotiate accordingly.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
TNrob wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Just a thought...
if you are buying new and purchase in the Fall, you will burn through a good portion of you warranty time if you store it until Spring before you use it very much.

That's a very good point that I would never have thought of.

I always chuckle when I hear this.

Think about it, if there is a 12 month warranty you will lose the same number of worthless winter months no matter when you buy it. Now if there is only a 3 or 6 month warranty I would then pay attention to when you buy.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Being a fellow southerner, I like the idea of buying in the Fall and working out the issues before the busy season.

1. It doesn't interrupt your summer RV plans.
2. The dealer shouldn't be too busy to fix your issues.
3. It gives you a great excuse to go camping during the off-season. Myrtle Beach during the winter is still fun. Just take plenty of LP gas.

We're headed to Disneyworld the middle of December. A great time to be there camping.

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you are in East Tennessee and if so then I would check out RV's for Less in Knoxville. You will not over pay for any of their units and they only sell quality used and new units so you may be limited in choice but if you get one from them they will make sure you are satisfied and everything works before you take it from the lot. I drove 10 hours to buy from them and others drive days to get units there.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Few people pay less than the high volume so-called wholesale RV dealers. You are close enough to Holman and RVWholsalers to get quotes and compare with your local dealers. Prices do not vary much through the year. There are additional discounts towards the end of a model year, but MSRPs rise throughout the model year too.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you can negate the warranty issues if you can negotiate storage & warranty until spring.

Just clarify damage issues while in storage.

TNrob
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Just a thought...
if you are buying new and purchase in the Fall, you will burn through a good portion of you warranty time if you store it until Spring before you use it very much.

That's a very good point that I would never have thought of.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are buying an RV with resale value as a top priority,maybe you shouldn't be buying an RV.
I personally think that a show sale may result in the best deal. There are incentives available that may not be there later. In most case you will be talking hundreds not thousands of dollars anyway.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd start looking around starting September, especially come fall and when RV dealers are under the gun to get rid of units before nobody can buy them due to snow, and they want them off the lot.

Downside is that it will be last year's model, and this will impact resale value.