Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
23 REPLIES 23

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Hopefully they can pull the states into this. I'm at Geneva SP in Ohio on a 30 amp site. There are 14 brand new 50 amp full hookup sites around the corner - empty and marked as unavailable on the website.
Yup - those sites are pretty much always reserved and unavailable - except when school is in session. That's sad to hear there's no one in them. ๐Ÿ˜ž

That's exactly what I don't like about Reserve America and what I would like to see change. Figure out a way to keep folks from scamming the system - possible?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
MetalGator wrote:
I've not had issues with booking with Reserve America, but I have often wondered why there is always so many open sites sometimes when Reserve America says there aren't sites available. I know there are cancellations but one time recently we were at a local state park that has two 30 site loops. I had booked way in advance but the morning of our checkin date, I checked Reserve America and it said all sites were booked. I know they hold some sites for a first come basis but when we arrived the campground was only about 65-70% full. I have seen this on multiple occasions.

Burch

Possibly if you were checking on the morning of your arrival the sites were shown as unavailable because it was not far enough in advance to make the reservation online via ReserveAmerica. New York, for instance, won't allow a same-day reservation to be made online, I assume because they need to transfer the reservation information each day from ReserveAmerica's computers to their computers (and then they wouldn't get updated properly at the park for online reservations after that) or something equally mundane.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've not had issues with booking with Reserve America, but I have often wondered why there is always so many open sites sometimes when Reserve America says there aren't sites available. I know there are cancellations but one time recently we were at a local state park that has two 30 site loops. I had booked way in advance but the morning of our checkin date, I checked Reserve America and it said all sites were booked. I know they hold some sites for a first come basis but when we arrived the campground was only about 65-70% full. I have seen this on multiple occasions.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would love to see a shakeup with RA.

There are problems that need addressed.

Cancellation, reservation and change fees are $17 now.
Thatโ€™s ridiculous. ESP considering cancelling at a park that has a high occupancy rate and that site WILL be re-rented.

Weekend and weekly reservations are equally weighted so sites get reserved 11 now out for a weekend. You try to rent for a week or two and you canโ€™t because weekends are gone. Parks sit half empty all week. As a tax payer I want to see occupancy increased. The weekends will alway fill up at the last minute. Let weekly campers have a wider window and/or leave more sites for walk ups.
Something needs fixed.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Article doesn't address the biggest problem, booking multiple sites and locations when reservations first open and then picking one at the last minute. Unless that is solved, what is actually changing, except maybe it will be even easier for those types to tie up even more sites for their future culling?

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
We've always used Reserve America and always had great success. No issues whatsoever.

So what now? What booking sites do you guys use? I mean, I can hit each park's site, I guess, but loved the convenience of checking multiple parks at once.

EDIT: Looks like South Carolina is no longer an option...

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Good.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully they can pull the states into this. I'm at Geneva SP in Ohio on a 30 amp site. There are 14 brand new 50 amp full hookup sites around the corner - empty and marked as unavailable on the website.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Privatization has its limits. Reserve America needs a close examination of its operations. My question is can USFS, NPS etc. do that exam competently?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad