cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you buy a RV without local dealer support?

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
There’s a few Holiday Rambler class A’s that I really like. Problem is I am from New England and I believe the closest dealer is in NJ. Maybe even further. I have no problem traveling to buy what I want. My concern is warranted work and other issues.

Would you buy a RV without local dealer support?

Edit: Those from the New England area am I wrong? Is there a Holiday Rambler dealer in our region?
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com
35 REPLIES 35

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm saving up to buy an Alaskan truck camper. Alaskan doesn't HAVE dealers, you buy direct from the factory. I'm going to have to drive out to the factory in WA to pick my new camper up, once I buy it. Then I plan to hang around for a week or so to see if there are any problems I need the factory to fix before I drive home. Oh, did I mention that I'm in upstate NY? 🙂

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
Short answer- YES

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
My only "dealer" support is the factory in BC, and I'm in MA. For us if the need were to arise the manufacturer will have you use someone local and either reimburse you or pay them direct. Luckily in the 4 years I've had the trailer I've had no need, although I know of a few others that have and had no issue.

I don't know that I would have bought this way had I not been willing to do things for myself.

Did have a couple Dometic issues that Dometic pays any certified repair facility to work on.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you buying new or used?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
John & Christine wrote:
Thanks again all for the responses.

I’m certainly capable of doing most any work on an RV but feel that if I fork over a bunch of cash I shouldn’t have to do that.

My time is valuable to me. In an emergency or something quite minor I have no issue but other than that I want the dealer to fix it.

Also I have been quite fortunate with my dealers. They have been great. However that’s no accident. I research the dealers I work with and only go with reputable business’s. It’s worked out so far.

You shouldn't have to, but you may find that it's less time consuming.

RV dealers are not like car dealers. There is no squad of factory-trained technicians waiting to service your vehicle, with the support resources of a global manufacturer behind them. Except for minor issues, warranty work must be approved by the factory on a case by case basis, before a single wrench gets turned. Problems with accessories like the fridge, WH, etc. are handed off to suppliers.

Even in the best case scenario, where you find a great dealer with well trained techs and competent customer service, that dealer will be swamped with work from early spring thru the fall. If you didn't buy your rig from them, you'll almost always find yourself at the back of a very long line.

Good luck.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again all for the responses.

I’m certainly capable of doing most any work on an RV but feel that if I fork over a bunch of cash I shouldn’t have to do that. My time is valuable to me. In an emergency or something quite minor I have no issue but other than that I want the dealer to fix it.

Also I have been quite fortunate with my dealers. They have been great. However that’s no accident. I research the dealers I work with and only go with reputable business’s. It’s worked out so far.
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
YMMV - I did it without really thinking through the implications. I was buying from a consignment lot as they were getting started with RV mfg authorizations to carry new.

For the first 4 years I was mostly dependent on the independent RV tech that did my PDI for the purchase. He's great and was able to get some mfg support when we ran into a unique issue.

Since then he's been harder and harder to book, as he gets a lot of high-end Class A work. So I tried an independent RV repair shop a couple of months ago and had a mostly positive experience.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The answer, IMO, is whether you will need to have all work done by a dealer or whether you can do much of the work yourself.

I have a friend who is definitely mechanically challenged. It would not be good for him to depend on his abilities to do the work necessary to keep an RV in good shape. In his case having a dealer near would be a necessity.

I had discussed with a relatively near dealer about him doing warranty work. He said that the people who buy from him go to the head of the line. He said he would do warranty work, but I needed to be aware of his priorities. That being said I had to get the some electrical work done under warranty, and he had the trailer all of two days. So it worked out just fine. I live near Kansas City, and bought our toyhauler in Knoxville, TN.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 2nd TT locally. 2 years latter they went out of business. Anything can happen. I always look out for #1.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I would not count on the dealer for much, that way if you get a good one it's a bonus. I bought from a large dealer 45 minutes from my house. Clueless service writer, poorly trained summer help, and far too much on their plate. I had a couple of warranty issues, they were no help at all.

My only consolation is they had the lowest price on the TT I wanted.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Here are the Holiday Rambler dealers in your area. Boat N RV in Coxsackie, NY is 90 miles from you.

We bought new and never returned to the selling dealer. Are you buying new?

Holiday Rambler used to have a very good reputation. Hopefully for you they still do if that's the one you decide on. I'm sure they would work with you, if needed.

https://www.holidayrambler.com/dealer-location-results
I called them, they are no longer a dealer and will only service HR that they have sold already.

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone for the help. Much appreciated!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Heck yeah. i was not about to pay the local take it or leave it guy 5 grand extra.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I did. Bought my 5er 250 miles away. Nearest dealers are 50 and 70 miles away. Better deal 250 miles away. Never been back to any dealer. Had a warranty issue and the MFG set me up with an independent RV shop. That was 6 seasons ago.