cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bike rack platform style

gkenworth
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. I'm curious about a 4 bike platform style rack that hooks into the 2" reciever on the back of my fiver. I know all about the dangers of a tradition bike rack, where the bike tubes hang on t rack. I've witnessed them bouncing and banging . I mounted this style on the pin box of my fiver. Loved it, worked great. But as the kids bikes get bigger, I note that the bike tubes are bigger and won't fit on the rack on front anymore.
Question is, Has anyone had bad luck with the platform style bike rack on the back of a trailer?
Tia
IMHO
7 REPLIES 7

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
If you are referring to the bouncing caused by the loose connection between the receiver and the hitch, there is a solution. Roadmaster sells a product called a "quiet hitch" that secures the hitch to the receiver. go to roadmasterinc.com.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I use a sportwing bike rack, It hangs the bikes by the rims so it fits any style bike and is adjustable for wheelbase. I also converts from a 2 bike to a 4 bike very easily. I paid less than $200 for it on Amazon a couple years ago but the price has went up since then.

I like the platform bike racks from Yakima and Thule but they hang out so far from the mount, this one collapses much smaller... and it's much cheaper.

Here's a u-tube video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy1kkliNc8A
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Quartermoon
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Kuat NV platform rack normally (when we go biking), but not on camping trips. We tried it on the back of the fiver - seemed logical since we already owned the expensive bike rack and loved it. However, the bikes rocked back and forth too much. We tried bungeeing the bikes to the back ladder after putting them on the Kuat, but they still had too much movement. With the road bikes, it might have eventually worked, but I discovered that the mountain bikes which have straight handle bars were hitting the big rear window of the fiver. We decided to abandon the idea before we completely shattered the window.

We switched to a Yakima roof-mount system on top of the truck. Works well since you don't have to worry about the height (the fiver is taller than the bikes), and they are out of the way. Also, someone would have to work pretty hard to get at them, so I don't worry about them when we stop to eat or whatever.
2016 Ford F250
2014 Open Range Light 318RL

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
I have one I purchased about 10 years ago. It was sold under the name of Coleman. Took 2 bikes to Alaska and back without any problems. The only drawback is the rack will only hold 2 bikes which is fine for just the wife and me.

dhust
Explorer
Explorer
I never had a platform, but I did have one of these bike racks on my other trailer.

I got it because of the bouncing I had seen with the receiver style bike racks. There are 2 of these attached to the bumper (1 for each bike wheel). I never had any problem using it. This particular model held 4 bikes, but because of the spare tire, I could only put 3 on it. There is another version that holds 2 bikes, but we had 3 kids that wanted to bring the bikes.

I never had any problems using it, and the bumper never showed any issues. We used it for about 5 years before the kids moved out, and I just haven't put it on my new trailer. Since I only bring 1 bike now (and then it is only occasionally), I'm not sure I want the extra length behind the trailer.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
After I get bikes on the rack I cover them profusely with bunji cords to prevent banging together and big vibrations.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
If it helps I have an integrated cargo rack on my TT that I use for bikes. I put four on it and they are always secure when I check every time we stop. My tray though is attached in two places, not just a reciever hitch.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK