cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bleach treated water on lawn?

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if bleach treated water would be safe to dump on the lawn? I have 2 15 gallon jugs with 1/4 cup bleach each in them and 4 5 gallon jugs with a spot of bleach in them. Not that I'm all worried about water use but it seems a waste to dump 50 gallons plus the rinse water out in the dirt when the grass could use some.

Just picked up the blue 15 gallon jugs and figured I had better disinfect them since I know nothing about the jugs. Decided I might as well do a few 5 gallon jugs why I was at it. Getting my hunting camp gear together.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.
15 REPLIES 15

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
And if questioned - The dog did it.

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Try a gallon or so on the neighbors lawn. Seems to be getting mixed answers here, then you will know for sure.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
If you're worried, leave the caps off the tanks for a couple days and then dump it. Then water it in.

I had tropical fish tanks for many years and periodically added chlorinated city water to the tanks. The drill is to fill a gallon milk jug and then let it sit with the cap off for a few days before adding to the tank (chlorine is tropical fish kryptonite). As was stated above, chlorine breaks down quickly, especially in sunlight.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
Muddydogs wrote:
Wondering if bleach treated water would be safe to dump on the lawn? I have 2 15 gallon jugs with 1/4 cup bleach each in them and 4 5 gallon jugs with a spot of bleach in them. Not that I'm all worried about water use but it seems a waste to dump 50 gallons plus the rinse water out in the dirt when the grass could use some.

Just picked up the blue 15 gallon jugs and figured I had better disinfect them since I know nothing about the jugs. Decided I might as well do a few 5 gallon jugs why I was at it. Getting my hunting camp gear together.

Having used up to a cup of bleach in +-3 gals. your 1/4 cup should not hurt a thing, like you said the grass will like it.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Been dumping my water tank sanitize solution which is 1 cup bleach to 15 gallons of water on the lawn for years. Never have had a problem with it. It's Kentucky Blue which is a finicky grass.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Flapper wrote:
You will have no problem.

Bleach tends to break down fairly quickly, unless it has been very well sealed and not exposed to heat or light. So if yours has been sitting around for a while, it's concentration is already lower. Health departments make restaurants use bleach water for sanitizing tables, counters, etc., and they mandate that it has to be used within a pretty short time after mixing, just due to that issue.

Secondly, the bleach that is present will combine with any dust, dirt and soil in the grass, and dissipate very rapidly. Ask any pool owner about what happens to all his chlorine in a rain storm...

^^X2 on this^^
In a matter of a couple of days, you will lose most chlorine residual. Even if the chlorine was fresh, its been diluted enough to not matter.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
I havn't had an issue with 1 cup bleach in 42 gal water.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I had some nice Albino lawn for a while after sanitizing my water system and dumping it on the lawn LOL. It didnt kill the grass but did turn it white.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. Not a problem as it is diluted.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
You will have no problem.

Bleach tends to break down fairly quickly, unless it has been very well sealed and not exposed to heat or light. So if yours has been sitting around for a while, it's concentration is already lower. Health departments make restaurants use bleach water for sanitizing tables, counters, etc., and they mandate that it has to be used within a pretty short time after mixing, just due to that issue.

Secondly, the bleach that is present will combine with any dust, dirt and soil in the grass, and dissipate very rapidly. Ask any pool owner about what happens to all his chlorine in a rain storm...
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, do it all the time. No issue

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will be fine at those levels.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I power wash my driveway every year and afterwards spray water/bleach at 60/40 and rinse off. Has never seemed to have bother trees and bushes at the edge although the worms do squiggle. I would water my lawn and go on.

Of course you could always do a test patch.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Throw it on the grass and water it in, shouldn't be a problem.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton