cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue Ox Sway Pro, Anderson or Equalizier ?

scottygl68
Explorer
Explorer
The title pretty much ask the question. Between the three, which would you choose? Not looking at Hensley or Pull Rite, just want to compare these three. Am looking at acquiring a TT around the 30ft area, towing with a Cummins 5.9 CTR single wheel.
26 REPLIES 26

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Blue Ox No popping or groaning, no sway, no back up problem all in all very pleased with the Blue Ox.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't towed with the other brands, so I claim no authority, but my Equalizer has been rock solid (albeit a noisy rock) on a couple of trailers and a couple of trucks.

I've never quite gotten over my concern about sway, but I've never run into it, even in South Dakota's wind. The whole rig moves as one, regardless of wind, semis, or whatever else we've run into. If I needed another, I'd buy one again.

I do wish the thing was lighter, though. My back isn't what it used to be.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

natedog_37
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Blue OX Pro
Nathan N.
2012 Ram Crew cab 4x4 Hemi
2014 Springdale 297BHSSR

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a Reese Dual Cam for 12 years. It was a good hitch but it was a PITA to adjust (our loadout varies) and was really noisy. It could be quirky at times.

Just bought a new TT and this time I chose an Equalizer. Reasons? Many..

- Don't like drilling big holes in my frame.
- No more chains.
- Ease of hookup and ease of adjustment.
- #1400 bar option - the comparable Reese SC goes from #1200 to #1500.
- Reputation and proven design.
- Made in America. The new Reese hitches are made in China.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Have only used an Equal-i-zer so that has to get my vote. Tow a 35' TT and have never had sway. Tows great and from what I understand it's one of the few WDH's you can back with without removing the bars. Again, just what I've heard as I've never used anything else. Does pop and groan though. But that just means it's working right?
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
I worked through the Equal-i-zer site and figured I would need 12K bars.My tongue weight wass just over 900 lbs and I often carry fuel and a small generator as well as more water than I had when I weighed it last (scales are hard to come by here).

If I look at the Blue Ox, would I be looking at 1500 lb bars? Seems quite a jump and I am wondering if they are stiffer. Still deciding between the two Blue Ox and Equal-i-zer).
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Shane549
Explorer
Explorer
I just downsized to a TT from 3 fivers and was concerned about how
it would handle. Went with a Blue Ox based on good friend with a
lot TT travel under his belt. Can not comment on the others but
I can say I was amazed how well the rig handled. Even with P tires.
2014 F150 SCREW 2wd 3:55 E locker Ecoboost
2015 Keystone Laredo 240MK
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Mable (the Boston Bull Terrier)

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm pleased with my Equalizer, but a buddy has the Blue Ox Pro and really likes it. Looks like a very good setup that is building a loyal following. Have not read any negative about the Blue Ox Pro.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Andersen and the box on my TT is about 26 ft. My TV is much less HD than yours.

We really feel the semi's passing us and we've had the Ford electronic anti-sway kick in on us several times while on freeways. I love the ease of setup, but it doesn't add enough stability for me. If we have more issues this camping season I'll likely try the Reese Dual Cam next.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I chose Blue Ox over three years ago, and am happy with how it works.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my EQ for over 10 years and have been very satisfied with it. I've never experienced that bumpy ride thing. In fact, when it's hooked up, my truck handles much more stable and firmly than non-towing. It does get a little messy and can be noisy. That new Blue Ox Sway Pro is looking pretty good too. If I buy another bumper pull trailer, I will seriously consider switching.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Steeljag wrote:
Five years with the Equal-I-zer brand hitch with no issues. Like it, and would buy another!

Same with me. Nine years using an Equal-i-zer hitch. I'm very satisfied with it. No compelling reason to change.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I tow with a 12K Equali-z-er and it has been great; no real sway and my rig is level. It's simple to hitch, unhitched and I can back up without disconnecting anything.