cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Californianos Hang Onto Yer Britches...!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Might be a good idea to secure loose items, cover solar panels, and even tarp the rig...

The "Pineapple Express" is coming later today and it's my opinion the weather gurus are WAY understating the power of this storm. Mostly northern California but central California is not exempt.

Seenyore Niner Bikes might want to beware of hillsides that no longer want to play the side part.

And this storm is going to continue eastbound. All the way across the northern 48.

Having a minor in meteorology allow me to read weather charts and I have a very strong series of memories about the Pineapple Express. A huge storm passes, then a "surprise" storm follows on it's heels, then gurus chant "They're lined up all the way to Hawaii" then a few days later "Well, shut my mouth, now the storms extend all the way to the Philippines".

If there's one thing I have LOTS of experience with, its @#$%^&! storms and biblical quantities of rainfall.....grumble.....snarf.

Take care and don't bother washing the rig. This monster is going to test the watertight integrity of your rolling escape hatch...
91 REPLIES 91

Admin
landyacht318 wrote:
When I saw this thread had been moved from tech issues, I had to hunt a little bit to find it. Would be nice to be told which forum it was moved to. Just a thought.

If you click on the thread in Tech Issues, it automatically takes you directly here.

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
When I saw this thread had been moved from tech issues, I had to hunt a little bit to find it. Would be nice to be told which forum it was moved to. Just a thought.

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Tech Issues Forum.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
NWS is issuing Flash Flood, Hi Wind, Hi Surf warnings for Southern Calif.

It'll be interesting to see how this one goes.. I've noticed that the farther in advance they forecast the severity of the storm, the stronger it is to overcome the Pacific influence that usually buffers the storm pretty good. They could forecast the last El Niรฑo 6 days out and be dead on...
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Well its after 11 in sacto,,, No wind,,, Warm out,,, Just took the dog for a walk,,,Stars are beautiful..
I know,,,"Calm Before the Storm",,,, But REALLY??? This is a Media hype!! Is it a Tropical Storm?,,A Hurricane??
I hope I am wrong,,, we need it,, But I have not heard a single thing about SANTA Coming to Town,,, But I feel I need to have snacks ready for the Storm!!!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Myself, I prefer the SHiPS model. I am going to wait and see how this shapes up. Thr monster Winter of 1983 started this way, as did a subsequent dozen that fizzled. It all depends on the jet stream
I haven't looked at the ENSO models yet, but the jet can easily sag five degrees in latitude. Hate to tell you what that would mean.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Weather Nerds might want to bookmark this weather model:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops/wxloop.cgi?gfs_pcpn_slp_thkn+///6

I'm not saying the GFS is the end all be all of weather models, but a few days out is is pretty good.

I hope it is a good rain event without too much collateral damage to the northern part of the state which will bear the brunt of it.

I'd love to see a good storm down here closer to the border, but usually they start fizzling by the islands, and I'm not sure I've seen a SW or SE or NW wind over 30Mph in my 20 years living here.

This place could use a good Nor'easter to wake some people up.

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler II wrote:
landyacht318 wrote:
Traveler II wrote:
We just got to Bakersfield, CA yesterday from Minnesota:)

You should just prepare to laugh your behind off at what passes for a storm in California, compared to what you see in Minnesota.

Perhaps if you were up at elevation you'd raise an eyebrow, but in the valley, You'll be doing a belly laugh.

Good to hear, the news has been going on all day about this storm, more than I'm use to hearing so it got me thinking that we might be in for something harsh.

That's' s Bakersfield news for you. Not much else to report so they go overboard. At least it will blow out all the fog and bad air.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is supposedly the biggest storm in two years or so to hit northern California. Big deal, there have been almost no normal storms in the last two years in California and certainly not a big one. Expectation is mostly wind, some rain, two feet of snow at over 7000 feet in the Sierras. Californians are so eager to see a storm they almost 'will' it to come especially the ski resorts. Just don't stop the rain dancing because the weather guys says this storm will put down lots of moisture.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
In las penas, in 2006, it rained NINETEEN INCHES in 23 hours. According to an expensive N.I.S.T. NWS weather station I manage. So hard, birds drowned by the thousands, and rain wash flooded off the bluffs it looked like Niagara Falls. This was between bursts. During a burst visibility was three feet at noon. I also remember a marathon of Scrabble, cheese and wine at Lake Tahoe in 1968. When I went to leave I opened the front door to a solid wall of white. The wind has drifted snow to the rafters. Lucky for me I had a Jeep but it took a half hour to drive a mile and a half.

I can offer this: The only time I have ever had a valid CO alarm go off was from a hot water heater being buffeted by high oncoming Windsor. When the 2nd alarm went off in the bedroom I shut down the hot water and space heaters. Bad Juju.

Orphamedora
Explorer
Explorer
It's all just hype!
'83 Winnebago Brave 23 ft.

MrWizard
i think was the year, the rain flooded the ventura river and washed out the ventura RV park
and MHs and TTs were floating down the river and hitting the bridge

i remember that very well

sepulveda basin behind the dam
a fire truck went down woodley ave, to rescue somebody stuck in a tree and flooded out the fire truck

a helicopter pulled the person from a tree, then rescued the firemen
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
Traveler II wrote:
We just got to Bakersfield, CA yesterday from Minnesota:)

You should just prepare to laugh your behind off at what passes for a storm in California, compared to what you see in Minnesota.

Perhaps if you were up at elevation you'd raise an eyebrow, but in the valley, You'll be doing a belly laugh.

Good to hear, the news has been going on all day about this storm, more than I'm use to hearing so it got me thinking that we might be in for something harsh.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
In the early 90s ('93, if memory serves), I was sitting in my office in a tower in Sherman Oaks with a view of the Sepulveda basin. In 24 hours 18 inches of rain fell, courtesy of a Pineapple Express.

At Baldy Notch, where the wet tropical air collided with cold continental air, six feet of snow fell overnight, and Mt. Baldy Ski Lifts was transformed overnight into some of the best powder skiing in north america.

We were skiing that year, in Los Angeles county, until the first week of June.

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler II wrote:
We just got to Bakersfield, CA yesterday from Minnesota, wanted to get out of the cold. See the storm is coming and how best should we prepare? Iโ€™ve filled the water tank, full propane tanks have not put out anything that might blow away, plus have supplies for a week. Weโ€™re going to stay put and paid for a weeks stay. What else should we do from people familiar with these types of storms? Still have my winter survivor kit in the truck, but hopefully we wonโ€™t need it ๐Ÿ™‚

We really don't get much here. They're predicting 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch for this storm. The wind is supposed to really blow up to 60mph and the storm is supposed to roll through after 11pm tomorrow night.

Just a word of caution if it is windy and they're is dust blowing in the air STAY INSIDE. There is a fungus in our dirt that causes Valley Fever and can make you very ill. Sypmtoms like the flu, but lingers with a nasty cough and can have other more severe consequences.