cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CalMark RV Cover

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about covering our new trailer and would like opinions on this brand of cover. I've got a quote for around $1,000 plus shipping. That's quite a bit more than the ADCO brand, but this one is made from Sunbrella.

Do they hold up well over time? Will it keep the camper from fading? I'm reading where people are replacing the cheaper ones every couple years or so. Not finding much info on the CalMarks.

Thanks
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion
7 REPLIES 7

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the Adco Sunbrella covers. It's really nicely made and heavy duty. We bought it for our 36' DP and rarely used it. It's soooo heavy that it's difficult to put on. I would only suggest buying one if you need to cover your RV for several months, like winter storage. Ours is like brand new and is in the original bag. It won't fit our new coach.

Since it was originally so difficult to install, I bolted a large out door plastic garden box (from Home Depot) atop a rod iron fence that I back my coach up to. From the roof, I could pull the cover out of the box and drag it into place. It was just to heavy to pull it up each time.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
We are going on the 4th year with our Calmark cover. If I was going to buy another cover, it would be made by Calmark! Sunbrella fabric in a custom fit for your RV.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Basically, it sounds like about $100/year no matter how you slice it. Which if it keeps a new camper looking new I'm OK with that. $1,000.00 is a lot though, I can put up an aluminum carport for that.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
CampingN.C. wrote:
I'm thinking about covering our new trailer and would like opinions on this brand of cover. I've got a quote for around $1,000 plus shipping. That's quite a bit more than the ADCO brand, but this one is made from Sunbrella.

Do they hold up well over time? Will it keep the camper from fading? I'm reading where people are replacing the cheaper ones every couple years or so. Not finding much info on the CalMarks.

Thanks

Sunbrella is always going to be the most expensive fabric. Take a look at Goldline covers, they look interesting. I've had a couple of the ADDCO Tyvec covers and they last 2-3 years in hot So Cal sun.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:

Thanks

It looks like I'm going to get a little over 3 years out of my ADCO "designer" cover, the one with the tyvek top and not a custom fit. I paid $300 for it. I could buy 3 of them for the price of a Calmarks and get 10 years of use. I doubt any cover made out of any fabric would last 10 years in the AZ sun and wind. So for me, I wouldn't buy a $1000 cover.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
And I'll bet that even less than 1/3 of RV owners regularly wax their RV. While it is true that most of the RV's I see in storage are not covered, they are much more dirtier and hotter inside than mine.

To the OP - I use an ADCO cover, and it is starting to get thin in places. I don't know what Sunbrella is, but if you want to cover your RV, and plan on always doing so, then it may not be a bad idea to invest in a quality one. I don't think I'd buy another ADCO - but it does keep my TT clean and cooler inside while stored. Make sure you can get into it via zippered access while covered.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Based on what I have read on the RV Forums the covers only last about 5 years for a good one and a few years for the cheap ones. If in a windy area the cover may only last through one good wind storm.

In addition, most RVers get tired of putting the cover on and taking it off. We have stored our 20 year old 5th wheel in three different RV storage lots. In the lots only 1/3 of the RVs were covered. The bottom line, the majority of RVers don't or have stopped using cloth/Tyvek type covers.

The best way to maintain the exterior of your RV is to wax it once or twice per year and wash it regularly. Our 20 year old that has sat out in the weather 24/7 everyday since new, still looks new each time it is detailed with the exception of the decals (which we removed).