cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp Host sites - typical size rigs that fit

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are interested in spending several months a year as camp hosts in state parks, national parks and national forests in the US - and maybe Canada if possible.

Currently we have a 30 ft. TT with one big slide which can fit in most sites at state parks in Maryland, but we we are considering something bigger.

We are looking at possibly buying a 30 ft. 5th wheel or maybe even a 35 ft. 5th wheel with 3 slides. I know this will limit the number of campsites we will fit in at state and national parks, and especially national forest sites.

But my question is how much will this limit our options as Camp Hosts at state and national state parks and forests across the US?

Do the Camp Host sites tend to be the larger campsites?

Is a triple slide 5th wheel (with opposing slides in the rear living area) going to be a size/width issue?

DW and I would like to hear thoughts and comments from people on this topic with experience as Camp Hosts or that have seen lots of Camp Host sites in their travels.

Thanks,
Ed
9 REPLIES 9

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
wepampercampers wrote:
we hosted for 8 years or so, we had a 32 ft. 5th wheel, with 3 slides and didn't have any issues, lots of hosts had bigger rigs than ours since we are spending more time than regular weekends work campers often go for bigger rigs........but a sneak peak is to look at recreation.gov and the reservation system for where you are working has site length's............but whoever you will be working for also will have details on type of hook-ups and space size, be sure to ask about vehicle parking if you have more than 1. happy trails

We have done exactly that ... it is so nice to know before arriving what size the site is plus from what direction we needed to be coming in order to easily back into a Host/Volunteer spot

At one state campground we arrived while the previous Host was leaving, and they advised us to not go into the site like they did, but to go in so that our rig would be angled differently.

Stepping out and looking around, we could see that it was one thing to back into the site, but quite another to pull directly out due to the fact that the Host site was in the state campground's cabin area. Area not designed for general camping.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

wepampercampers
Explorer
Explorer
we hosted for 8 years or so, we had a 32 ft. 5th wheel, with 3 slides and didn't have any issues, lots of hosts had bigger rigs than ours since we are spending more time than regular weekends work campers often go for bigger rigs........but a sneak peak is to look at recreation.gov and the reservation system for where you are working has site length's............but whoever you will be working for also will have details on type of hook-ups and space size, be sure to ask about vehicle parking if you have more than 1.

happy trails

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a fit problem I would guess it would be with national forest campgrounds. I havenโ€™t seen many that will take a 35โ€™ unit, either because of site size or the road into the cg. There are probably some highly developed ones along the pavement that you could get into, though.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We're 35 ft 5th wheel there are a few host sites we've found that we would not fit but on the other hand they usually are not FHU's so we don't bother with them anyway.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
All of them I've seen are big enough to take any size rig.

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
Here at Foscue Creek, a COE park in Demopolis Alabama, you can get any size RV on the host spots.
Good luck..
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
2004 Dodge 3500 (Diesel DRW)
Advanced Air Rider hitch

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
We have already camp hosted for 8 years. If it is any help, we are thinking of a new trailer and 35-36 feet would not be a problem at all in most parks we have been in.

I am just guessing here, but I don't think you would have a problem up to 40 feet.

Get specific when you are offered a position at a specific park. Ask.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Camp hosts sites generally tend to be a bit bigger and more accessable than many of the rental sites, usually because the hosts like to set up their site for a longer stay. Also, some tend to have a lot of visitors coming by to visit or just to be socialable.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

F105
Explorer
Explorer
It would probably be best to contact each park you would be interested in being a host.