cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper Slides Forward When Unhitching

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
When we came back from our last trip it was raining when we packed up and was still raining when we got home and backed the TT in the slightly sloped to the road driveway. We put one of those orange plastic chocks under a tire on each side of the TT and then placed a 6x6 under the tongue and began extending the power jack. When the TT released from the ball it slid towards the truck a tiny bit.

Would this possibly be from all the wood, the chocks and driveway being wet? Is the TT coming sliding forward a hair acceptable?

I'm assuming that since we installed the chocks and then were lifting the front of the TT up that the tires went back away from the chocks ever so slightly since the front of the TT was being raised.

Should we install the chocks and then drive up them a bit next time before trying to unhitch? Any other suggestions?
15 REPLIES 15

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
I use Rotochocks on our 35' camper. They are the first thing I install when I'm getting ready to unhook and the last thing I remove before we drive off.

Years ago I had a small camper take off on me, had it not stopped rolling by itself it would have been a dangerous disaster. Getting Rotochocks was a necessity for us.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
cm11599ps wrote:
dcmac214 wrote:
If it's a 2-axle use X-type chocks (or make your own - easy). Otherwise all of the above.

I actually have a set in the mail as I type. I've heard mixed reviews about installing them prior to unhitching so I think I'd rather err on the side of caution and only install them once I'm level.

:H

Chocks.....even the X-Chocks........FIRST thing on/LAST thing off

IF you are going to 'err on the side of caution' install them before unhitching.

That's what they are for.........blocking the tires to prevent trailer from moving when unhitching from tow vehicle.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
The first time I unhooked on this trip I stuck a large wood block cut at an angle on one side. I was a little nervous even though I was parked on a dry level asphalt surface. I had been using Rotochoks on my other RV and did not realize they would would not fit the newer RV with closer wheel spacing. I had the correct size ordered and waiting for me when I arrived in NY. When you consider the fact that thousands of dollars damage can occur due to inadequate choks spending a couple hundred dollars for protection instead of using plastic ones seems like a no-brainer. Get something like THIS or THESE ROTOCHOKS THAT I OWN, do not take the risk of using something cheap.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
cm11599ps wrote:

Should we install the chocks and then drive up them a bit next time before trying to unhitch? Any other suggestions?

This. This will cause a bit of tension and prevent sliding forward.

Paul

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on "loading the chocks". I leave my rear chocks in place at the storage yard. Gives me a target when backing it in. I back in till the chocks stop the trailer. I then give it a little gas, hit the parking break and put it in park. Then place the front chocks. Put the truck in neutral, release the parking break and let the trailer settle into the chocks. Then put the truck in park and commence the unhitching process. Usually I have less than an inch of movement as the truck and trailer have already had the opportunity to go where they want when I had it in neutral.
When it's time to rehitch I have to release the pressure on the chocks to pull them. I do this by reversing the process.
My "leave in place chocks" are just pieces of old wood fence post cut at a 45. If someone feels they need them more than me, they can have them. I'll make more.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use wood chocks and " load "the chocks each time that I unhitch ! Place the chocks , roll forward until the chocks stop the load , put truck in neutral for a second to unload the ball , jack it up . Worked for me for 40 years .
Some of the cheap yellow plastic chocks have a lip on the face that prevents them from contacting much tire . I take landscape timbers from Lowes and with my saw I cut 45 degree faces on a piece about 6 inches long , then eye hooks and tie two together with cord long enough to reach both tires on a side . Easy to carry and store . I hate plastic anything .

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't thin about the x chocks. You should have them already anyway in my opinion. Ey work great at helping stabilizing the trailer. We have a set of them, but won't be able to use them with the motorhome. Think I will give them to our neighbor who just jot a TT a couple months ago.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

elliott-Maine
Explorer
Explorer
When you back in a trailer and chock it, and lift it, you develop a load on the springs and shackles. When you unhitch it, the trailer may appear to move forward but it might just be the springs unloading and not the trailer moving.
Elliott & Vicky, and Hanna, our GSD as the back seat driver
2014 Redwood 36RE, dual pane windows, Onan, and lots more
2013 RAM dually,4x4, Cummins, Aisin

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
If it's a 2-axle use X-type chocks (or make your own - easy). Otherwise all of the above.

I actually have a set in the mail as I type. I've heard mixed reviews about installing them prior to unhitching so I think I'd rather err on the side of caution and only install them once I'm level.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
get the rubber type chocks, they will give you much more confidence that they will stay put. Moving the jack up and down will cause the trailer to move some so having chocks in which you have confidence is important. FYI, I got mine from Harbour Freight
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

turbopilot51
Explorer
Explorer
You could get a rubber mallet and hammer your chocks snug on either side of the tt tires. Or you could get some metal x-chocks for tandem axle that will secure your rv.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Take a rubber mallet to the plastic chocks is another idea.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic chocks on cement with a slope. I would imagine it's allowing some slippage,especially if wet.

Also possible that the electric tongue jack may be slipping on the wet wood.

I went to our local tractor supply yesterday and bought some heavy duty rubber chocks for parking our class C in our sloping (towards house) driveway. You might want to look into something like that. Might aid in slipping.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L