cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping at 27 degrees.

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
We are new fulltimers,with 2007 bounder class a 38v. We are trying to stick around sw p.a. till thanksgiving, they are calling for low around 27 degrees. We have ducted heat,2 furnaces,with supposed basement heat so say's owners manual. I am going to disconnect from shore water and just use fresh tank,keep heat on 70,leave luggage lights on (1156) in wet storage,leave gray water open as always & empty black then shut and add antifreeze.Should that be good enough ?Thanks Shannon.
62 REPLIES 62

dedmiston
JRscooby wrote:
OTOH, your declaration that I was saying "eff you" is not true.

Thank you for politely telling me that I'm wrong.

I'm sorry though that you missed the opportunity to learn about how people interpret your posts.

At least it should solve one of the mysteries about why your posts sometimes get deleted.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
MFL wrote:
^^Bobbo is correct!

time2roll is correct, but does not apply!

JRscooby is wrong, or did not comprehend what time2roll said!

Well a contractor was using a catalytic heater in trailer to keep supplies from freezing. I was doing some repairs on equipment on jobsite, and every time I walked in that trailer glasses would fog up. If that moisture was all coming from me, the lenses would of fogged outside, cleared in the warmer air.

The operative point is he took a separate heater WITH ITS COMBUSTION CHAMBER into the trailer. We have already established that will put moisture into the trailer. It is not something that any trailer manufacturer includes as standard or optional equipment.

I went back to TimetoRoll's post, and re-read it. First couple of times I saw n't that was not there, so my response was wrong.
Anytime you convert propane to heat you put moisture in the air, and remove oxygen from it. So, IMHO, people should not share air in a limited area with any kind of heater for very long at a time. Now there are claims the unvented catalytic are safe inside living space, but I would not bet my life/sleep in the room with one.
(BTW, I know the low ox sensor has shut down my Little Buddy heater, but I will not go sleep with it on.)

Agree with you 100% on the Buddy heaters. We have the Big Buddy and only use it during the day and with a window vented a little. We've never slept with it on.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
MFL wrote:
Not directing this at Scooby, but many on a public forum, lack spelling, grammar , and reading comprehension skills. Not all members are educated at the same level. While all are important, reading comprehension matters most, before responding. Many times the OP, made by someone asking a question, is vague, lacking needed information, making response difficult, without providing further information.

Good points, Jerry.

Adding to this...

There are good ways and bad ways to get one's point across that don't involve bickering like a four year old: "Ya huh!" "Nuh uhh".

I think I deleted two posts in this thread (so far), one that just said "False", which is the online equivalent to "eff you" and another that started with "Wrong." for the same reason.

Most of you are clever enough people to get your points across better than that. Don't let your quest to be right make you wrong.

Thank you for deleting the post where I mis-read, than declared a post was wrong. OTOH, your declaration that I was saying "eff you" is not true. I consider it a invitation to explain why you believe a statement. Anytime my idea challenged, I will back it up with my experience, or back away from it. Much more is learned from the exchange of ideas, than if whoever posts first is declared right.

BTW, I'm truly sorry I did not look back at the post sooner.

dedmiston
MFL wrote:
Not directing this at Scooby, but many on a public forum, lack spelling, grammar , and reading comprehension skills. Not all members are educated at the same level. While all are important, reading comprehension matters most, before responding. Many times the OP, made by someone asking a question, is vague, lacking needed information, making response difficult, without providing further information.

Good points, Jerry.

Adding to this...

There are good ways and bad ways to get one's point across that don't involve bickering like a four year old: "Ya huh!" "Nuh uhh".

I think I deleted two posts in this thread (so far), one that just said "False", which is the online equivalent to "eff you" and another that started with "Wrong." for the same reason.

Most of you are clever enough people to get your points across better than that. Don't let your quest to be right make you wrong.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby said:

"I went back to TimetoRoll's post, and re-read it. First couple of times I saw n't that was not there, so my response was wrong."

I suspected your wrong response was a reading comprehension issue, glad you went back to reread.

I think the OP got his answer early on, and good info on propane combustion venting followed.

Marty has mentioned camping in the severe cold, in his trailer, while enjoying skiing with his family. If he had entire family in that trailer, down to zero degrees at times, imagine the amount of moisture created from possibly 6 people breathing. Had to be a fun, memorable, family experience, which is what RVing is all about!

Jerry

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
MFL wrote:
^^Bobbo is correct!

Well a contractor was using a catalytic heater in trailer to keep supplies from freezing. I was doing some repairs on equipment on jobsite, and every time I walked in that trailer glasses would fog up. If that moisture was all coming from me, the lenses would of fogged outside, cleared in the warmer air.

The operative point is he took a separate heater WITH ITS COMBUSTION CHAMBER into the trailer. We have already established that will put moisture into the trailer. It is not something that any trailer manufacturer includes as standard or optional equipment.

I went back to TimetoRoll's post, and re-read it. First couple of times I saw n't that was not there, so my response was wrong.
Anytime you convert propane to heat you put moisture in the air, and remove oxygen from it. So, IMHO, people should not share air in a limited area with any kind of heater for very long at a time. Now there are claims the unvented catalytic are safe inside living space, but I would not bet my life/sleep in the room with one.
(BTW, I know the low ox sensor has shut down my Little Buddy heater, but I will not go sleep with it on.)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
MFL wrote:
^^Bobbo is correct!

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

blt2ski
spoon059 wrote:
I'll fully admit that I don't understand how the science of things work... but an electric resistance heater will dry the air and you won't have excessive condensation inside the camper. The propane heater doesn't dry the air and its quite common to have excess condensation inside the trailer.

Between LP fridge, heat, probably being at elevation, below freezing temps, lots of moisture was in my TT at local ski area. Din not have as many issues using in summer months.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:
I'll fully admit that I don't understand how the science of things work... but an electric resistance heater will dry the air and you won't have excessive condensation inside the camper. The propane heater doesn't dry the air and its quite common to have excess condensation inside the trailer.
All things equal the relative humidity drops with increased temperature. This is why the cold window or a cold beer sweats. The air in proximity cools and becomes more humid to the point the moisture actually precipitates out of the air and onto the item.

Same effect no matter the heat source.

Unvented combustion of any hydrocarbon produces moisture. Wiki has the chemistry if someone needs to see it.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
^^Bobbo is correct!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^Bobbo is correct!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Portable unvented catalytic propane heater does put out moisture.

False

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Notice that I was addressing the TRAILER'S furnace. You can definitely carry things INTO the trailer that put out moisture. An unvented catalytic propane heater is one, or anything burning propane that has the combustion chamber inside the trailer. A humidifier is another. If you want to address separate purchases that can do that. The number of OTHER THINGS you can carry into the trailer is large, so I limited myself to factory appliances.

And, I stand by my previous post.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Portable unvented catalytic propane heater does put out moisture.