cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping lag

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished our longest camping trip / longest distance traveled and I have to go back to work tomorrow. I can't get back in the normal routine after having crossed back and forth from different time zones a number of times recently for days at a time with no alarm clock / schedule / routine.....Then it hit me it's "camping lag" rather than jet lag! ๐Ÿ™‚
12 REPLIES 12

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
Just imagine what snowbirds must go through. By the time that they readjust from returning from 6 months on the road, it's time to go again.

When I got back into an S&B this spring, after living outdoors all winter, I was in the habit of going to bed at 7:30. O_o.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy Metal Doctor wrote:
Not just the after-trip feelings, but things started being a little weird as soon as we crossed the second time zone going out. Being our first time so far west, after so many years on the east coast, we both realized we felt strange the first few evenings on the road and realized it seems to stay light way longer out there.
It was more than just felling like it's 10PM while local time was only 8PM, but more like feeling the sun was still too far up to be 8pm -- like the quality of light that time of evening was more in the 5 or 6PM range. We figured part of it is the whole "big sky" thing as we are used to surrounding mountains / hills being more "close in". Sure seems like you can see 2 or 3 times farther out to the horizon and teh air is much clearer...maybe the lower humidity helps.

Were you maybe farther north, too?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Just imagine what snowbirds must go through. By the time that they readjust from returning from 6 months on the road, it's time to go again.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda the opposite of "Camper's Eve" right?

Years ago we setup our honeymoon so it was a 1 week cruise followed by about 5 more days in Florida. On the day before the cruise ship returned to port, we were amazed to watch people's moods change as they realized vacation was almost over.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
Not just the after-trip feelings, but things started being a little weird as soon as we crossed the second time zone going out. Being our first time so far west, after so many years on the east coast, we both realized we felt strange the first few evenings on the road and realized it seems to stay light way longer out there.
It was more than just felling like it's 10PM while local time was only 8PM, but more like feeling the sun was still too far up to be 8pm -- like the quality of light that time of evening was more in the 5 or 6PM range. We figured part of it is the whole "big sky" thing as we are used to surrounding mountains / hills being more "close in". Sure seems like you can see 2 or 3 times farther out to the horizon and teh air is much clearer...maybe the lower humidity helps.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
We endured camping lag and reluctance to return home at the end of each trip, be it two weeks or only a weekend.

We gave in, retired, and went full time.

Now, on Sunday, when all the working folks leave for home we sit under the awning with an adult beverage and wave goodbye. See ya next time.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Another condition that occurs concurrently with camper lag is the uncanny realization that the world has continued on it's unpredictable course without any contribution from you. In 1977, we took a three week cross country trip with no TV or radio. Didn't have to worry about cell phones or the Internet back then.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
We usually operate on home time, even if that means we are eating early or later than the locals. Of course we do not eat out much and there is nothing you can do about the hours that attractions are open.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
It's been over a month since we last camped and almost another month before we can again. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Having to work weekends a month or so at a time sucks. Especially during camping season...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
separated1 wrote:
Camping lag. Never thought of it that way, but so true. Once I'm back from a trip I have a hard time settling down and am always looking forward to my next 'fix' of RVing.

x2. Having a rough go getting motivated since arriving back at the s&b. So many projects...and a total lack of ambition/focus/umph (whatever you want to call it.)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

separated1
Explorer
Explorer
Camping lag. Never thought of it that way, but so true. Once I'm back from a trip I have a hard time settling down and am always looking forward to my next 'fix' of RVing.

debraindi
Explorer
Explorer
Good topic I have camping lag we just finished 2 weeks in San Antonio TX with our 2015 311 toy hauler and Harley . I can hardly wait to take off to the White mt day after tomorrow in AZ looking forward to riding and parting at White Mt motorcycle rally.
2013 LML Duramax
2015 311 Keystone Impact
200q 24 partycraft 150 mercury
Time out motor cycle trailer
2009 Harley RG 575 cams thunder-max tuned
1970 350 JD crawler loader